Hysts/Aging? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-17-2002, 09:38 AM
Hysts/Aging?

I am LIW, 12 days from surgery
I am reading, reading, reading, everything I can get my hands on. Some info is so postive--other freaks me out. For instance, some women say their hair got thinner after having a hyst,
also rapidly graying hair? TSK!!! Does having our essential female organs removed make us age faster? I asked my doctor this question at our consult last week and he looked at me like I was nuts!

And what about the swelly belly? What have some of you princesses experienced with that and how long did/does it last? I am having LAVH. I enjoy being physically fit and fitting into my clothes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2002, 09:50 AM
getting older

Hi,
I just wnated to add my two cents here. My Mom had her surgery at 37. She is now 53. She is a vibrant, healthy woman who has finally decided to stop coloring her hair. The gray was coming in before the HRT. My hair began to turn white at age 19. I am now at least 1/2 white 1/2 brown. I am allergic to hair dye but I get compliments all the time about my hair. My Mom has very few tiny wrinkles. She thanks Mary Kay Cosmetics for that and takes excellent care of her skin. As far as hair falling out, hers did thin a bit but she had been on HRT long before that. DR"s attributed it to the lose of her Mom and grieving. My opinion, IF it were to age you a bit,,,who cares as long as you FEEL better? With HRT every woman is different. Good luck!
Unread 05-17-2002, 11:04 AM
Hi Shelley

I haven't noticed any changes in my skin or hair. My skin has always been oily and it still is. I think that is a plus as I just turned 51 and don't have any wrinkles. My hair has been gray for along time. I color it. Haven't seen any changes there either.

I had a bikini cut. It seems that the swelly belly got better after 8 weeks or so for me. We are all different. I don't know if it would be less of an issue with the LAVH. But it will go away in time.

I am using HRT successfully. So I am hoping that the aging process doesn't happen any faster and so far so good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2002, 11:31 AM
Hysts/Aging?

The only change I've noticed is my face used to break out every month, and I haven't had a pimple since surgery.

Swelly belly - some days it's worse than others. I need to get back to a fitness routine, something I've been putting off!

My hair has always been quite thick, and it still is. Your hair doesn't suddenly lose it's pigment. You don't wake up in the morning with a head of gray or white hair. As new hair follicles grow they could be gray, but that is a natural part of the aging process anyway.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register