New, Looking for support-Bleeding 23 days | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New, Looking for support-Bleeding 23 days New, Looking for support-Bleeding 23 days

Unread 05-20-2002, 12:56 PM
New, Looking for support-Bleeding 23 days

Hello Ladies~ I have been reading some posts here, and think you all are so wonderful, supportive of each other. I am looking for I don't know what, just some support I guess. I was diagnosed with fibroids and adenomyosis last year after a sonogram. I was having these debilitating cramps the likes I had never felt before. Now after a fairly uneventful year, except for the cramping, I started my period, and it won't stop! This is the 23rd day. It is not heavy and I feel that's the only thing that has saved me. I called the dr's and the nurse was not concerned, just scheduled me in for June 11. Last year my ob/gyn said a hysterctomy would end this. I've had 3 c-sections, and a tubal ligation was 5 yrs ago with my last section. I guess I am just looking for someone who has been thru this prolonged bleeding. No one knows what I am going thru, and I know the women on this board do after reading what some of you have went thru and continue going thru. Bless all of you!! I don't know what other thing to do but a hysterectomy. It scares me, but yet.... I can't live like this either. Thanks for letting me vent!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Welcome

KC35,

Welcome to Hystersisters. You are so lucky that you found this spot before ever making a decision about surgery. Some women find it after surgery--some just before. I consider myself lucky to have found it so long ago--about six weeks before surgery.

I do not have the same extended bleeding problems you are experiencing, so I can't offer anything there. But I did want to welcome you and assure you that no matter what you ask, someone has been there and will be along shortly to give you her take on it.

There are all kinds of wonderful resources on this site. Read everything you can, then post any and all questions you may still have. Keep us posted on how you're doing and what the outcome is when you see the dr.

Nancy
Unread 05-20-2002, 01:13 PM

Hugs to you, KC35! I started a period around Feb. 14 of this year. It, too, didn't stop. After three weeks, the bleeding suddenly came so heavy, I was soaking a pad every 20 minutes and passing large clots each time. After 2 and 1/2 hours of that, my husband finally convinced me to go to the E/R. To make a long story short, I had a D&C the next day. There is some bleeding after a D&C and I had that for almost a week and a half, then the bleeding stopped. I had a checkup with my doctor that same day and she said it would take at least a week or two before there was enough lining built back up to shed in a period. She said it would be impossible for it to start back up in two days. Well, two days later, it started back up! I saw a gynecologist the next day and he scheduled me for a hysterectomy (LAVH/LSO meaning laprascopy assisted vaginal hysterectomy with the left ovary and tube removed) in a week and a half's time. So by the time I had the surgery, I had bled for six weeks minus two days. I know how you feel. My flow for most of the six weeks was medium, not super heavy. I also started bleeding very heavily the whole day and night before the surgery. This is only my opinion and I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but if it were me, I would see a doctor as soon as possible. I would not want to wait til June. I wouldn't want to chance becoming anemic. You may not have been bleeding very much, but you have been bleeding for a long time.
I hope everything works out for you. I am *so* glad I had this surgery. Every day I thank God I'm not bleeding anymore. It is wonderful! This is a great site. Please post anytime about anything. These ladies are great!! They've encouraged me greatly. There's also a live chat that you're welcome to participate in. Keep in touch - we really do care!

Love, Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 02:23 PM
Been there, done that...

Dear KC35,
I know exactly what you're going through...as I mentioned before somewhere, I was taking change of clothes and old worn out towels with me everywhere. I must have used five or more
(lost count) bottles of SHOUT this past year. One episode I thought for sure I am bleeding to death. Hubbie is the one who stepped in and said enough....he was so worried and afraid. I'm tired of being tired, cramping, bleeding, back pains. If I can get my life back with this surgery, I will be so grateful. I'm finally going to do it, tomorrow morning. I can't wait. Please look for my post when I return. I want to feel alive again. These past few months waiting have been the toughest. I'm ready for this. Nervous, but ready...I've had enough of these problems. Everyone is different...you don't know how many opinions I have gotten, but in the end, it is up to you....Now, no one is changing my mind.
Unread 05-20-2002, 02:44 PM

