Scheduled dVH/RALH 12/28 is my hysterectomy and I'm terrified! - very depressed. Would appreciate support as I feel alone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12/28 is my hysterectomy and I'm terrified! - very depressed. Would appreciate support as I feel alone 12/28 is my hysterectomy and I'm terrified! - very depressed. Would appreciate support as I feel alone

Unread 12-21-2015, 07:20 AM
12/28 is my hysterectomy and I'm terrified! - very depressed. Would appreciate support as I feel alone

I've been putting off researching and preparing a bit because it got too hard to think about.

I'm afraid there will be complications and I may not wake up.

I need to get everything ready and I'm terrified of it all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Re: 12/28 is my surgery and I'm terrified!

Majka,
I was pretty terrified, too. Having never had any surgery, general anesthesia or hospital stay in my history, I had no idea what to expect so I had dreamt up all kinds of worst-case scenarios. I am now one week post-op and feeling pretty great all things considered. I had a phenomenal doctor and a great anesthesiologist. I remember getting on the OR table and breathing into the mask and then waking up in recovery. Surgery was at 7:30 and I was in a room by 10:30. I was up and walking the next morning and released the morning after that. My biggest issue was having a BM (took until yesterday, 6 days post-op). You'll be fine. Talk to your anesthesiologist about the concerns you have and communicate openly and honestly with your doctor. Be sure to have some of your besties available to visit and cheer you up. That helps, too.
Unread 12-21-2015, 06:57 PM
Re: 12/28 is my surgery and I'm terrified!

Hi my hysterectomy is also scheduled for the 28 th , and like you I'm getting pretty nervous. Had my pre op today and had envisioned two nurses having to carry in the needle and another bringing in a five gallon bucket for my blood draw but , none of that happened. Shoo 😄 try not to worry. Stay in touch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2015, 12:33 PM
12/28 is my hysterectomy and I'm terrified! - very depressed. Would appreciate support as I feel alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majka View Post
I've been putting off researching and preparing a bit because it got too hard to think about.

Hi,
I am 2 days post op, hoping to go home today. I was terrified too before the surgery. The nurses were wonderful and the anaesthetist was too. She came to see me a couple of hrs before the surgery and offered a premed to calm me if i needed it. Strangely at that point I didn't. But got a bit upset when they were wheeling me down. They were all so nice to me and the surgeon came to say hello and reassure me. The next thing I remember is waking up back in my room with my husband and daughter waiting for me. The rest of the day I just slept on and off, I drank a couple of cups of mint tea to help with the gas and had a couple of bites of a sand which. Yesterday I got up and showered and began to drink pear juice ( total 850 ml) throughout the day and to walk regularly. Only little walks and getting in and out of bed was v sore and almost made me stay put, but I knew it was best to start moving. By night time I had had several BM.

It is scary before hand, but like me I am sure you will find once you are there that everyone do their best to support you.
Wishing you well
Unread 12-22-2015, 01:15 PM
Re: 12/28 is my hysterectomy and I'm terrified!

Dear friend,

Please know we understand and can relate to your fears. Surgery is scary and yes, there is always the risk of complication. But I can tell you from my own experience, concentrating on the negative only rises your stress level. You need to find positive ways to cope - I did so by doing things I enjoyed in between running errands and getting ready for the actual surgery. Try surrounding yourself with upbeat and supportive friends - even if you can't be with them
In person, there is email, face time by phone. Treat yourself to a favorite movie, a new book or magazine, do puzzles, wrap gifts - anything that distracts you in a positive way. It really helped keep me on track when I was busy.

Here is a link to an article that may help calm your nerves a bit:

Anxiety Coping Tips

Hugs and strength - you can do this!

We are here to support you.
Unread 12-22-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majka View Post

Hi!
My surgery is scheduled for 12/31. No matter how much I try to focus on Christmas shopping, baking, etc. it isn't enough.

Please know that you are not alone, we will go through this flying colors!!
Unread 12-25-2015, 11:03 AM

Sadly I do not have any friends. It's just my husband, kids, and mom. My kids are too young to know what's going on, my husband is being a selfish jerk, and my mom has never been an emotionally supportive person, she just supports by doing things for you and doesn't talk much.

I feel like I'm going to end up having to drive myself to the hospital and then my mom will just be there to sit uncomfortably waiting for them to discharge me.

I'm physically unable to do a lot of things I still need to get done before the surgery and it's making me ill that I only have 2 days left to get things together.

I feel completely alone even though physically I'm not, and I feel totally unsupported. I wish I had friends but I've never been a very outgoing person so I've never been good at meeting people. I don't spend much time online either and don't even have a Facebook.

This just sucks...
Unread 12-25-2015, 01:50 PM

Please try not to worry. Sometimes our families don't always know how to help us especially if we are the ones always taking care of much of what needs done on a daily basis. My husband just sits on the sofa looking at my strangely like I've grown another head , thanks to his brother telling him " once she has a hysterectomy she's gonna go crazy " this was 3 months ago , I told him he keeps acting like that I might go crazy now !! We will just do the best we can. stay in touch and keep talking to the ladies on this site , you'll get lots of support
Unread 12-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Re: 12/28 is my hysterectomy and I'm terrified! - very depressed. Would appreciate support as I feel alone

Please check out this link:

Helping husband understand hysyerectomy

we are here to support you - please hang in there.
Unread 12-25-2015, 10:13 PM

Thanks, he bought the Mr book here and supposedly read it and some of the info on the site.

I'm not convinced it's the surgery that's the problem for him.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register