My story. I'm home and doing well (long) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My story. I'm home and doing well (long) My story. I'm home and doing well (long)

Unread 05-19-2002, 12:09 AM
My story. I'm home and doing well (long)

I had a total laprascopic hysterectomy with BSO on Wed 5/15. I live 3 hours away from the hospital, but was so nervous about the surgery and wanted to be at home, that dh and I decided to wake up early and drive the morning of surgery. So the day before I did my bowel prep (I took the citrate of magnesium at 3 p.m., and it didn't start to work until midnight! I was up all night pooping -- ugh!) and had the day off to drink lots of water, pack and generally get really nervous.

We left the house at 2:30 a.m. and made it to the hospital ontime at 5:30 a.m. to check in. Everyone was very nice. I got my cute anti-blood clot stockings on, and talked to the "A" guy, who was also very nice. I was given a general, and medicine to keep me from being too queasy when I woke up.

Surgery lasted 3-1/2 hours and the worst part was waking up. My pain was very bad and I was fighting the catheter. I felt like it was burning every time I was voiding but the nurse kept telling me it was fine. I kept insisting something was "broken" or that it was infected. It wasn't. I was just not used to having the catheter and I was trying to control when I voided urine. Once I relaxed, I didn't even notice having the catheter and it no longer hurt. Also, once they got my pain under control in the recovery room, it was never out of control again.

I was in recovery for a few hours. The first bed they found for me was in the mother /baby ward. My dear husband refused to let me stay in that room, explaining to the nurses that we had wanted to have more children and that the hysterectomy was a difficult painful decision for us, and that I wouldn't be comfortable hearing babies crying while recovering. I was so grateful for him! The second room they found for me was in the orthopedic wing of the hospital. The nurses were very kind. I had a room to myself, and a mixture of toradol in my IV and demeral in my backside. I asked for an icepack, and that helped the pain as well. I slept on my back because I had these pneumatic pants on -- they strap onto your legs and inflate with air every minute or so to help massage your legs and prevent blood clots. They made my legs feel very heavy and so I couldn't move really. The bed was an air mattress to prevent bed sores so it was pretty comfortable. That night went pretty well. Dh left to stay at his sister's house and came back the next morning around 9 a.m.
The worst part of Wednesday night was I was so thirsty and could only have Ice chips. My mouth felt so dry, I couldn't talk. Nurses were wonderful. Gave me ice chips and kept the pain meds coming. I didn't have a pump, had pain meds "on demand" but the nurse would ask if I was in pain, and when I said yes she said that she would just bring me the shot when it was time. So the pain never was out of control.

Thursday the catheter came out around 7 a.m. and they got me to sit up and stand up around 8 a.m. I walked, very unsteadily, with alot of help around my room twice and tried to go to the bathroom. I couldn't, so was given water and juice to drink (finally something more then ice chips) and at just before 9 a.m. was able to walk around the room again, and went to the bathroom and was able to void urine. (I was so scared that I wouldn't be able to pee, was so grateful that I could!). I was so drugged up that I kinda fell asleep on the toilet and got very queesy and faint. I pulled the cord to call a nurse and got helped back into bed. Enough exercise for the morning.

Got more juice, some lemon ice and more water around 9:30 a.m. and spent the rest of the morning napping. Everytime I had to go to the bathroom was an event -- the fancy leggings had to come off, the iv had to be unplugged and taken with me to the bathroom, and I needed someone to hold onto to get to the bathroom. The nice part was I was able to go to the bathroom without any pain, and I was hardly bleeding at all.

My doctor came to see me around 10 a.m. and said that if I wanted to stay an extra day I could, but that if I wanted to go home that afternoon I could. I was doing very well. I was eating (well, drinking) on my own, was voiding on my own and was walking with assistance.

In the early afternoon my husband and I took a walk down the hallway. I felt weak, but the walk felt good. They stopped the toradol and put me on oral pain meds (oxycotin which I'm taking every 12 hours) and said that if the pain got bad I could still have my demeral shot every three hours. The pain was under control and so my husband and I decided to go home.

