Good news but befuddled | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Good news but befuddled Good news but befuddled

Unread 05-17-2002, 05:02 PM
Good news but befuddled

Now... after more than a week of mentally celebrating my good news (Endo, Gr 1 Stage 1a!!!) I've begun to wonder about a few things. I won't say I'm worrying, I'm still just plain pleased with the results. But....

This whole story started with two years of following up on a
calcification on one ovary and I can't help but wonder what that was all about. When he gave me the path results in the hospital, I asked him if they ever figured out what the thing on the ovary was. He responded "what thing? They just said there was endometriosis everywhere including the ovaries." <sigh>. I explained the calcification that had started this whole thing, he shrugged on his way out the door. I figured it was probably just a case of "when you're up to your butt in aligators it is hard to remember your main objective was to drain the swamp."

So, I asked again when I got the staples removed. He said he'd check the path report again and to stop by his office on the the way out. When I did, he shoved the path report at me and said, "see, no calcification!"

I couldn't read the fine print then and there, so I asked if I could have a copy to take with me. He obliged. When I got home I read the following:
"The right ovary measures...and has a cystic structure....The adjacent ovarian parenchyma has calcification."

DOH!

When I read further, there was no attempt to explain that feature, just a note that it had been "decalcified" by the path lab.

Now, I'm really happy that there was no cancer anywhere else, but geeeeez it surely doesn't create a sense of trust or inspire confidence when you know your doc isn't really reading the path reports even when asked to look for something specific. <sigh>

Hat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2002, 07:06 PM
Good news but befuddled

Hi there Hat , I understand completely about Drs .... sometimes it is so frustrating.:hair:

I would talk to your regular Dr about this .... I do that when I have a problem with my gyn/onc and she gives him a call ,finds out all the facts and then discusses it with me. That is the only way , I find , that works for me . I am one that needs to know everything

I hope you are this good news , how about some cake and x love always x x
Unread 05-18-2002, 06:38 AM
Oh, Hat, I Understand

I had something similar happen to me. I had asked the oncologist (with an excellent reputation as an oncologist I might add although noted as well for a very poor bedside manner which I learned firsthand later) in the hospital when I asked to meet him before I left and twice afterwards about spread and he told me NO, nothing on the liver, no lymph nodes. Met him again before treatment and asked again. After treatment one, I got my medical records, including pathology--and there where even I with no medical training and a poor science background were the notes about a lesion on the liver and four positive lymph nodes. I gave him a copy (and there was one in my oncology chart as well as surgical, etc.) and asked. "Oh, that doesn't matter. Won't change things." It DOES matter and changed my whole attitude for a long time--and yes, I changed doctors too! It shakes you. You wonder what else isn't right on. You don't trust. It's just plain WRONG!

Can you get a second opinion just to satisfy yourself that nothing else was overlooked, etc. Change doctors if you're really not sure?

I really know what this is like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 11:15 AM
thanks folks

Robyn, I'm not sure which other doc I could ask. The weird thing is that once I was passed on to the gyn/onc I've not heard nor seen my gyn. My primary care doc is a rheumatologist (I have lupus) and this kind of thing is far from his usual field of knowledge. I'm thinking I'll do the first two checks with this gyn/onc and once I'm well past the surgery part of things, find a new one closer to home. I only went to this guy because my gyn, who is over an hour away, passed me off to him. The distance gives me a good excuse to transfer my care and I work for a medical school so I have plenty of options very close to home.

Margaret..all I can say about your situation is eeeeeeeek! I at least know my doc doesn't know about the calcification. He just never read past the large print of "Final Diagnosis" and that part didn't include the info about the calcification. If anything was missed here, it was missed by the pathologist. It doesn't help any that I used the info on this web site to check the creditation of the hospital and the only thing they are being held up on is the pathology dept <gasp>. However, I'm pretty sure the stuff is probably remains of the endometriosis. My real concern is that my doc didn't bother to read even when asked specifically and that suggests he's a bit sloppy. I do wish I could find some info on ovarian calcification that didn't say that it was either a dermoid (this wasn't) or cancer.

Anyway, THANKS both of you for responding!
Unread 05-21-2002, 11:00 AM
Good news but befuddled

I am so glad to see that you are ok. I got on here today to post to you and se how you are feeling. I am glad that the surgery went well for you. Mine was a peice of cake lol.
Darlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register