Smokers/surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Smokers/surgery Smokers/surgery

Unread 05-19-2002, 06:21 PM
Smokers/surgery

I am 10 days away from my surgery (first ever in my life at the age of 49). I am a "light" smoker---smoke about 1/2 pack a day. I've been trying to cut down and "quit"--but I'm so stressed out these days it's hard to do. Any of you smokers here? How are you dealing with it---are you trying to quit?

Also, my dh and I LOVE wine. We are gourmet cooks, and the highlight of our day is "happy hour" where we have a few glasses of wine and make a scrumptious dinner. Should I stop drinking wine these 10 days before my surgery? I have no idea if it matters or not presurgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2002, 06:59 PM
Smokers/surgery

I smoke about a pack a day. I tried to cut back before my surgery, but as you said with my nerves it just didn't work. I didn't have any problems with my surgery.
Good Luck with your surgery and recovery.
Unread 05-19-2002, 07:00 PM
Smokers/surgery

Hey, Shelley2!

There was a really informative thread in the pre-op forum awhile back about smoking - not certain of the thread name, but I think it was LIW Smoker. Lots of info re: patch vs. gum vs. nothing. I smoke moderately, but can't even imagine trying to quit pre-op - way too much else going on emotionally to add that change to the mix.

Don't know about the wine thing, though. I, too, enjoy a glass of a good grape or a REALLY cold beer on a hot day. I could quite easily nix that if it's important. Hadn't thought of it but, I now plan to ask about that at my pre-op appointment.

I bet we get some good answers here as a result of your question. Thanks for asking it.

I envy you having a twin gourmet for a DH! Unlike many of the sisters, you won't be communing with Mr. Kraft or Chef Boyardee during recovery!

Ten days!

Be well,

Cecee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2002, 07:27 PM
Smokers/surgery

hi---- i am not braging but i was hyptnotized april 28th to stop smoking--- i have been smoke free since-- please pray and wish me well that i am able to continue--- i smoked for 34 yrs!!!!!-- a pack a day to a carton a week. i stoped smoking because of my up and coming surgery. i could not stop on my own. but this worked. i think i got lucky. janice72
Unread 05-20-2002, 02:50 AM
Smokers/surgery

Dear Shelley2,

I also smoke :smokin: about the same as you. My DH does not so I'm the only one in house who smokes. The other day I waited patiently to give him a kiss hello when he returned from work. We kissed and he flinched back. I said, what's wrong and he hesitantly said, "hun, your breath smells like stale smoke, your hair and clothes smell like smoke too!" I was crushed! I've been smoking for 25 years. This is the first time anybody ever said I smelled!

I'm quiting! Or gonna really try to! When your own DH tells you, you stink, it's time to quit! My surgery is June 13th. I'm hoping I can quit by then. It would help out so much. I'm calling my general DR today and asking what he thinks is best way to quit.

Let me know what you decide to do and Good Luck.

June Bloom Lauren
Unread 05-20-2002, 04:16 AM
Smokers/surgery

Hi,

I would suggest that you call your doctor to ask about these questions. I used to smoke, years ago and I don't drink so I cannot tell you from my experience. I did stop using all the medicines that I was told to at 7 days prior. Please call your doctor to ask. Let us know what he/she says!

Sara
Unread 05-20-2002, 04:20 AM
Smokers/surgery

Hi,

I'm a smoker too. Wasn't really a problem. Doc was cool. He said that is probably what made my hospital stay shorter than his other patients. Instead of walking the halls I walked outside the hospital to smoke. DH right there with wheelchair in case I got too tired. Down the hall to the elevator, down 3 flights, through the lobby(real cute in hospial gown and house robe), out the door, half a block to smoking area. He said all the walking was good for me as long as I was resting plenty in my room and at chairs outside.

Anyway I took patches with me in case I couldn't leave, they work for about a day with me. Glad I didn't need them LOL.

Good luck it is best if you can quit, but if not don't let it stress ya. I was fine until they took off demerol pump.

Tracy
Unread 05-20-2002, 05:21 AM
Smokers/surgery

I'm not a smoker:smokin: , but do enjoy a couple of units of drink (including wine) a week -- my doc said I could have wine up to 24 hours pre-op both times -- but you gotta ask yours, this is all individual
Unread 05-20-2002, 06:52 AM
Alike

We are a lot alike in that I smoke, only I smoke moderately. :smokin: I too like to have a couple of drinks after work before dinner to unwind from a frantic day at work. It relaxes me.

Anyway, I went to the store yesterday, (my surgery is the day before yours) and I purchased nicotine patches in the 14 mg. dose. They have 21 mg., but I figured they might be too strong. They also have the 7 mg. which might be good for you. I figured they might be not strong enough for me. I may not even feel like smoking in which case I won't use any patches. I spoke to my doctor about it and he doesn't prescribe them. I asked if I could bring my own and he said yes.

As for drinking, a nurse where I work said it would be ok to drink up to 2 days before surgery. Not after that. Which means no drinks for you or I on Memorial Day, ugh!

Anyway that's my story. I hope it works out for you. After your surgery and you are feeling up to it, let me know how it's going for you. We will be recuperating together.

Best of luck to you!

Unread 05-20-2002, 07:04 AM
Smokers/surgery

Thank you all for your replies. I go for my pre-op this Wed, the 22nd---will let you know my docs input on this subject.

9 days and counting.......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register