The Right Decision? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The Right Decision? The Right Decision?

Unread 05-20-2002, 01:06 PM
The Right Decision?

Well I am sitting here scratching my head nervious,scared wondering if I have made a wise decision. Any advice would be grately appreciated.
I am 33,married, mother of 4. TAH poss BSO june 19,2002

I have found out that I have fibroids and pre cancerous cells in the upper neck area of my cervix. I have been bleeding since august of last yr, only stopping a day here and there.

My Dr preformed a Hysterscope and D&C. He thought this would help stop my bleeding to no avail I am still bleeding. He tried to atleast slow me down because I was flowing right at an pad an hour for 4 days (way to much) with provera. little results, A week later I have slowed to a moderate amount. I had to make an appt to see him because I was almost passing out, very weak. He sat me down and said there was only two things we could do. Try Horemone therapy or Hysterectomy. I think, I like blacked out or slipped into another personality LOL I quickly said NO NO NO! I have had my children and I don't want to go on birth control! I had my tubes tied 8 yrs ago. I am tired of the bleeding,losing work and the stress thats added to my marriage. He set it all up TAH
Did I jump the gun? Wouldn't taking horemones just be putting off the inevitable? I am just so tired of being sick and tired!!!
Please help! sorry so long just need some comfort?! or advise!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 01:16 PM
Your decision

ezluvnz,

I think we all second-guess the decision to have a hysterectomy. I asked my dr. years ago if a hysterectomy was elective surgery yet.

But, when I had a dr. actually say I needed the surgery, and tell me all the facts about it, I went into a panic. I was crying on the way home and my dh reminded me that I had been praying for a hysterectomy for years. Deep down, I think I knew it would come to this and I am happy that I am headed there (in four days, but who is counting?).

If you really have doubts, why not get a second opinion? Many of the women here have seen two or more drs. before deciding for sure if it is the right decision for them.

It really is up to you, with input from those who care for you, including the dr.

This is a wonderful site with a wealth of information. Read everything, then ask questions. The women here are directly responsible for my sanity in the past six weeks.

Nancy
Unread 05-20-2002, 02:22 PM
The Right Decision?

I so understand the second guessing thing.
A few days before my surgery I started...... and wouldnt you know it ....... things were okay for the first time in FOREVER. I swore that my body was begging me to rethink this, saying....... "see, I'll be good".
(all this was going on in my mind as I was headed to the hospital in tears).
Well I am three weeks post op and going back to work tomorrow.
For me........... I am so relieved to have this second chance at a new life.
Do you know the way you feel when your period stops..... and you take a sigh and say...... "cool its over for a few weeks". Well times it by 1,000 that is the feeling at this side of the fence.

I was controlled by periods TOTALLY.

A moment ago I was talking to boyfriend about taking his son miniture golfing this weekend and my mind went IMEDIATELY to
" will I be on period"........ it is such an automatic thing... how much it contolled my every plan I made.

When I say times that feeling by 1,000 that is only because at this moment I have not FULLY realized how free I am........ I still have the phathom period syndrom.
Hey...... might have to make a new post on that one.. lol

I wish you the best with you choice process.
xo DonnaFay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2002, 03:45 PM
The Right Decision?

Hi ezluvnz

Welcome to Hystersisters!

This is a decision you have to make for yourself. You are in the right place to get info, support, and reasons why others made the decisions they did.

If you are not sure, and if it isn't a medical emergency, get a second, or third, or fourth, or however many opinions you need to be confident that whatever choice you make is the right one for you.

From the mission statement:
  Quote:
The Hyster Sisters site is neither anti-hyst nor pro-hyst, rather, it is an online community of women who give and receive support for hysterectomy decisions and recovery. Hystersisters.com offers resources and kindness so that our visitors can discover options and make decisions for themselves.
No one will try to talk you into or out of a hyst. The women here can and will provide support, comfort and info.

Unread 05-20-2002, 05:25 PM
The Right Decision?

