Scared about Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared about Surgery Scared about Surgery

Unread 05-20-2002, 07:45 AM
Scared about Surgery

Just found out I need to have a total hysterectomy. Surgery date is June 26, 2002. I think it is the fear of being put to sleep and losing "my womanhood". I just joined today. Any pre-op advice to calm my nerves?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 07:51 AM
You're not alone

Hello!

I'm getting mine done June 10th. You are not alone in being afraid. I think my DH is getting ready to kill me because all I do is talk about this. It's starting to border on obsessive, I'm sure!!!

If everyone out there get's sick of hearing from me, let me just say, I'll be better and less obsessive once I get back from the castle.

Hang in there everyone in the same boat as we are and listen to the post-op advice..it's all so good.

Buck up campers!
Unread 05-20-2002, 07:52 AM
Fears

tsouders,

Welcome to hystersisters! I'm glad you found us. The best advice I can give you is to read everything on this site. I limited myself to the pre-op board at first, then ventured into the post-op after a couple of weeks. I felt like I was cheating, since I still haven't had my surgery (four days and counting), but there was a lot of valuable information there as well.

Did your dr. say your would be put to sleep? If that is a real concern of yours, many women tell their dr. and he does a spinal instead.

Your fears are natural and there have been many posts on that very subject. Check out the drop down menus and search for key words. I think you will find comfort in what women who have gone before you have to say.

Please read everything, visit chat and come back with any and all questions. No question is off limits.

We're glad you are here.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 08:15 AM
Welcome June Sister!!!

I am having an LAVH on June 5th. I feel the same as you

"I think it is the fear of being put to sleep and losing "my womanhood"." I have struggled a lot with the "lose" of this part of my body!!! And when I am not obsessed about that, I tend to send myself into little panic attacks over being put 'under'. lol

This site has been absolutely WONDERFUL for me! I don't know what I would have done without it!!! I felt so alone and because I am 32, I thought I was very young. BUT, when I came here I found out there are many many women going through the same thing, and have the same fears. It was such a relief.
Like clusswoman, I have been completely obsessed over this surgery and driving dh nuts! But from everything I have seen, it is soooo much better on the other side!

The waiting is the worst part, so hang on!!!

s s s

WELCOME!

Kelley

Unread 05-20-2002, 09:03 AM
The waiting is the worst part of it

Hi. I had my tah/bso on 4/18. I had never had major surgery and I thought I was going to go out of my mind with worry. I had DH and my 3 children trying to stay away from me because I was so grumpy or crying over the least little thing. I eventually went back to the DR about a month before my surgery and told him I wasn't sleeping, nauseated and just plain scared. He gave me a prescription for Zanax and medicine for my nausea. After that I was very calm about everything. I too can go into panic attacks and just knew I was going to have one the day of the surgery, but they were ready for me. Since my surgery was in the afternoon, I didn't have to be at the castle until 11 am. At 9 that morning I took a Zanax and when I got to the hospital they gave me 2 Valium and that was it for me. I don't remember hardly anything. Once they had the IV going, they gave me Versed (spelling?), they call it the "I don't care about anything medicine" and antibiotics and they let hubby go into the holding area with before so he was there with me until the rolled me to surgery. He asked the DR's and the medicine man if I was ok, and they said sure, I was just in never never land. The next thing I remember it was 6pm and I was in my own room. I never got sick from the anesestia (spelling?) I had the leg pumps on my legs and I asked my hubby is they were taking my BP in my legs and he explained what they were. It keeps the blood in your legs circulating. I had the Demoral PCA pump for pain. It was continously going into my IV and if I needed more, I could push the pump every 10 minutes. But only needed to push the pump when they came in and turned me my back to side. It was hard, I had 14 staples across my abdomen. Which didn't feel the greatest but they had a tummy binder on me and helped out a lot. I had surgery on a thursday and was home on Sunday. I had a general instead of an epidural.
I am glad it's all over. I will say the worst part is the waiting. Now I am going on 5 weeks post op. Well, Thursday it will be 5 weeks. My recovery has been slow for me but we all recover at different speeds depending on our body. I am hoping the DR releases me to do normal activities this Friday. I haven't been released to drive or do anything. But like I said, we all recover at different speeds. Listen to your body. It will let you know when you have done your limit. You find yourself so tired, all you think about is sleeping or resting.
One thing to remember, you might suffer from Insomnia. I have read that a lot of people suffer from that. I still suffer. I'll be asking my DR for something to help me sleep. I have been taking Tylenol PM but that it doesn't seem to help all the time. I have read the insomnia sometimes is called from your hormones. I am taking Premarin 1.25 twice a day. No hot flashes or night sweats. Thank goodness.
Sorry this is so long. Hope it helps. 's and prayers to each and all of you. God Bless, Tammy

