Fibroid Tumors | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroid Tumors Fibroid Tumors

Unread 05-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Fibroid Tumors

I am scheduled for TAH on June 24th and wanted you all to know how much this board is helping to calm my fears. You all sound like a terrific bunch. I have been reading the boards for about a week now and havent seen anything about this topic. My uterus is about the size of a 20 week pregnancy. I was wondering how much weight all of you have lost due to removal of the uterus. My doctor said I will probably shrink 2 sizes and boy does that sound good! I'd be thrilled to shrink down one size. Has anyone else noticed their clothes fit better, lose any weight? thanks for your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2002, 12:16 PM
Fibroid Tumors

Welcome aboard.

I had fibroids, but just little ones (about 2 golfballs). So no big reduction in size here, darnit. I have been able to be more active though, since I'm not crampy and wiped out every month. Down 15 pounds so far...

Best of luck to you!
Unread 05-21-2002, 12:29 PM
Fibroid Tumors

Hi!
My uterus was the size of 20 week pregnancy as well. Loaded with huge fibroids. My General Practioner told me last fall it weighed about 10lbs!! When I went in for my OB physical...he said about 2-3 lbs. Well...he was right! It was around 2.5 lbs.
I have lost my bloated belly look but unfortunatly I didn't loose any "fat". I also didn't suffer too bad from the post op swelly belly thank goodness. I do feel "flatter" but have not gone in pants size ...YET!! I feel 100% better having my uterus out of me as it was getting in the way of me riding my bike ( hurt to bend over) and no more HEARTBURN!!
Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2002, 03:52 PM
Fibroid Tumors

My uterus was the apx size of a 16 week pregnancy. My pathology report said I had many, many, many fibroids, and the uterus weighed 180 grams. I was excited thinking that was a lot of weight. I came back to the ground when I converted the grams to ounces (yes, just ounces) 13 to be exact. A normal uterus weighs a little less than 50 grams.

I lost about 10 pounds in the couple of weeks following surgery, because I had no appetite for a while. I've gained some of it back, but I'm still about 5# less that before surgery.
Unread 05-21-2002, 05:50 PM
Fibroid Tumors

I had a fibroid-infested uterus that I was told was about 16-week size. I lost 5.5lbs the night before my surgery from the bowel cleansing (I think the pipes were blocked by the big uterus!). Since my surgery my weight has fluctuated by about 2-3 lbs.

I was totally dissappointed - I thought I'd lose 10lbs or so. I had to change to the easy-fitting version of he same size jeans before surgery and still can't get into the slim version at 8 weeks postop. I'm just starting to workout again, so hopefully things will change soon.

Good luck to you. Whether you lose weight or not, it's a great feeling being rid of the extra baggage!

By the way... prior to my surgery I did 40 minutes of aerobics 3-5 times a day. I had to take two bathroom breaks in the 40 minutes because of the pressure on my bladder. It's nice to be able to complete the 40 minutes without interruption now!
Unread 05-21-2002, 05:56 PM
Fibroid Tumors

I think we are all secretly hoping for that 25lb fibroid!

My largest 'broid measured 27cm long. My uterus was 780 grams.

I lost 8lbs during the surgery! Mostly what I lost was the huge distended abdomen...it went from LARGE to FLAT in 3 1/2 hours. That was the biggest difference...of course the waistlines that didn't fit for many months fit once again. The rest of the "baggage" was my own, and it did begin to come off gradually as I improved my eating habits and began walking more. Just feeling better can make a huge difference in your attitude toward your body....and that can translate into better overall health and healthy habits.

Hope you have the same good outcome!

Karen
Unread 05-21-2002, 06:02 PM
Thanks to all

I was really hoping this extra baggage I'm carrying around weighed at least 7- 8 pounds! It certainly feels like it should. I too have had to go to the expanded version of pants (elastic sides) and would be happy just to fit in the regular jeans that have piled up in my drawers. Last year I was told it was 16 week pregnancy - this year 20 weeks - I figured at this rate I would be full term in 5 more years! So, I've opted to go through with this and I must say I was scared to death at first. Reading everybodies post has really calmed most of my fears. To be honest, I'm not sure what it is I'm scared of. I look forward to being able to ride on the back of my husbands Harley without having to stop every hour to find a bathroom - or worse yet, just having to stay home because I was cramping too much. I just wanted to say I appreciate all the replies and everything else you guys post. It has been a tremendous help to me so far, and I'm glad I found you all.
Unread 05-21-2002, 08:04 PM
Hi Linda

I came home from the hospital 10 pounds lighter (actually down 12 pounds at one point). I also didn't have any solid food for 6 days.
My uterus was the size of a 12 week pregnancy and weighed 350gms. I also had fibroids, cysts and an orange size mass in my uterus.
So yes people were amazed at how much smaller I looked. Even with the swelly belly I was down atleast one size.
I joked with the nurses that if I didn't lose 15 pounds I was coming back to ask for a refund.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register