At 4:30 p.m. we were discharged. I got my final demeral shot and with two pillows, two ice packs and a blanket, we packed up in the car and drove home. We made one bathroom stop and my husband helped me to the bathroom and waited outside for me. We made it home by 8 p.m.

My dh put me to bed and went to fill my rx's. I have one for an antibiotic (cipro), one for estrogen (estrace 1 mg) and one for oxycontin (I take two every twelve hours). I had some chicken noodle soup for dinner and slept pretty well with a pillow and ice packs on my tummy, and another pillow under my legs.

Friday my husband had to work. A family friend came to "babysit" me. I was able to walk around by myself and get from bed to bathroom to couch by myself. I drank a lot of water, had soup and jello and juice and more water. Did my breathing exercises on my machine and took more naps.

Friday night my son came home, he is three and had stayed with my mom-in-law since Tuesday night. He came in to "tuck" me in and say good night.
Today was a quiet day. I am able to sit for longer periods of time, have taken my pain meds and took off my white anti-clotting stockings. I have now slept on my side with a pillow behind my back, one between my knees and one in front on my tummy.
All in all, I'm feeling better than I thought I would. I'm having a little bit of diareah, but other than that I think I'll be ready for some solid food tomorrow.

Thanks to all for your support while I was a LIW. I felt very prepared and felt like I had a wonderful family of support online. It is good to be home. And now it's time for me to take my pain meds and go back to bed.
I hope all my 5/15 "sisters" are doing well.
Kathryn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2002, 01:55 AM
Kathryn

WELCOME HOME and to the other side. I am so glad to hear that all went well and it sounds as if you have a really great hubby, tell him to keep up the good work.
Now make sure you keep resting and being pamperd. NO overdoing and update us later and let us know how it is going. Hugs Vicki
Unread 05-19-2002, 06:26 AM
Kathryn

Thank you soooo much for your detailed message about your experience at the castle. The more I read, the more prepared I am for almost anything.

I am glad you are feeling better. It sounds like you have great support with your DH and little son.

Take care and rest alot.

Best Wishes and a big
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2002, 09:48 AM
My story. I'm home and doing well

Dear Kathryn,

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. This kind of information is invaluable for those of us still waiting!

Be sure to get plenty of and don't forget to tell your DH how wonderful he was!

Thanks...June Bloom Lauren
Unread 05-19-2002, 10:26 AM

Thank you so much for telling us how your hyst went. I'm reading all I can so I can no kinda how I will be Wed. Sounds like you are doing very good. Just rest and enjoy being pampered.
Gina
Unread 05-19-2002, 11:29 AM

Welcome home Kathryn. Sounds like you are on your way to a good recovery. Two questions: what is lemon ice and was the reason for such a long surgery due to the laprascopic procedure?
What was the reason for your surgery? I guess that is 3 questions. Will wait to hear from you when you are stronger. I'm so happy that it is over for you

Maralyn
ps it is going to be hard not to lift the little one for all those hugs and kisses...careful
Unread 05-19-2002, 03:35 PM

Hi, thanks for letting us know how your hyst went. The more I read the less scared I am.
Unread 05-19-2002, 10:01 PM

<<Two questions: what is lemon ice and was the reason for such a long surgery due to the laprascopic procedure?
What was the reason for your surgery?>>

My surgery lasted 3-1/2 hours because it was laprascopic and because of what the doctor found: a lot of adhesions and scar tissue that had enveloped all of the organs being removed and they extended into the upper abdominal cavity, up above my diaphram. He took all of that out. I have a long history and five previous surgeries for endometriosis (in fact my last surgery for endo was in 1997, the same surgeon did it and found major endo everywhere), but he didn't find any this time. Just the scar tissue and the adhesions.

The lemon ice came on my breakfast tray with my clear liquid diet. I had chicken broth, cranberry juice, lemon ice (kinda like italian ice, in a small cup) and tea. My mouth was so dry that the lemon ice tasted and felt really good. The medicine I was on was causing me to have a terrible case of cotton mouth. I could barely speak. Anything wet tasted good!

Today was a good day, and I ate really solid food for the first time since my surgery. My mom-in-law made us a meatloaf and twice baked potatoes. They were so good -- especially after a "soft" diet for a couple of days. I was hungry!
-- Kathryn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register