Keloid Scars | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-21-2002, 04:17 PM
Keloid Scars

Hi Ladies

I'm wondering if anyone else is afflicted with keloid scarring and if you've learned anything that helps them to heal better. Keloids are when your body produces too much of something in the healing process and it makes the scars big and knotted and hard and sore for years!!

Each of my surgeries, the Drs have removed the previous scar and have tried different ways of closing the incision, but none of them have been very successful yet. In my pre-op yesterday, I talked with the Dr for a long time about it and he is going to be very careful at removing excess fat and other underlying tissue that might stretch the healing skin, and then he told me that they would leave the staples in extra long to give the incision more support - which will hopefully help to reduce the keloids.

Other than that, has anyone else heard of or tried anything that helps?

Thanks for any input you have

s

Elaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2002, 05:26 PM
keloids

Hi Elaine, I am ten weeks post. I had a tah/burch sling on old verticle c section scar. My incision is raised, spread out and skin still tender. My family Dr said it was keloids and is sending me to a dermatologist. I used Vit E and even tried solarcaine for the tenderness but that does not seem to help much. I am discouraged about it but still do not regret the surgery for one min.!!!!! Just wish I could get the scar sorted out. Seeing a Dermy here in Nova Scotia could take ages. "hug"s to you and hope there is something they can do for you to prevent this. why this happens to some people and not others is beyond me!!
Love Pam (rainbow on chat)
Unread 05-21-2002, 05:59 PM
Keloid Scars

You might try running a search on keloids using our search engine (little purple button at the top right of each page). I know we have had several threads on this topic.

I have a friend who develops keloids. From what I understand (second-hand, of course) is that there isn't much that can be done to avoid them. Lasering and cutting to remove them can cause even more scarring.

Perhaps speak to a dermatologist before the surgery to see if there is anything you might do. And please let us know what you find out!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2002, 06:58 PM
Keloid Scars

My son's PT used a Cica (sp??) patch over his keloids - its a gooey, gummy thick celaphane looking thing that sticks gently to the skin. His scars look nearly normal now. The PT pronounced it "See Kuh". Might be worth asking about.
Unread 05-21-2002, 08:07 PM
Keloid Scars

Hi elauritz,

Yes I have something to help with keloids. I am a salon owner. I was just at a class in Erie, PA. There is a product line out there called LANGE. There is a panthenol spray. It is pharmaceutical grade the best out there. There is also a cream called EDA- stands for vitamin E,D,A. Right after surgery you spray the panthenol spray on where your stitches are do that every day, a couple times a day. After your staple of stiches come out use the panthenol spray and the EDA cream together and keep using it faithfully. There is panthenol in the cream. What LANGE does is it literally goes in and repair and produces new skin cells.

The lady that taught the class had a brain tumor and had to have surgery. She put the Lange products on where her stiches were. It helped her healling time. She had her stiches out in four day. I saw where her keloids were and they were a faint pink. It was unbelievable. I'm going in for surgery this fall. You can bet I'm using these two items. I will warn you they are on the expensive side. You can only get them in a salon or day spa.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and God Bless

Melissa
Unread 05-22-2002, 04:53 PM
Thank You

Thanks for all the suggestions - I am definately going to check them all out - Since this is the full-monty surgery I'm really, really hoping that it will be the last ever so maybe I can get this incision to heal right!!! You are all s and I really appreciate the help and support.

I missed my hystersisters fix last night before bed because we had a 6 hour power outage and I couldn't stand it!!

Thanks again

Elaine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register