Blood Clot Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood Clot Question Blood Clot Question

Unread 05-16-2002, 01:25 PM
Blood Clot Question

Along with all my other symptoms, I have passed blood clots during my period for years ranging in size from pea size to maybe golf ball size. I have mentioned this to my dr several times in the past as she just dismissed it. I seem to recall reading in some of the threads that blood clots can be a sign of adeno. So here is my question: Is is possible that this is just 'normal' for me, or is there a chance I may have adeno too? Thanks in advance for your responses. I am so glad I found this site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 01:30 PM
Oh Clots!!!

I started off with pea sized clots years ago. I think that's pretty normal. As the years have passed they have gotten about lemon sized. No tampon or pad holds them. They are nasty things that 'stretch' my vaginal opening as they pass. Sometimes I can feel them coming. Like hard labor pains and the pain takes my breath away. I have to brace myself sometimes to keep from falling. When I feel the really strong pains, I just sit on the toilet so that I won't have a messy accident. This began to have a terrible impact on my life as I could not leave the house. Mine are from enlarged uterus and fibroids. I am not familiar with adeno but I am sure someone will be along to share their experince with you. I would get a new DR if you suspect you have a problem. No one knows your body better than you do. Listen to your instincts!
Unread 05-16-2002, 01:33 PM
Blood Clot Question

Hi there!

This site is great, isn’t it? Where else could you find so much information on this subject? It think it would be great if doctors used it for a resource to help them better treat their patients and perhaps even to zero in on the cause of all this craziness!

Anyway, I also passed clots for many years. All different sizes. If I had a period with little or no clotting I was suspicious. My mother always told me that clotting was good. I’m sure like anything, too much of a ‘good’ thing isn’t always good. I did not have adeno. Just fibroids – lots of them!

My nineteen year old daughter also clots during her period and she is normal – no fibroids, no cysts, nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 01:35 PM
Blood Clot Question

CPlus, I really don't think passing clots is normal for anyone but I could be wrong. I had adeno and in my reading about it when I was pre, I found out that one of the symptoms is passing dark red to almost black-colored clots. That described mine exactly. Since I never passed clots before I knew this should be checked out. I also had alot of pain and pressure down there with my periods. I also had a cyst on my ovary so I had a D&C first and that is when my doctor diagnosed adenomyosis. I had my hyst 6 weeks later and the path report confirmed adeno. Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

Emily s
Unread 05-16-2002, 01:43 PM
Blood Clot Question

Something I read from Redbook, dime size clots can be normal. Several small ones or any the size of a grape or larger are not normal and need to be discussed with dr. Here's a link that may help you. I also heard that dark to black colored clots are not normal. I had several small ones that were black and the pain was unbearable without narcotic pain killers. http://www.netreach.net/~hysterectom...denomyosis.htm
Unread 05-16-2002, 01:47 PM
Blood Clot Question

Thank you ladies for your quick responses! The blood clot issue has always bothered me. I have moved, have a new dr, and I am being scheduled for a hyster (just waiting to hear from the hospital for a date). Most of my blood clots have been small enough that they just show up while wiping or on the pad, but there have been several that I have felt pass. My mom had a hyster when she was 43 due to fibroids, and the dr suspects I have endo (altho I had a lap 2 years ago, no signs of endo found, but scar tissue that he couldnt find a source for. He removed the scar tissue and I had a fair amount of relief for almost a year and a half). I am at a point where I am tired of pain, bleeding and lack of energy. As soon as my new dr told me hyster was an option I jumped at it. I am so looking forward to permanent relief. I have been here lurking on a daily basis reading all I can before the surgery and I must say I'm finding my anxiety level dropping. What a wonderful support group you ladies are! s to you all!

Jenn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register