Feeling sick- 10 week post hyster Not feeling good | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling sick- 10 week post hyster  Not feeling good Feeling sick- 10 week post hyster Not feeling good

Unread 05-16-2002, 09:51 PM
Feeling sick- 10 week post hyster Not feeling good

Hi Everyone,
I am 10 wk post. Almost everything I eat, makes me feel sick. I seem to be doing okay on the HRT. The food I eat seems to go right through me. I had endometriosis, I had extensive surgery. I won't go into much details, my insides had to be seperated from each other, and the uterus was twisted. I had TAH/BSO. I see the doctor Monday, May 20th. I feel better than I have in long time, its just the nauseated feeling all the time, and the food going through me, of what I can eat.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Is it because of the surgery? The HRT? Do I need to give myself more time? I am back to being as tender and numb as in the earlier stages of healing. This is depressing and getting me down.

I would appreciate any replies, thank you.

Angl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 10:12 PM

Hi Angl: I am so sorry that your tummy feels so lousy on top of trying to recover from a Hysterectomy Let me give you some :hug's.

I really don't know what to tell you because you didn't indicate how long you have been suffering with this tummy trouble. Please let me know, in case I can help.
I know that some women say that after their surgeries they experience problems with their bowels (IBS?) and for others they say that the surgery has cured them of their problems. I fall into the latter category. All of my IBS problems went away after my surgery.
In the meantime, you may want to try the BRAT diet (which is what my pediatrician suggests when I have problems with my little one). B-R-A-T- Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. It seems to soothe tender tummies. I hope that you are feeling better soon and please keep us posted on your recovery.

All the best,
Rita
Unread 05-16-2002, 10:37 PM

Angl I am six monthos out now I believe and let me tell you I had a real hard time of recovery. Let your doc know of your belly troubles but I too went through that. My tubes had to be seperated from my colon and at first I couldn't go at all then I couldn't stop. It was like water in texture. At about four months I got better thought and I am sure you will too. Give yourself time. It takes so long to fully recover from hysters. I am still not totally 100% but let me tell you in comparison to before surgery I feel 200% most of the time which is what gets me into trouble**** I wind up doing way too much. Good luck to you Sassy
s

Ignore my weird name at the bottom but I have been writing on this one thread since well so long I can't remember and we have given ourselves new names!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 11:45 PM
Rita and Sassy

Rita and Sassy,
Thanks for your replies.
The question you asked Rita, I have been dealing with the upset stomache for 2 weeks now. Sorry, no bananas, they will make me sick. I do like bananas, but I have had to be careful about eating them, since endo took over my life. Thanks any way. Rest of it, I will give a try and have no problems with them.
Sassy thanks for your reply. Seems you and I have been down the same road.

Thanks Ladies
You been a big help

:hug

Angl
Unread 05-17-2002, 12:05 AM

Angl, can I suggest ginger and peppermint? Ginger ale, ginger or peppermint tea, Junior Mints -- these are all things that can help settle my trick stomach. Sitting up straight, closing my eyes, and breathing deep and slow in my belly also helps.

I also personally find avoiding garlic & onion really keeps my stomach settled, but that may just be me. I do second the idea of the BRAT diet (without the B ), or just eating bland for a while if you have to. Small amounts more often can be easier on the tummy than big meals.

Good luck -- I've had tummy troubles all my life so my heart goes out to you!!

Melissa
Unread 05-17-2002, 05:11 AM

A question about bananas. I, too, used to love 'em, but now I can't eat them because of the instant reaction - I loose them fast. No doc I have ever asked can understand it. Does that happen to anyone else? How is endo related to bananas? Thanks for any info.

Kathleen
:confuse:
Unread 05-17-2002, 06:23 AM
I am where you are too

9 weeks and nausea and diarreah. They gave me phenergran and it helped a lot. I can not climb stairs (too tired). I also am short of breath. I am going to my doc again to find out why. I am so depressed and I cry all of the time. I will let you know what I find out. The doc took some blood the other day to check hormone levels have you had this done? Hopefully he will have the results today when I go in. Prayers for you and keep me posted on how you are doing.
Unread 05-17-2002, 07:10 AM

I'm sorry you're having this problem. I have had some light nausea (reminds me of when I was pregnant). It just sort of comes over me & then goes away for the most part. You might try eating smaller amounts more often. Keeping some crackers and ginger ale or diet coke available seems to help. I understand that ginger is a good remedy but I haven't tried it. I attribute mine to adjusting to the HRT? I actually adjusted my HRT and it seems better. Not taking as much estrogen - went from taking two (2) .625 Premarins in the evening to taking one (1) .625 Premarin in the morning and using 1/4 tsp natural progesterone cream at night. So far, this seems to be helping with a lot of things like nausea and sleep (thank goodness).
If you feel like it is more of an intestinal problem - you really probably should get your Dr. involved.
Good luck - hope you feel better.
Unread 05-17-2002, 10:09 AM

I had my TAH/BSO March 13, and I'm having more digestive problems than I care to. I do suffer from IBS but not sure exactly what is going on. I'm depressed, moody and I have intestinal cramps on and off along with gassiness. I also feel like a teenager again with the acne. I seen the doc this week and he will see me again in July, I guess then I will either have to get him to listen or look elsewhere. (However, I don't regret the surgery it relieved alot of the daily pain)
Unread 05-17-2002, 12:06 PM

Gracie, we are surgery sisters! And, sadly, IBS sisters too.

I'm finding that my digestive tract is taking a long time to restabilize, probably because it was weaker to begin with. I have a little trouble passing BMs, have to bear down hard sometimes, which, even at 9 weeks, is not good for a healing tummy.

There are some IBS boards out there you could look into, like http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi (if you don't already). I'm trying Heather Von Vorous's _Eating for IBS_ book.

Healing isn't done at 8 weeks; it's a long, gradual process. Here's hoping we all get back to 100% soon.

Melissa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register