Suggestions for keeping nerves away the morning of... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Suggestions for keeping nerves away the morning of... Suggestions for keeping nerves away the morning of...

Unread 05-18-2002, 09:39 AM
Suggestions for keeping nerves away the morning of...

I will be going into the castle at 5:30 Monday morning. I will have to leave home at 4:45. I have decided to drive myself to the castle, and my mother will stay behind and take care of the dogs. Then my sister will pick her up and get to the castle about when my surgery is scheduled to start.

I know that I was a wreck when I went in for my pre-op at the hosptial. My hands were shaking and I was just there for insurance stuff and blood work (nope not scared of needles). So I figure I will be a basket case when I get there Monday. Any suggestions to relax and not be such a baby that morning?

I know I am really preoccupied. I am getting SOOO forgetfull!!!!!

Thanks,

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 09:55 AM

I am a big baby. I was not as bad the day of the surgery as I thought I would be. Somehow, I think your body takes care of you. My "A" man said I was high strung and suggested 2 benadryl the night before to ensure some sleep. I did that. I did not have to leave my home til 9:30am so I was preoccupied with everything, trembling. When I got there, my hands and toes were blue from nerves. The hospital staff has a way of making you feel comfortable and they did just that. You will do well. Keep up your positive attitude and Best wishes.
Susan
5/13 TAH/BSO
Unread 05-18-2002, 10:39 AM
Focus on the good things

Try to focus on the good things in your life and try to think of happy memories that you have had. I am about to undergo my 4th ab. surgery, this time for a hyst. I find that thinking positive always keeps me focused.

The memory that I always concentrate on is the day that I got married.

This is what I think of just before they give me general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 10:41 AM

Hi, Caren! Well, I think it would be a rare patient who isn't feeling nervous and shaky right before surgery! I thought I was pretty calm, but my BP was a little high, so I couldn't fool anyone! Probably taking slow deep breaths and focusing on positive thoughts (that everyone was trying to help me have as good experience as possible and would be taking care of me--and that I would be so much healthier when it was over) were what calmed me down.

I think I would reconsider about having someone go with you first thing in the morning, though. It really helped to have my dh with me and to have someone to talk to. If you are feeling shaky, it might not be a good idea to be driving. High adrenaline levels can make you have brain fog Could your sister or mom or a friend drive you to the hospital?

Then once you are there, you could ask your dr or anesthesiologist for something to relax you, so you aren't too antsy waiting for surgery time. My surgery was delayed for an hour, and I was glad my dh got to stay with me all that time. It sort of keeps your mind off the surgery if there's someone to talk to. Hope the time goes quickly for you until castle time. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 05-18-2002, 10:47 AM

Take some deep breathes driving to hosp. Then when you get there the A man or woman will make you happy!!!! You'll be in la la land before you know it.
Unread 05-18-2002, 12:01 PM

Can you have a friend drive you? Or take a cab (or limo!)? If you're *that* nervous you might be better off not driving yourself - even a little fender bender would really wreck your day.
Unread 05-18-2002, 01:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your notes. Certainly if I am feeling too shakey to drive, either my mother or my niece can drive me in. I was just trying to get my dogs fed and out to keep the puppy from making a mess during the day. Mom can stay home and get them settled and then come up to the hospital. Then she can take the car home to let them out later.

I am sure I will be able to drive, but I hate to go into the hosptial and have my BP up and trembling hands. But I have heard a lot of LIW say they had a strange calmness come over them the morning of. I am hoping for that. Too bad I have never taken up meditation!!!

Thanks again,

Caren
Unread 05-18-2002, 02:44 PM
hugs

Hi, Caren,
I don't have any experienced suggestions for Monday morning because I haven't faced mine yet either. I am going to try and have faith that I will be watched over and protected.
We ladies are strong creatures! You can do this!

Comforting thoughts flying south to you, :fly:

Lynn
Unread 05-18-2002, 03:04 PM

How about packing yourself a goodie bag? You might have to wait once you get to the hospital. Some ideas are: Favorite magazines or a good book you've been meaning to read when you get some time. A crossword puzzle, a comic book (seriously), a joke book, a craft such as knitting. A journal. I suggest you DON'T read the newspaper that morning. I'ts not too uplifting. A headset with music would be nice, something soothing. I'm sure your sis would be happy to take it to her car when they wheel you in. Wear something comfortable.

Waiting really is the hardest part and the few hours up until your crowning is no exception. Take a deep breath.

Do you have your hyster book yet that Kathy wrote? It's a good one.

Take care and God bless.

Unread 05-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Hi Caren,

When I had to have a chemical stress test last month in the hospital, I was placed in an imaging machine that looked like an MRI or CAT scan machine. I had to lie with one arm over my head for about twenty minutes while the images were taken. It was intensely uncomfortable. The only way I got through that test was to think about the time I was in Cades Cove, Tennessee, sitting on a rock in the middle of a mountain stream and watching two deer come out of the woods to drink from the stream. Remembering that day and how peaceful I felt helped me through the rest of the test. (Except for the part where they actually injected the chemicals, I felt like I was dying for about three minutes and was panicking horribly!)

Try focusing your thoughts on your favorite place or your favorite person. And don't forget to breathe!

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

s,

Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register