It is a very hard decision. I got 3 opinions. My original and wonderful female gyno said to wait. She cut her hours after a year, so I went to a wacko that wore a fur coat and drove a red sports car and wanted me to come back and back so he could make $ off me! Finally, I found my honey bear doc who could not believe the torture I was going through: severe cramps, flooding, clots, anemia, and thoughts of suicide(scary)! He picked a date! I cheered as I jumped off the curb outside his office. Your heart will tell you the truth! Vacation #2 in the Caribbean without my stinking period here I come!!!! Good luck! Hang with us! Do your research and ask lots of questions.
Unread 05-20-2002, 06:22 PM
Second guessing

I had my TAH on 4/30, 6days after my 28th birthday. I have two beautiful children and my DH had a vasectomy right after the last so I knew there would be no more kids. This was still a very difficult decision for me. My DR put it into perspective for me. He said at my age this was a quality of life decision. I was bleeding all the time and had severe pain from endo on my left side and I wasn't able to be a good mom. I finally had to quit my job as a nurses aide. I am 3 weeks post now and I have not regretted my decision for 1 minute. I already feel better now than I did before my surgery. ANd I laugh hysterically when I see comercials for pads and tampons. (Dh thinks I'm nuts, but this is my own personal way of celebrating my new life)This is a very personal decision, but we all deserve to live life to the fullest! Good luck and you are in my prayers!!!

TaraLee TAH 4/30/02 for endo, adeno and fibroids
Unread 05-20-2002, 10:07 PM
Indecision!

Only you can decide when the pro's outweight the con's. Make sure you are as informed as possible about the choices you need to make - believe me, ignorance is not bliss when it comes to medical matters. It took me a year of to-ing and fro-ing to finally make a castle date - was not in any real pain, just bladder freqency, so it was not as urgent as your problems. However, I'm sure that real pain and other discomforts such as bleeding etc would make that decision much quicker! Good luck with your decision making - hope you don't stress too much over it.

:
Unread 05-21-2002, 06:21 AM
The Right Decision?

Welcome to Hyster sisters!

I know what exactly your going through. Last year I told my doctor I wanted a hyster when I walked into his office. I too had terrible periods that would not stop. I had a 10 day break, thankfully. I went in for an ablation. At my next appointment he told me that I eventually will probably have to have a hyster. He said my bleeding would start back up again. I have endo on my ovary and tube. 5 months later I started having periods again. I thought to myself I want the hyster, I can't wait.

Went to see the doctor again. We talked about my options. I too was offered BC I said NO! As he was talking to me about the hyster procedure I felt my eye welting up. I too cried all the way home. I think thats a natural response, with everything us sisters go through with our conditions. After I cried for the day I got busy researching. I will be having a TAH-BSO this fall. I want to enjoy my summer with my children. After your done researching you'll know the right answer. Also, get a second opinion. I did'nt get one. I trust my doc 100%. 'm very comfortable with my doctor. I did research on my doctor before I went to him 5 years ago. If you know nurses talk to them. Also talk to people who have had a Hyster.

Good luck to you and God Bless!!!

Melissa
Unread 05-21-2002, 06:44 AM
The Right Decision?

I had my tah/bso almost one month ago and I was thinking the same way you are.. I thought about all the options for a long time... my gyn offered me birth control too and lupron... I said no way.. I have my children I am 45 years old... and yet a few days before the surgery I said... maybe I shouldn't..... I am soooo glad I did it... the doctor found a huge mass of endo that weighed at least 3 lbs, my uterus was full of adeno and I had massive fibroids... I too had the feelings of almost passing out during my periods ... it is a terrible way to live... the pain and the bleeding... everyone must make their own decision just don't let fear of the unknown rule your decision.. this is a great site... do research to educate yourself and be prepared for whatever it is you decide to do...
best wishes,
kara
Unread 05-21-2002, 06:58 AM
The Right Decision?

sounds like your decision is wise. I am coming up on my date, 6-12 and I am anxious as well. No heavy bleeding right now but take me off the pill and boom. I am anxious as well but looking forward to the days of less anxiety over how awlful my tummy feels. Everyone I talk to says they feel sooooo much better. Take heart...there is light at the end of the tunnel and we are all here for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register