Post Op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-21-2002, 07:53 AM
Post Op

Well it's over and I am back to work full time after 4 weeks. I can't believe this recovery was easier than the delivery of my kids! I was actually driving the day after I got out of the hospital. I was knocked out during surgery as well as the local. I did wake up once and felt pressure and told them to knock me out again. The only problem I had was a UTI which was actually more painful than the surgery. I'm gaining my strength back slowly and can't wait to start exercising. My first week back to work I was wiped out every night, but I expect it will get better each week. While I was off, I worked in my garden and planted lots of plants and flowers. I am now on premarin 1.25 mg a day. I have yet to have any hot flashes but I do get headaches every day. I'll give my body time to adjust to the hormones and then if the headaches don't go away, I call my doc to see about adjusting the dosage. I just want to thank everyone for their support. For those that are facing the same fears that I was, I totally understand. When I woke up from surgery, I was relieved that it was over and everything was ok. The only advice that I can give is to stay calm and be organized. Again, thank you for everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2002, 08:26 AM
Hi Judy

I am glad your surgery and recovery have gone so well. You didn't mention what type of surgery you had. Perhaps you had a TVH or LAVH. Some women feel a little better sooner. Were you released by your doctor to drive the day after surgery?
Whatever type of surgery we all are facing here on the HS site it is important to remember that it is still major surgery. There are alot of internal stitches that need time to heal. Recovery time is 6-8 weeks. The more you rest during that time the better and faster you will heal internally.
It is great if some women feel up to doing a few things earlier on and can do so with no unpleasant consequences. But I would not want to set any unrealistic expectations. For most of us it is a longer and more challenging recovery than recovering from childbirth, for those that have experienced that. Usually 6-8 weeks before returning to normal activites and then when released by your doctor. And a full 6-12 months for a complete recovery.
At 3 months post op I am feeling fantastic. But if I push on my tummy I can still feel that it is tender in there. I will still proceed with caution on some activities for awhile longer.
Best wishes for your continued successful recovery.
Unread 05-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Post Op

Welcome back, Princess Judy! Glad to hear you recovered so well and are feeling good. You must be an exception, though! I agree with Shelley that most princesses are not ready to return to work at 4 weeks post op, and certainly are not up to gardening right after a hyst! And most drs will not give clearance for new princesses to start driving before 2 weeks post op. There are so many fragile tissues healing, and also the brain fog after anesthesia and pain meds that it isn't advisable to risk getting into an accident!

For our LIW's I'll say that the usual instructions for post op hyst are to rest with feet up the first two weeks, with only short easy walks occasionally. There should be no lifting, bending, standing for long periods of time, and no strenuous activity (including vacuuming!) To be a proper pampered princess, you cannot do any housework other than folding laundry! Otherwise, the Pillow Police may have to make a stop at your house and put you back to bed! Then you can slowly resume more activity, but still nothing strenuous and no lifting (and nothing in the vagina) until your dr clears you at your 6 week check. Your dr will give you specific instructions, but these are guidelines that will help prevent complications from tearing stitches and damaging the newly healing tissues that need a chance to heal without stress.

Even after the initial 6-8 weeks of healing, your body will tire more easily and you will want to slowly ease back into your normal routine. Healing will continue even up to a year. Be nice to your body and give it a chance to heal properly. You only have one chance to recover without complications, like further surgery, which you most likely want to avoid!

s and best wishes to all!
Ruthie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register