After almost 30 yrs of having a period for five days every 31 days and then for three months bleeding for ten days stopping for three and then bleeding another ten..I had had it ..I was worried I'd had adhesions before and had surgery to remove them but never this Went to my Dr and becuz of five prior surgeries for the adhesions, I chose to finally have the hysterectomy. I ended up not only having more adhnesions but fibroids. endo and adeno..that was the cause of all of the bleeding I bled heavy tho and was sooooooo tired..I am not 13 weeks post op tomorrow and feeling great I still get tired but other than that..I am sooooo glad not to have a period anymore and have no problems or pain Was the best thing I've done for myself..I am a normal person agian..
Unread 05-20-2002, 03:23 PM

Welcome to hystersisters! I found this site about 2 months before surgery, and it is great. It is so comforting to know that other women are going through the same thing. Before I came to this site I felt like no one else knew what I was dealing with. I kept a newspaper or plastic shopping bag in my car to sit on "just in case".

17 years ago I had the first never ending period. I went to my PCP and he found a polyp on my cervix, so he referred me to a gyn. I had a d&c to remove the polyp and for 16 or so years everything was fine. 3-1/2 years ago it happened again. Went to my PCP, he found another polyp, which he was able to remove in the office, but he also found the fibroids then, so once again I was referred to a gyn.

At that time my uterus was the size of a 6 week pregnancy. She put me on provera 11 days a month to control the bleeding. It did its job for 3 years. Last fall it started again, heavy and enormous clots. When I went to the gyn she said it's time, my uterus was now the size of a 16 week pregnancy. The bleeding lasted for 43 days.

Surgery was in February. Pathology report said many, many, many fibroids, lining very thickened, another polyp, and both ovaries were polycystic.

She put me on an iron prescription for 3 months before surgery and 2 months after.

On the home page there are some drop down menus with lists, hints and other sisters stories. One of them has a list of questions for your DR. Here is a link to it:
https://www.hystersisters.com/questions.php

Good luck, and once again welcome!
Unread 05-20-2002, 03:27 PM

KC,
Welcome to the group. My bleeding started on 3/24/02. I'm still bleeding.......... so much so that I nearly passed out last Monday 5/13 and went to the ER. I was severely anemic. My hematracrit was 19 and my normal is 38 - 39!!! I was changing pads for a while there every 1/2 hour. I couldn't use tampons because that was a joke. I'm scheduled for my hyst on 6/4 and the Dr. told me I will continue to bleed right up til then. But after the 5 pint transfusion last week, he put me on birth control pills and that has helped tremendously.

Good luck,
TC
Unread 05-20-2002, 03:43 PM

Hi KC!

I have been in your shoes! Please don't wait until June, if at all possible, to see your doc.... or even an E.R. doc. I've bled on and off for the past 10 years like that. And the times I let it go and didn't listen were the times I should have. The past 5 years have been the worst, bleeding wise. I've had to have a total of six blood transfusions within just the past two years. I've been through D&C's, horomone therapy, the whole gammet. Now, finally, I get my wish. I go this Wednesday for a hyst. I feel like I'm finally being set free!

So don't wait, see someone as soon as you can. You shouldn't have to suffer anymore. Just keep asking all the questions you need to! I pray you have a wonderful doctor that can diagnose and treat you a.s.a.p. I wasn't so lucky. You're in my prayers!

Let us know how things go!

~~~ Stormy
Unread 05-20-2002, 03:59 PM
Thank you Everyone!

Wow, thank you so much for replying. I feel better knowing there are women out there who understand. And my goodness! I feel a bit whiney after reading some of the replies! What you are going thru, it is such a stress, and tiring, and just NOT healthy! Thank you for giving me your support.

I also will say a prayer and have those getting ready to have hysterectomies soon! Good luck gals! I am anxious to hear how things go, and how relief feels!
Unread 05-20-2002, 04:03 PM
living

Hi sister

I have gone through many years of pain, bleeding, no periods for extended time, dragging my self on the floor and praying that I would feel like a woman again.

I went to so many doctors, I was sent to a shrink for my pain and my shrink told me I was normal, I didn't need to be SHRINKED (smile). I have been through so many test and surgery to fix me temporally. I finally found a doctor who listened and I am at my post -op month date. They took it all and to tell you even with the pains of recovery they do not meet the years of not living. I feel alive and I am loving the idea of being a woman. I dont know what the future holds but man am I ready.

You need to make the choice for your self but dont wait toooooo long

Hugs and good living....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register