Ask a lot of questions. I had them for the board plus my DR. I even wrote them down so I wouldn't forget them at the DR's office.
Unread 05-20-2002, 09:43 AM
being a woman

Hi, Tsouders,

My uterus, cervix, ovaries, fallopian tubes, and also their annoying fibroids, endometriosis, adenomyosis, and cysts were surgically removed over eleven months ago. I am a woman.

I am happy to report that I am a woman. My chromosomes all contain two X genes. That fact made me a human female (AKA woman) when I was born. That hasn't changed. I'm a woman.

I am still a warm, caring, nurturing female. I still cry at sad movies, cuddle little children, cultivate my rose garden, wear a bra, perfume and make-up, and enjoy cooking and needlework. Yes, I'm a woman.

If you have a hysterectomy, you'll still be a woman, too. Only women can have hysterectomies, for one thing. And we don't turn into men after the surgery.

I don't agree that having a hysterectomy means that we've lost our womanhood. Although we place great value on our female organs, and many of us grieve after those organs are removed, we are still women.

You'll be a woman, too, just as you are now.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 05-20-2002, 10:05 AM
Scared About Surgery

tsouders,

i'm having a TAH/BSO June 4th. Maybe I'm just older than you, but I don't feel like I'm losing my womanhood. I feel like I'm moving on to a better stage in my life. No more pain, periods, moodiness... I can't wait!! I am scared about being put to sleep, but once I wake up I'm sure I will be glad of my decision. I will let you know how I do after surgery. Don't fret.... so many woman have told me that I will be better than ever! You just have to believe!

Nancy
Unread 05-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Scared about Surgery

tsouders, I am having a TAh, don't know yet about my ovaries. Hopefully keeping those. I've though long and hard about my uterus and wehther I would miss it or not. This may sound cold, but I don't get all weepy when I think about it. I'vehad bad pains ever since I was 12 and now it's getting worse. It served it's purpose when I needed it and now it's just causing lots of problems. I can't wait to get it over with. I feel like I'll be more of a woman after having this because I'll be able to have s.. with my DH without being in pain. The one thing that I'm stressing out about is being scared about the actual surgery and anesthesia. I break out in tears when I think about it. I think, what if I die and my kids and my Dh and I get crazed. So I take my anti-anxiety pill and drift off to sleep. These are going to be a long three weeks.
Unread 05-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Scared about Surgery

Hi Tsouders,

My surgery is the same day as yours. I felt the same way until I started reading all the post, it helps alot. You will get alot of questions answers here.

Lots of Love,

Unread 05-20-2002, 11:26 AM
Scared about Surgery

I am new to this site also. I am have my TAH on June 18th. We will be in the hospital at the same time. I am scared to death! I have my moments when I totally freak out, then there are times when I'm ok. I think it's normal. I have found what helps me is keeping BUSY! I work full time and have 2 children 11 and 14 and a stepchild who is 15. I have several projects going on around the house that I know that if I don't get done now I would be wishing that I had while I'm recovering.

I have a hard time being at home doing nothing, and I know during some of my recovery time I will be doing nothing, and it will drive me nuts. So I decided I am going to enjoy my time at home, not working, with all my little projects done and I am going to rest and read.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register