Enlighten Me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-16-2002, 12:11 PM
Enlighten Me

I just found out that I have uterine cancer nad have to have the uterus and cervix taken out. I found this out May 3rd. Bad day, my birthday is May 4th. The doctor has scheduled surgery for June 5th. Not alot of time to prepare. PLEASE, any information you can give me to help me prepare for this is most greatly appreciated. I am 35 with 3 small children. They are going to granma's for the summer. I just don't know where to begin. Thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Enlighten Me

First of, big hugs to you, Amy. What a challenge for you. Of course you have come to the right place and I suggest you check out the Cancer Concerns message board here. Those ladies have traveled the road you are on and can give you insight and support. We're all here for you but they especially know what you are feeling and thinking. I'm thinking powerful good thoughts that your cancer is contained and you will come through your surgery with flying colors.

Julie
Unread 05-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Enlighten Me

Hi!

Welcome to Hystersisters! Finding this site was your first step. There is so much information and advice here it's hard to tell you where to begin

At the bottom of the home page there are drop down menus with lists of suggestions for pre op questions, things to take to the hospital, other ladies stories, lots of other stuff. Here is the link to the home page: https://www.hystersisters.com/

There are also other message boards, there is Cancer Concerns, Aching Hearts, Alternatives to Hyst, Post op, the Hormone Jungle, Chatter, just to name a few.

I guess my first suggestion is to read, read, read, and get as much information as you can, then ask, ask, ask, to get answers to any questions you may have. There is no such thing as a "dumb" question, except one that you don't ask!

There is lots of love and support here, welcome aboard.

Best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 01:41 PM
You have come to the right place

Hi Amy and welcome!
This is the best site out there. I know you will find the support and helpful info you need here. It has become as addiction for some of us who are still waiting! My best advice on accomplishing what is needed before surgery. LISTS! You will find that you are probably going to get forgetful as you begin to prepare. It's OK. Brain Fog. We are here to answer any questions we can or to just be a shoulder to lean on. Glad to see you've joined us!
Unread 05-16-2002, 01:46 PM
Hi!

Amy,
s to you!!!
We have surgery the same day! We WILL get through this and we WILL feel better on the other side!!!
Think positive thoughts!!!
All the best!
Knowledge is power - read everything you can! This is a great site for knowledge and support!

Kelley
Unread 05-16-2002, 01:51 PM
Re: You have come to the right place

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil hellion
Hi Amy and welcome!
This is the best site out there. I know you will find the support and helpful info you need here. It has become as addiction for some of us who are still waiting! My best advice on accomplishing what is needed before surgery. LISTS! You will find that you are probably going to get forgetful as you begin to prepare. It's OK. Brain Fog. We are here to answer any questions we can or to just be a shoulder to lean on. Glad to see you've joined us!
Thanks. I am not looking forward to having this done. Theya re also going to tack my bladder back in place. I feel like I am turning into my mother.
Unread 05-16-2002, 01:59 PM
Welcome Amy -

Its wonderful that your mom can take your children for the summer! My m-i-l scheduled off 4 weeks so she can take mine. I did just breakdown however and called my mom in MN, to ask her to come and stay with me for a week. I felt like a baby, but she understands, as she went through this at my age too.

I want my mommy

Enough of my whining!

You've come to the right place - ask and your questions will be answered, by some wonderful princesses, ready to help guide us into the land of Hyster!

to you!
Unread 05-16-2002, 02:07 PM
Amy

The first step is thinking positive! Your life will improve. No more periods, no more pain. I know it's very scary, we are all a bit scared, but thank goodness that technology can save us from these terrible diseases. My Mom also had a hyst. She was 37, I am 34. I'm sure that part of you is still in a bit of shock. I am not dealing with the cancer issue or how you feel about losing your uterus. These are very personal thoughts for you. Some women grieve and just as many rejoice. We are with you whenever you need us! Your MIL is going to make your recovery so much easier!!! Hang in there!
Unread 05-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Enlighten Me

I found out I had "cancer" 4/10/2002, I was immediately referred to an oncologist
who scheduled my surgery 4/29/2002. I did not find out what type of cancer until
my 1st meeting with the oncologist on 4/17/2002. I went a whole week thinking the
worst! Take my advise, don't panic! Take it one day at a time and ask questions!

The Oncologist told me at last that my cancer was of the slow growing type 1.
While serious he felt confident that all the cancer could be removed with a
hysterectomy. My surgery went as scheduled 4/29/2002, they removed the
uterus and ovaries and as a bonus my appendix. The cancer had not went to the
lymph nodes. It was diagnosed a stage 1b and did not require subsequent chemo
or radiation. I was informed that I must be more diligant in my followups but that
all looks well at this time and my 1st followup will be 3 weeks post op.

I am 42, married only 3 years (first time) and have never had any children. The
most devasting thing to date is knowing I cant bear children. I am happy to be
alive and cancer free at this time. There are alternatives available later and I
am just focusing on recovery now.

I thank God for this web site and the sisters here. They have been there and have
responded to my posts promptly. They have been able to alleviate my fears that what
I am experiencing day to day is normal. My prayers are with you!
Unread 05-16-2002, 02:09 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am so sorry I totally understand what you are going through. I did not have cervical cancer but thyroid cancer. You will get through this. Just think they are going to take out all that bad stuff. I was really down but now I am on the mend and love the new me. I feel better knowing the cancer is gone. I am just 1 year older than you with 2 small kids.

You will get better . If you need anything personal message me and I will try to give you some support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register