Off Work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-19-2002, 06:28 PM
Off Work?

Hi all!

I'm seeing my Dr. on Tuesday to ask ten million questions before I schedule this last and to me, drastic, surgery. I would like to know from all of you how long you were out of work? I know that most people are out of work for 6-8 weeks, but I need to know what COULD happen so I can save for it as well. I'm the breadwinner in my family. Thank you so much for your time and the great information I've seen here!

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2002, 07:33 PM
Hi Jennifer

I really can't answer your question yet, since I haven't had surgery yet (Thursday). But I know that six to eight weeks seems to be the standard length of time.

I too am my soul support, so I'm counting on no longer than six weeks. I have four weeks worth of sick leave and vacation days and my employer is letting me work at home for the last two weeks, so I should be okay.

I know some ladies have gone back ealier, depending on the type of surgery they have had, but I've also read a lot of posts where they regretted it.

Hopefully, someone should be along soon to answer your question.

Best wishes and s to you,

Lisa
Unread 05-19-2002, 08:02 PM
Off Work?

I had a TAH and was out of work for 6 weeks; my doctor said she would put me out for 8 weeks if I wanted it, but I was ready to go back.

Good luck to you!

Lynda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2002, 08:11 PM
Off Work?

I had a TAH with some extra work to remove some adhesions, etc. I was out of work for six weeks. The last week home I was itching to get back but when I did I was glad I had taken all six weeks. Depending on your job (are you on your feet all day, moving or lifting heavy objects, or are you in an environment where you can sit down, etc.) you can probably go back at 6-8 weeks as is most common, just be prepared to be tired by the end of the day. It's be a good idea to have some easy dinners to prepare the first few weeks you are back. Good luck!

Julie
Unread 05-19-2002, 10:28 PM
Off Work?

How long you're out and home recovering depends upon the type of surgery you have.
I just had a Laprascopic hysterectomy and my doctor said that I could return to work after 2 weeks (3 if I felt I need it).

My surgery was on 5/15 and I came home the next day. I'm resting and feeling pretty good, but still pretty weak.

For an abdominal surgery with a large incision, I've read and heard that 6-8 weeks is the norm for healing time at home.

Talk to your doctor, maybe there are other options for the type of surgery you need to have. I have a history of endo and adhesions. The laprascopic procedure went very smoothly.

Good luck!
Kathryn
Unread 05-19-2002, 11:07 PM
Unexpected complications

Hi,

Not to scare ya or anything but I have a seroma. Where the incision opens up to release fluid build up. It has been open since surgery. No sign that it is healing up anytime soon. Doc says maybe 3 months. Of course I feel great but my job prohibits me going back until it is closed. Very physical kinda job. I suppose it really depends on the type of job you do. If I had a desk job I feel I could go back today. Actually I feel good enough to do my regular job (truck assembly), but plant doc says NO

Most women do go back in 6 to 8 weeks there are a few exceptions to that rule but don't let it scare you. As long as you rest and take it easy after surgery you would most likely fall in that catagory.

Tracy
Unread 05-20-2002, 07:03 AM
Out of Work?

Thanks for the info, all of you! I really do like to know what *could* happen as it always seems to happen to me. I have 7 weeks of sick leave and 2 weeks of vacation, and my job is extremely physical so going back to work full duty is very important. My last surgery for uterine ablation was supposed to return me to work after 4 days, but I was out for 2 weeks due to endometritis which the Dr. said is very rare (about 2%). I was thinking of looking into disability insurance as well just in case. Thank you again!
Unread 05-20-2002, 09:50 AM
I too have checked my time

I was worried that I would not have enough time, but my employer said that after I used my sick time I could start collecting disability ins at half my rate of pay. I also have disability insurance on my truck payment after 30 days so that was a relief. I will tighten the belt and go with the flow. I don't want to push my self too much and worry isn't going to help me so I will deal with the problem as I need too. I work as a counselor and have to lift people or have their weight being supported by me so I will not return to work till I am healed to the companies liking. Hang in their there is a silver lining to every cloud.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register