Atypical/Borderline Cells Need a little Info | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Atypical/Borderline Cells Need a little Info Atypical/Borderline Cells Need a little Info

Unread 05-20-2002, 05:19 AM
Atypical/Borderline Cells Need a little Info

Hi My Name is Laurie,

I am new here, (I should say have been reading alot here) it is a great information place & you are all so supportive. I will not try to be to wordy.
Last November I started getting heavy, clotty periods. In Jan saw Gyn. said to keep my eye on it and to let him know. Three wks later I called him said I have been bleeding heavy the whole time had an ultrasound, he said saw fribrods and polpys. (hope I spelled it right) Suggested I have a procedure called Hesterscopy/D&C I did on 5/7/02 everything went fine. He then proceeded to call me to let me know they had removed the polyps and found some atypical cells on 1 polyp on the top of it and sugessted I have a hysterectomy.(he sent it to 3 different pathologist and himself)Which is fine with me my husband and I are finished having children(have 2 wonderful boys)husband has also had a vesectomy last November. We are getting together with Dr. this week. Was just wondering is this a form of cancer or if anyone else has been told the same thing.

Thanks for any info!
Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 05:52 AM

Hi Laurie, welcome to cancer concerns I'm sorry but I dont know anything about this type of cancer but I am sure there is someone who does and she will be along soon to help.

I do know all the emotions and fears that come with being diagnosed with cancer /pre cancer . It is very frightening. I am here always to support you and give you a when you need it. Will keep you close to my and in my prayers. Dont forget to let us know how you are doing xxx
Unread 05-20-2002, 06:05 AM

I think the thing to remember around here is that there is a long continuum of changes with perfectly healthy on one end and cancer on the other. There isn't an absolute point where it crosses over from one condition to the other. So, what they found were some cellular changes ("atypical") on the way toward cancer ("borderline") but not something you'd actually call cancer.

In other words, hysterectomy is probably a real good idea, but it's also probably all you'll need to treat the changes.

It's still scary!

I had a related kind of diagnosis with a rare kind of nonaggressive ovarian cancer almost three years ago now. I have to go for follow-up, but other than that, healing from the surgery was all I had to do.

Let us know how the meeting with the doctor goes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 07:52 AM
Trish's Reply is Good

I had ovarian too so can't really address your concerns. But Trish did a great job there. If you choose the hysterectomy, please be sure to check out both pre-op and post-op boards for lots of valuable information--I wish I'd found them before surgery!

Sending a big
Unread 05-20-2002, 04:27 PM

Hi Laurie,
Sorry to hear of your problems, and mine are different than yours, but perhaps I can shed a little light. Obviously, the best person to answer is your doc, but I do know a little aobut this. Atypical cells are not necessarily cancerous cells. They have somehow changed from their normal structure. Cancer cells can do this, but also infections or non-cancer growths can also show up this way.
I know it is hard (probably impossible for me), not to worry too much until you know more. Have you set the time for surgery yet?
Hang in there!
TJ
Unread 05-20-2002, 06:10 PM

Hi Laurie,

Sorry to hear that you have atypical cells and your doctor wants you to have a hysterectomy. Atypical means that the cells are not normal cellular structure...I would speak to your doctor again, he can explain it so much better than I can!

I'm glad you found this website. There is so much valuable information here to help prepare you for this procedure and the recovery. Keep those positive thoughts going!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register