Surgery consent forms | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery consent forms Surgery consent forms

Unread 05-18-2002, 10:42 PM
Surgery consent forms

Dear Hyster Sisters,

I just had my final apt. with DR before my TAH on June 13th. While I was in the office, the nurse had me sign all the consent forms. Usually I just give these a quick look over but this time, I decided to actually read them. There were three. One for the hysterectomy, one for the possible removal of ovaries and one for the bladder tack. They were not all the same. The one for the hyst. was the longest and I was shocked to find some of the "consents" they were asking for. One of the consents was for permission to videotape and or photograph the surgery. I told the nurse I didn't feel comfortable with that and she told me to cross it out and initial it, so I did. The other was seeking permission for a "sales represenative" of equipment that might be used to be present in the OR. I crossed that one out too. Can you imagine? Who wants a salesman in the OR with you!

Anyway, just thought you'd like to know what I found. Read those hospital consent forms before signing!

Thanks...Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2002, 05:15 AM
The nerve!

Thanks for the heads up on this one! I didn't have anything like that on mine! Take care and good luck on your surgery!
Unread 05-19-2002, 06:08 AM
Wow

I did not know that. Thanks for reading it thoroughly and for sharing. I didn't sign anything yet but I'll be sure to read it.

Good luck with your surgery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2002, 06:40 AM
Surgery consent forms

Yep, I had that too! What really threw me for a loop was when the anesthesiologist asked me if I minded having a local paramedic put my breathing tube down my throat as part of his training! Yikes! I guess they have to practice somewhere but hello, I wanted everyone in there to KNOW what they were doing before they touched me. Karlene
Unread 05-19-2002, 07:49 AM
Surgery consent forms

I believe this. When I had a lap 11 years ago the anesthesiologist and nurses were suprised that I made the request of "NO paramedic students in the room to watch". I did a clinical myself and knew from my experience that even though the paramedic student wasn't the one doing the actual intubation we were allowed to stay and watch. When I was doing my clinical the minute they undraped the lady the guy student next to me actually stepped back. Guess he wasn't used to seeing totally nude women. There was no way I wanted someone that may have known me from the streets or in my training to see my private parts. I know the jokes they make with co-workers or talk about "hey I saw so and so in surgery". My hubby did a clinical in that O.R. I was in so I knew in advance to make a request. I hope they followed through. I didn't like that hospital and even though I went to a better one this time, I was glad to be awake for my vaginal hysterectomy. I knew who was in the room and I felt like I had some control. Please read those papers before signing.
Unread 05-19-2002, 04:36 PM
Surgery consent forms

Yikes, Lolly!

Good for you. I now plan to read really carefully next week when I have my pre-op.

Don't know that I'll be as brave as you were though- I want this surgery so badly that I might be willing to be videotaped if it means the difference between surgery going ahead or not.

These posts sure make me see how vulnerable I am in this whole process.

But, information is power. Thank you.

Cecee
Unread 05-19-2002, 05:06 PM
Surgery consent forms

I will read my consent forms throughly to see what is asked. I was glad to have read your post, this has enlightened me on how people who do not read them may subject their selves to unwanted things.
Unread 05-19-2002, 05:16 PM
Surgery consent forms

When I had a surgery prior to my hyst I had photographs taken, and a manufacturer's rep present. Donna somebody, from Gynecare - the people who make thermal balloon ablation equipment - was there in case the Doc needed help with the machine, and I was glad she was there. I'm sure she knew the contraption inside and out, and I'd rather have her there to advise my Doc than have him guessing at the right settings, or how to reset the thing. My Doc always requests a rep if he can get one. I was supposed to have an ablation - but that didn't work out 'cause they found fibroids instead. So we didn't need Donna after all. But the photos came in handy in explaining why the pre-approved procedure wasn't done, and why I really needed a hyst just 6 weeks later. I have copies of the photos. If anyone ever dares tell me I was imagining my problems I can just show 'em those.

I understand the caution about not wanting pictures taken, and not wanting extra people around, but don't automatically strike those things out of your agreements - they could work in your favor.
Unread 05-19-2002, 05:54 PM
Surgery consent forms

Lauren, That was very smart of you to read the consent and question it. Are you having surgery at a "teaching" hospital? Well the hospital I had my surgery in was a teaching hospital.They had residents. I am a nurse so i understand the importance of people /students observing and learning. I also understand if people don't want and audience during there operation. During my TAH I allowed the resident to be present and other students. I trusted my Dr. and new nothing would go wrong. The residents were wonderful. My husband even liked them.Between them and my Dr. I was really treated like a real QUEEN!!!!Well Good luck and remember you do what is best for you!!!!!Angela
Unread 05-19-2002, 06:55 PM
Surgery consent forms

Dear Cat From NJ,

No, I don't believe the hospital I'm going to is a teaching hospital. I did leave the consent in for the residents/students to be in the room. Normally, I probably would have left in the consent for videotape and or photographs but for some reason, at that moment, just didn't want my "claim to fame" to be surgical photographs in some medical journal.

At the time, I was really stressed about my insurance covering the surgery but when I got down to the consent for a, and I quote, "salesman" to be present in the OR, all I could picture in my mind was some old, hunched over gentleman in an outdated, plaid, leisure suit, smoking a cigar, in the corner of the room while they were wheeling me in!:smokin: My Hyster Sister Buddy and I had some good giggles over this! We pictured the "salesman" asking if I would be interested in a good set of encyclopedias when I was feeling better!

I can't honestly say that if I was given the same paperwork, on a better day, that I wouldn't have just happily signed at the bottom, assuming my DR would never ask me to do anything out of the ordinary. Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety but thought it important enough to point out that we need to read these things and make the best decisions for ourselves.

June Bloom Lauren

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register