Preventative hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preventative hysterectomy? Preventative hysterectomy?

Unread 05-20-2002, 11:52 AM
Preventative hysterectomy?

Hi, everyone. I'm scheduled for Laparascopically assisted vaginal hyst. on Thurs., May 23 --- I'm wondering if anyone out there has had hyst. for the same reason I'm having mine.

I had one ovary removed five years ago for a large cystadenoma that was borderline abnormal, and various doctors have advised me since then to "have it all out," as there is an increased risk factor for ovarian cancer. I'm 47, peri-menopausal, and would like to be around to raise my youngun'.

So, although I'm symptom-free (despite some fibroids), this is happening in order to remove the remaining (currently normal) ovary. It's either "have it all out," or live the rest of my life with twice-yearly ultrasound screening for ovarian cancer.

At least, that's what they tell me. Any comments before my big day? This might be a little easier to face if I were having discomfort and bleeding ... as it is, I'm just dreading it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 12:05 PM
Well...

I can relate. I'm having my TAH/BSO for complex endmetrial hyperplasia, a dermoid tumor on the right ovary and a fibroid.

I'm totally asymptomatic, and could opt to remove the tumor and have lots of endometrial biopsies to monitor the hyperplasia. After much discussion with my partner and reading I decided that any risk of cancer was too much of a risk for me, thus, everything is coming out. So, I guess my operation could be seen as semi-preventative.

If you are comfortable with your decision, then go for it. There were a couple of times that I read an article or web site that made me feel almost bad for opting for this surgery, like I was wrong for not making every effort to save my uterus. Then I stopped and reminded myself that it was my body and my decision. It became very clear for me that this operation is the right thing for me to do.

Your mileage may vary, but you are absolutely at the right site to find great information, and great women to discuss this stuff with!

Chris
Unread 05-20-2002, 12:07 PM
Preventative hysterectomy?

It depends on how many times you want to go through surgery.

I could have tried the ablation and waited a few more years, but being the same age as you are, I imagined myself going through the surgery at 57.

I had already put it off 10+ years and wish I'd have had it 10 years ago. I know it's easy to put off when you have no pain, that's what I did.

Be comfortable with your decision no matter which way you go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Hi there

I am 34 and also scheduled for surgery on 5/23. TAH-BSO. I am one of the few women here who did not go through the whole rigaromo of testing to decide about a hyst. My Mom had a hyst at 37 and her two sisters had theirs in their 30's as well. My great-grand mother is included in that bunch. I watched them go through the biopsies, the D&C's the laproscopic stuff. Only to end up with a hyst. We have a history of reproductive cancers. I chose to skip the endless testing and being operated on to take bits and pieces of me over a period of time. Have I been questioned as to why I am NOT taking step to save my uterus? Yep. Do I care? Nope. Only I live with the pain. Only I live with the clots. Only I live with the fear. I am the only one who can make this decision. My DR is a compassionate, experienced DR. He agrees with why I do not wish to do this in "baby steps" and why I do not wish to keep my ovaries. I don't want to feel like I am living with a time bomb inside of me by leaving them. I know how you feel....do what is best for you and only you.
I was also questioned when having a C-section 13 years ago. I got pregnant on the pill. I wanted a tubal at the time of my C-sect. My DR said 21 was too young. I said I would find another DR. He said I needed hubby's permission. <In the dark ages?> Hubby was happy to oblige. Have I looked back one time? NEVER. We are intelligent women making decisions about our own health care. And GOOD for us!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register