"Castle Goodie" baskets - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

"Castle Goodie" baskets "Castle Goodie" baskets

Unread 05-17-2002, 09:00 PM
It was I who wore the giant smiley face sticker

Been there. Done that.

I went to the castle on Feb. 28, 2001. I had been preparing for 9 months prior. I was nervous wreck. After I arrived and changed my clothes, got a SHAVE and situated 0on my royal roll-a-bed, I pulled out a giant 3" yellow smiley face sticker and slapped it on my abdomen. I later found out that the or was in great spirits because of the joke I had pulled on them. I hoped it helped other guests that day since I went in at 7:00am. Anyhow, later that afternoon I found the sticker on my pillow. Dr commented on how funny it was to get me ready and much to their shock and surprise see the sticker. So.....I slept that night, get up during the night to go potty like a big girl and my nurse asks about the big smiley face sticker on my rump! Somehow it had gone from the pillow to my bottom! We both laughed. Joke was on me

I also made a basket of individual candies. Guests and staff helped themselves. I too left it when I went home, along with a hyster thank you card.

Make the most out of your visit to the castle. You can turn a scary situation into something almost fun and memerable. It helped me.

Be creative.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 12:54 AM
"Castle Goodie" baskets

Don't know yet whether it will be vaginal or not, but don't you all think that a hyster-sticker (I love that) at the bikini line would still work? This is definately something to ponder before surgery. Much more fun than running out to buy that travel sized toothpaste.
Unread 05-18-2002, 07:25 AM
"Castle Goodie" baskets

I had my surgery over 7 weeks ago and this is the first I’ve heard of a goodie basket for the hospital staff. I hope it isn’t expected because if it was, I’ve disappointed some people.

I felt that my care in the hospital was excellent. After I left the hospital I sent a ‘thank you’ gift to the staff in the unit I was in – a large box of Godiva chocolates. I assume they got it – I took care to address it directly to them.

In retrospect, I would have left the chocolates on my discharge so I could have made absolutely certain that they received it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 08:21 AM
"Castle Goodie" baskets

Hi, Karen -

Oh, no - a goodie basket is NOT expected, and what you did was absolutely lovely - I'm sure it got to them and that they appreciated it tremendously.

It's something that had been mentioned awhile back, as a thank you for the nurses. People are now referring to it also as a "suck-up" basket (personally, I prefer goodie basket :-)), because when the nurses are happy, you're happy. And sometimes, it entices more people to your room so they can get some candy. The joking theory being that they'll give you better care - or at least come check on you more frequently - if you have something there for them. Really, I think being nice and appreciative in words is going to get you happy, friendly nurses - the old "do unto others" (by which theory, bringing chocolate is good, cause I'd like the idea of someone bringing ME chocolate :-)).

I had read about it before my hyst and thought it was a great idea, so I did bring one, and offered it to everyone who came in. I brought them to both recent surgeries - nothing fancy, just some inexpensive bags of chocolate candies and hard candies (chocolate won!) and offered them to everyone who came in, handed them to the cleaning staff, told the nurses to tell all the OTHER nurses it was there. It kind of broke the ice, and offered me a chance when they thanked me for it to thank THEM - and just kept good feelings all around. And it gave them a little "junk food" break now and then.

But it is NOT expected, nor is it a necessity.

Cheers,
Unread 05-18-2002, 11:20 AM
"Castle Goodie" baskets

Reading this post makes me realize how women always think of everyone else. We
are such givers. don't forget that this is the time to have family and friends take care
of you! My boss gave me advise to let my husband do things for me. We are both
very independent women who usually do not ask for help. This is the time to let
people show how much they care and love you. My husband has been great and
has gotten a kick out of doing things like putting socks on my feet and coming home for lunch to feed me.

We are not calling ourselves Princesses for nothing.
Unread 06-01-2002, 02:14 AM
Cards

Ive found giving the ward staff, Doctors , aneathetist (dont know spelling) a thankyou card afterwards always gets a smile

Cheers

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register