Side effects, any suggestions... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Side effects, any suggestions... Side effects, any suggestions...

Unread 05-18-2002, 07:14 PM
Side effects, any suggestions...

Howdy Sister
I've finished up the first week of my four week cycle of Chemo and radiation! YAY!! With that comes the realization that I'm completely finished with 2 of the drugs!! Now I'm down to the vincristine once a week, and an injection of asparaginase for 5 more shots, and the radiation for 15 more days! Unfortunately the asparaginase is the one giving me the most trouble right now, but I'll make it!

My question is... has anyone had any problems with blisters in your mouth from Chemo? I think it's called stomatitis. I've started with these things today. I haven't talked to the dr. yet. Put in a call today but it's Sat. and he's probably on the golf course. I've been swishing with some chloraseptic, boy that burns and doesnt' seem to help much after the numbness wears off. It seems to get worse after an episode of throwing up, so we're working on stopping that. Anyway, any suggestions?? Any body have any experience with this? I'm open to trying anything at this point.

Thanks for all of your help ladies. Three more weeks and then we do a Bone Marrow Biopsy! I'm still believeing God for good news !

Love and hugs to you all,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2002, 08:21 PM

(((Susan))))
I am so sorry you are suffering these side effects. I didn't have blisters but I did have an episode of thrush when I was admitted to the hospital after one round for severe vomiting, and like you it seems the vomiting made it worse.

I just did a google search using keywords, "mouth blisters and chemotherapy", and there are alot of sites which talk about this, and just from reading through a couple it seems that an antibiotic is what seems to work best, so I hope your doctor will call you back. If not Susan, you should drop into emergency tomorrow perhaps. You shouldn't have to suffer like that. And I know from going to emergency a couple times after treatments myself, they usually look after chemo patients as quickly as possible not making you wait too long.

I hope this clears up for you quickly, and you don't have to endure this through the rest of the treatments. You are dealing with more than enough without this added discomfort.
Please keep us posted on whether the doctor got back to you and how you are doing tomorrow if you feel up to posting.
Sending healing hugs to you!!
M. xoxo
Unread 05-18-2002, 08:38 PM

{{Susan}}

I'm so glad you've finished the first round but I'm so sorry you're having these side effects.

I didn't experience anything like this either during treatment. I found some info on WebMD that you might find helpful, it mentions that you should drink lots of water and not let your mouth dry out. It also mentioned to avoid hot foods as that will irritate it even more.

Here's the link to the sites I found:

http://my.webmd.com/search_results

I hope you soon get some relief from this and it will be something that goes away quickly.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2002, 02:44 AM
Mouth Sores/Stomatitis

If you haven't gotten the doctor yet, I also recommend the ER. There is something I know that others have found useful, but since I never had that problem with what I took, sad to say I ignored it. I think there's either a prescription mouthwash or something similar (maybe non prescription) that's recommended.
I checked in a cancer society "Chemotherapy and You" booklet just now but didn't find a name or anything more specific than avoiding hot foods (cool to room temp) and avoiding spicy/acidic foods.
Unread 05-19-2002, 06:29 AM

s Susan

I sure hope that doc gets back to you. There are definitely prescription meds that can help with this. I don't know that a trip to the ER is necessary, (too nerve wracking and you probably don't feel up to it) but I would have the answering service track him down. PRONTO.
What meds are you on for the nausea and vomiting? Have you tried Zofran?
Are you able to eat? Wish I was there to help out!
Keep your chin up. Let us know how you make out.

s karenann
Unread 05-19-2002, 08:16 AM
Ask your MD about this mouthwash!!!

Susan, my friend--

This is really coincidental -- I have the same thing (sore mouth - stomatitis) from the Doxil! I was in pain last week. I called my oncologist and they prescribed a mouthwash for me that really, really helps -- I think they call it "magic mouthwash" - it says on the bottle "mag & al/diphen/lidocaine suspension" -- the pharmacist says it contains Maalox, diphenhydramine, and lidocaine -- the lidocaine numbs your mouth and really helps. It is a solution that was mixed up by the oncology pharmacist at my hospital. Ask your MD if you could get some of this -- I highly recommend it.

I am thinking about you and praying often for you, Susan -- you have been such a wonderful help for so many ladies here on Hystersisters.

Love,

Cyndy
Unread 05-19-2002, 08:39 AM
from Amy

Unfortunately, I don't have any useful information. I, too just finished my chemo/radiation treatments, but I never got the mouth sores although the doctors told me that I would. I wanted you to know that I will say a prayer every day for an end to your discomfort and a negative result on your bone marrow biopsy. Best of luck to you.

Amy
Unread 05-19-2002, 10:10 AM

As always you ladies have the best advice! I've checked out the links, thanks Vicki, and Maria, thanks for the search. I did finally hear from the Dr. met him at the ER and he gave me some antibiotic stuff to swish and swallow...nystatin...said I had a little thrush starting in there and I also asked him about the "magic mouthwash" !! Cyndy, thank you so much for telling me about it. He looked a little puzzeled at first and then he said,"Oh, yeah, lets get you some of that right now!" Sometimes I wonder where his head is but he is really good. LOL...And ladies it does work! Thank the Lord !!

Karenann, I'm taking zofran and they gave me compazine on Friday, we've tried the kytril and it didn't help me much. I'm hoping that the worst part is over now, with only the 2 drugs and the radi. left to complete. We're gettin there ladies. Lets hang on and show this cancer that it's messin with the wrong crowd!!!

AMY!!! It' so good to hear from you! I'm so glad you're finished with your chem/rad.!! Thank you soo much for praying for me, I'm praying for you too sis!!

To all of you, my special friends, Cyndy, Amy, Maria, Vicki, Kareann, and Margaret, and ROBYN!!I just want you to know that You are the BEST!!

I'm just waiting for the day we all say the magic word, REMISSION!! CANCER FREE!! WE WILL GET THERE!
So, you think this site could stand the party we are gonna have??

Sending much love and many prayers,
Unread 05-19-2002, 10:57 AM

(((Susan)))
So glad you got some relief!! Hopefully you won't have any more problems with this!!! I hope the vomiting has lessened as well. I was on double doses of Zofran and for some reason it was not very effective for me.

You have such a wonderful attitude and you are a very strong woman!! You go girl!!!! I was so angry and crabby when going through my treatments. I could take a lesson from you for sure!

Attitude is so important, and yours is the best!!!!!!!
As for whether the site could handle the party....absolutely!!!! And it will!!! In fact I am buying my new party dress this week.
All the best with week 2 Susan!!
You're gonna do this!!
Hugs,
M. xoxoxo
Unread 05-19-2002, 10:04 PM

Great to hear that you are now finding some relief Susan. Hang in there and keep doing what you are doing. Anytime you need us , we are here for ya xxx love ya lots x

Party ? Did some one mention a party . I am a party animal , specially where brownies are involved :snort:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register