Pregnant and waiting | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pregnant and waiting Pregnant and waiting

Unread 05-20-2002, 06:29 AM
Pregnant and waiting

I am 26 years old, 8 months pregnant, and waiting for my hysterectomy. I am due to have a c-section and hysterectomy at the same time. I am concerned about being able to care for my baby,breast-feed, and having time to heal. What can I expect in a situation like this? Is there anyone out there who has been in a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 09:55 AM
Pregnant and waiting

(((((idbaptist))))), I am so sorry that you are going through such a rough time right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I dont know if I have heard of anyone in a similar situation. The only thing I can think of is that you are going to need lots of help afterwards. Do you have family, mother or sister that could come and stay with you to help out? If not maybe you should check and see if insurance would pay for you to have a home nurse for the first few weeks at home. With your situation, that might be very possible.

I wish you well and know that we are all here for any emotional support that you may need!! Take care, hon, and let us know how you are doing!
Unread 05-20-2002, 10:03 AM
Pregnant and waiting

huge for you sweetie!!!

This has got to be hard to face two such major life changing events at once....I wish I could come and give you a big hug in person... congradulations on the llittle bundle however...

I have had 4 c-sections and my hyst. they are similar but not alike due to all the healing that will be going on inside...when you have a c-section they leave things in place thus no internal stitches.

there are pull downs you can go to....these will help you with things you can do to get ready for recovery..they helped me a great deal...Lifting will be a problem for the first week or two and so will bending. Will you be able to have someone with you 24-7 for that first few weeks? Breast feeding might be a problem if you are taking pain meds...they will transfer to your baby. I would talk to doc about this. I would also if it were me make the baby crib and my recovery area in the same place to make things easier for you and keep her close.....that bonding is important. you will need someone there to help take her out of crib and put her back....

there are things you can do now to help get ready for your recovery...get things like quick meals that can be nuked and make sure you have things to drink that won't be heavy to lift out of fridge...things like that...again the pull downs will help you there. there is also a list you can print for family so they will know how best to help you.....this is not a surgery that is anything like having a baby per say....some remarks people will say will astound you...take them with a grain of salt...

I hope this helps but please keep posting and keep reading...if you have more questions ask...don't be shy...we are here to help!!!....come to chat if you can ....there is a wonderful support system with live ladies who are or have been thru the same thing with their hysts...knowledge is power!!!

If you have trouble let us know and one of us will be sure to get you there....

you can e-mail me if you like anytime....

Dawn

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 12:32 PM
Hi Sweetie

Wow this is so hard to go through two such hard things at once. Having a baby is a joy but it is also such an all assuming time and energy thing. Having a c-section is, I have been told, a very tough surgery because it is surgery. A hyst is a whole nother ball game. You have to heal from two surgeries and that is going to be tough, but you know I think since you are so young you will come through with flying colors. Just be sure and get lots of help from caring for the baby and for you. I breast feed and there was lots of things that I couldn't take or eat, so be sure and talk with your DR about this there just might be a way. God Bless and please let us know how you progress.

Unread 05-20-2002, 12:43 PM
Pregnant and waiting

Hi honey!

I am so sorry you are going through two events at the same time. I did a search of the posts and this link discusses breast feeding after a hyst

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...aby+and+breast

I've had a c-sec and a hyst. Neither was especially fun, but I can imagine recovering from both at the same time will take some time. I would certainly think it possible to nurse, although I would spend the effort to get a nurse-lactation consultant lined up before hand, if breast feeding is important to you. They can show you positions that will be more comfortable, and can advise you on medications that will relieve your pain, but not pass to the baby too much. Your hospital may have a lactation consultant on staff who would meet with you before hand.

I am sure that leleche league would be knowledgeable about this situation, so that is another source to check. Their advice is usually free.

Do you have other children at home or other responsibilities?

Dorrie
Unread 05-20-2002, 01:01 PM
Pregnant and waiting

((((idbaptist))))

I am so sorry to hear that you have to go through two surgeries at once. I have never had a c-section, but I have had a Hyst and with 5 children, so I can tell you that you will need as much help as you can possibly get.
If you go to church, the church family can be a big help, with meals and some help with taking care of the baby while you get some rest.
Also as many friends and family as you can round up to help would be great.
I am sending huge s your way, and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Love & s
Unread 05-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Many thanks!!!!!

Ladies,
You have no idea how helpful and reassuring your comments have been. Keep them coming. They really have helped me get through the day.
Unread 05-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Pregnant and waiting

Hi,
My name is Roisin (ro-sheen), I'm 41 years old and I too am having a caesarean hysterectomy (thursday 23rd May in fact). I just found this great forum today, but unfortunately haven't been able to find too much info on having this double operation. I can tell you, I am pretty scared, I've been told the surgery will probably take 4 hours. I've had 3 caesareans in the past, my last being 12 years ago. I recovered fairly quickly with the caesareans. But with this operation coming up I was told they will be cutting me from the pubic bone right up to my chest as they will be taking the baby out from the top of the uterus as they don't want to cut through the placenta which is lying right at the front on the lower part of the abdomen. They will be removing the uterus which they think is also attached to the bladder, also the cervix, and stitching the vagina closed. They will be leaving my ovaries, (let's hope they keep working!)

I am of course worried about the actual operation, they are anticipating a lot of bloodloss, but now as the time is getting closer I am getting extremely concerned about recovery. My doctor is anticipating possibly a few days in intensive care at the worst, but at the least I will be having a 5 day stay in hospital. It's no fun to know that my insurance will unlikely cover too much of this, but what can you do? Hubby is taking a week off after I get home. I know it must be hard recovering from a hysterectomy alone let alone the added burden of the caesarean and caring for a newborn. Oh and our baby is going to be 6 weeks early too.

If anybody knows of any websites pertaining to this type of situation I would be truly grateful. Plus does anyone know if there is the usual bleeding after the birth that you would have with just a regular caesarean? I know this sounds so stupid, but I guess I'm sitting here wondering how any blood would get out if everything inside is gone and the vagina is stitched closed. My doctor said that I was lucky as I wouldn't have the afterpains of birth as there was no uterus to contract.....comforting......but what about the nice 16/17 inch wound on the outside.....ouch, ouch, ouch!!!

I will post an update after I get home and let you know how it all went. I'm a nervous wreck today, but keep telling myself that soon it will all be over.

God bless all of you
Roisin

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Sometimes the Lord calms the storm;
sometimes He lets the storm rage
and calms His child.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Unread 05-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Pregnant and waiting

I just had my hysterectomy on the 7th of may and I also breastfeed my son 4 months. I called the hospital before my surgery and ask them what I could take for pain man. after the surgery. They told me I could take vicadin (sp). They usually give that to you after you have a baby anyway. The only thing I have had a problem with is I am not supposd to pick up my son he weighs 18#. I had my mom do it for the week of and after my surgery but now I can do it just fine. Just relax and let people help you anyway they want to. Let them do the work for you. Good luck and I hope this helps. Oh, and I had morphine right after the surgery and it didn't hurt the baby either.
Unread 05-21-2002, 06:18 PM
Pregnant and waiting

Ladies you have my prayers and thoughts....
Take care of yourselves, and accept ALL offers of help, no matter how big or small they are....put your trust in God....

All the best Janice, Nova Scotia,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register