Getting sick before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting sick before surgery Getting sick before surgery

Unread 05-18-2002, 04:31 AM
Getting sick before surgery

Yikes! Eleven days till surgery and I think I'm getting ill, throat and glands all swollen and terrrible headache. I'm not nervous about the surgery at all but having to postpone it will make me nuts. I've been waiting 2 months for this date to come and will explode if it doesnt' happen on time. If this turns into a bad cold do any of you girls know it they will go ahead with surgery if there is no fever involved? I'm praying its just bad allergies and if not I have 11 days to get rid of it. Surgery is on May 29th and I have to thank all of you who contribute to this web site; it has just helped me so much...from getting my legs waxed to info on bowel prep, its been just great. Oh, having TAH and ovaries going too, due to fibroids and huge tummy! Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 05:02 AM

Just to be safe check with your Doctor.
I know in my case I was feeling the same way and my Doctor said as long as there was no fever he would proceed.
Every Doctor is different ......
s and s
Janet
Unread 05-18-2002, 05:02 AM

I had an ear infection 2 weeks before my surgery.. when I first started feeling sick I RAN to my primary doctor who gave me antibotics. If you aren't feeling well have your primary doctor check you over. also when is your pre op physical?? they are usually scheduled very close to your surgery date to be sure that you are physically well.... thank goodness being emotionally well balanced wasn't a requirement, I'd have failed that exam.. I was so **** nervous...... anyway... you want to be in THE best physical health possible for this surgery so If you have to delay it is the best thing. Listen to your doctors and follow their advice.
Best wishes,
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 06:37 AM

Please, please, call your doctor and tell him your symptoms and concerns about the upcoming surgery. Communication is so important before you take anything for your symptoms.

Sara
Unread 05-18-2002, 08:16 AM

I woke up this morning with a bad cold (I know it's a cold because it's going around at work) and had the same concerns as you do.

Thanks for this thread - I get to benefit from the sisters' responses too. In a way I'm glad that I got it now, in time to get over it before surgery. My pre-op's on Tues. with my primary care physician, so I'll check it out then.

I'm thinking that 11 days is more than the average shelf life of the common cold. Sending wellness vibes to you, Deequin, and hoping it's a false alarm and it's allergies after all.

Cecee
Unread 05-18-2002, 08:48 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. I had a very bad cough and my throat her, glands were swollen. I do not want to cancel my surgery so on the 7th I finally went to the doctor. Turned out I had Broncidist (sorry not spelled right) and something to do with my glands. I had a breathing treatment, 2 shots and 2 percribitions. This week I was still feeling bad so I went back on last Tuesday. My broncidist is better but now my allergies are acting up. so I got 2 more medicine. Well I woke up Thursday and I was coughing up alittle yellow stuff so I called them and asked for a penacilin shot. They gave me one and today I'm still coughing but my head isn't so stopped up and my chest isn't so croupy. I'm sorry this is long but I wanted to let you know what can happen if you just let it go. I have been coughing since after my lap on the 24th of April. I'm just afraid that they will tell me my blood cells are off and it means I have an infection and they cancel surgery. I'm praying I'm completely better by the 21st when I go to pre-admit. So you really need to call your doctor as soon as possible and get started on some medicine. I sure hope you feel better really soon.
gina
Unread 05-18-2002, 04:44 PM

Yep, call your DR Monday. This close to surgery don't try to self medicate, up at the top of this board there is a list of herbal supplements to avoid before surgery, and some medications can also cause complications.

What you can do until Monday - lots of rest and lots of fluids.

Unread 05-18-2002, 08:49 PM
call the dr

I can tell you from experience, I was postponed with the cold virus going around. My primary care dr gave me antibiotics in case I had a secondary infection, but a lot of what is going around now is viral and antibiotics don't help. I also found out at the same time that my EKG in pre-op had an abnormality, so they would have postponed me anyway. Going through testing with the cardiologist these past few weeks has given me the time to get better though and I am feeling fine now. Many people told me I would not want to be congested and coughing after surgery... it would hurt too much. Also, my gyn told me he really isn't the one who decides if the surgery is postponed due to things like colds... it is the anesth. They are the ones who take the responsibility for your breathing, etc., when you go under. It is very important that they know if you are under the weather at all. It can effect you in surgery and as you wake up again. Call on Monday morning... I had to and even though it meant waiting an additional three weeks, I am glad I am at my physical best (as good as that gets now anyway ) for my surgery on Tuesday.
Unread 05-18-2002, 09:52 PM

I was sick 2 weeks straight before surgery. First i had the stomach flu and then the cold came. I thought for sure i would get over it before surgery. Well I went to the doc and he said it definately was a virus but 2 days before surgery he put me on antibiotics just as a precautionary because i wasnt getting any better. I was coughing up the same stuff and when i layed down it got worse. I informed the a man of this the day of my surgery so he would be aware of it. After i woke up ...they had me do some deep breathing exercises which made me cough up more stuff. I was completely over it 3 days after surgery. It didnt hinder my surgery .... although it did add a little pain to my stomach when i had to cough. You should definately communicate with your doctor and let him know. Sometimes I also think that the stress alone weakens our immune system and we get these nasty colds. Maybe take some vitamins too! Hope you feel better real soon,
LMichele

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register