Scheduled TAH Travel 5 1/2 weeks after total abdominal hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Travel 5 1/2 weeks after total abdominal hysterectomy? Travel 5 1/2 weeks after total abdominal hysterectomy?

Unread 11-26-2015, 08:44 AM
Travel 5 1/2 weeks after total abdominal hysterectomy?

I would love opinions from people that had abdominal surgery. Will I be feeling ok to ride 7 hours 5 1/2 weeks after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2015, 11:22 AM
Re: Travel after TAH

Hi awallace711 -

How are you traveling? By car? By plane? Is this for vacation? Here is some information on Traveling after Hysterectomy | Airplanes

I had a TAH BSO. I know for me at 5 1/2 weeks after surgery, I was not up for any vacation or travel. I was only able to do part time work at a moderate stress desk job. I would still tire very easily, and was not up to much, and would sometimes just want to rest on the couch after work.

Everyone is different, but if you can postpone this, it might be a good idea. That way for sure you will enjoy the trip.

Unread 11-26-2015, 07:14 PM
Re: Travel after TAH

I was feeling pretty much back to normal by that time. It really probably just depends on how your recovery goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2015, 07:30 PM

Our trip would be by car to visit family. We would drive down one day, stay that night and the next day and then drive home on the third day. I could rest while there but I'm concerned about the drive. I also don't want it to set me back since I'd like to return to work at six weeks or so.
Unread 11-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Re: Travel 5 1/2 weeks after total abdominal hysterectomy?

Hi awallace711 -

It just really depends - everyone is different. Remember this is MAJOR SURGERY. You are having an important organ removed from your body. Healing from this takes time and lots of energy.

As I said above, I know I would not have been up to that at all, nor would I have been in the mood to visit anyone.

You can play it by ear to see how you feel - just alert your family that you may cancel. You can also just cancel now, just to be sure, and schedule a visit some time in the future when you feel like visiting and enjoy the trip better.

Unread 11-28-2015, 12:04 AM

I went on vacation 4.5 weeks after my TAH. I talked to my doctor and he told me to make sure I got out of the car to stretch on the way down. It was a 6 hr drive and I made sure I had a pillow up front with me if needed. I did great. If your doctor says it's okay and you are up to it. Then by all means go
Unread 11-28-2015, 08:00 AM

Hopefully, it's the kind of trip you can delay the decision on until you get closer to the date and see how you feel.

I didn't spend more than an hour or two at a time away from the house for the first 2-1/2 weeks. Even short outings (outdoor walks, quick run to the store) could make me pretty sore.

Then right around the 3-week mark, things improved noticeably. If that happens to you, maybe you can test yourself with a longer local outing and see how your body responds. I tried a tailgate and football game --all told, about 7 hours being out and about, although I was moving a little slower than normal still -- and I felt pretty good when I got home. I think a longer car trip now at 4-1/2 weeks would be very doable for me, especially if I didn't had to drive myself.

But listen to your body if it tells you different!
Unread 11-28-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNash View Post
Hopefully, it's the kind of trip you can delay the decision on until you get closer to the date and see how you feel.

I didn't spend more than an hour or two at a time away from the house for the first 2-1/2 weeks. Even short outings (outdoor walks, quick run to the store) could make me pretty sore.

Then right around the 3-week mark, things improved noticeably. If that happens to you, maybe you can test yourself with a longer local outing and see how your body responds. I tried a tailgate and football game --all told, about 7 hours being out and about, although I was moving a little slower than normal still -- and I felt pretty good when I got home. I think a longer car trip now at 4-1/2 weeks would be very doable for me, especially if I didn't had to drive myself.

But listen to your body if it tells you different!
Thank you for your advice! Yes, I can definitely wait until the very last minute to decide how I feel. It's just hard when it's in-laws that I may have to tell no, but I won't push my body if I can tell I'm not up to it.
Unread 11-28-2015, 10:35 AM

Waiting until closer to the travel date to see how you feel is a good approach. From prior surgeries I've had and from what I've read here every surgery and every person is so different. You could feel wonderful after a couple weeks recovery and up for traveling or you may need more time to rest. I'm trying to be optimistic that I will be feeling good early on but have allotted enough time for recovery just in case I'm not.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register