Anterior repair - how painful?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anterior repair - how painful?? Anterior repair - how painful??

Unread 05-16-2002, 06:20 PM
Anterior repair - how painful??

I am into the castle next week for TVH and anterior repair for cystocele (possibly posterior repair too - won't know until actual surgery about this one). Big question - how much pain will I be in afterwards? I am seeing anaesthesiologist three days prior and hope he will agree to a spinal only (my gyn. thinks he will want to do a "light" general as well - I don't want ANY form of general A. due to past experiences!!!) I have heard repairs are like childbirth and episitomies but more painful - is this correct? I spoke to a nurse I know there and she said they give a Voltarin suppository during surgery and then only Paracetamol for the next few days - will this be sufficient pain relief? I find paracetamol does'nt even help with headaches, let alone major pain, so I'm freaking out at this thought!! What should I request from the A. man at my consult?? Please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 08:28 PM

Hi Aussie,

Let me send you a and hopefully some comforting words. I had a TAH/BSO with several repairs, among them a rectal repair. My surgeries lasted 5 hours.

The good news is that my rectal repair has not been the least bit uncomfortable. I had a great deal of difficulty with my abdominal incision and the supra pubic catheter (due to bladder repairs), which I had to keep for 12 days.

Honestly, my personal experience has been that I haven't even been able to tell. I have had a drastic improvement in my ability to have bowel movements. Before surgery my rectal prolapse was so bad that I had to manually help myself have a BM. Sometimes back pain was my only indication of the need to go.

I did not have a BM for several days after surgery. I was told to try either a gentle laxative or an enema. I chose the enema. It was not even uncomfortable to use it. Plus, I was started on stool softeners right after surgery. I have been fine ever since.

I know some people have had some discomfort. But, I hope my story helps.

s
Rayna
Unread 05-17-2002, 05:02 AM

Ok I do not want to scare you but I feel there are some things you really need to know. I buried my head in the sand and ignored the "possible [email protected]" repair. I educated myself on all parts of vaginal hyst issues but totally ignored the repair work. Big mistake! I knew going in I would be on a morphine pump for 24 hours and believe me I need that. In addition to the morphine they also added a wonder drug into my IV every 6 hours called Toradol. The repair work was the hardest part of recovery-- the vaginal hyst was no problem. I knew when I woke up that I was feeling like someone had parked a bus in there. The episotomy was not like with childbirth. It was much deeper and longer. As you heal the stitches pull and tug. Make sure they give you instructions for a sitz bath or one of those spray thingies for discomfort. I also came home with percocets and Toradol. I always say I may not like what I hear but if I KNOW what will happen I can deal with it-- and this is why I am telling you this. I had discomfort for about 10 days and each day got better. the first 24 hours is the hardest followed by the first week. Tell the anest. guy you need medication-- good meds during surgery. I also asked for ZOFRAN which is one of the newest and best anti-nausea meds out there to be run during my surgery. It was fanntastic. Zofran by the way is what they give cancer patients when they take chemo and they can eat and not get sick. You can also look up posts on a hostess named Dany. She had this repair work done also and helped me alot with my questions on it. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2002, 05:59 PM

Many thanks ladies for your replies. Much appreciate your honesty! Now I know what to expect I shall be in a much better position when I see the anaethetist next week. I really do hate surprises, especially painful ones!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register