hair falling out? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hair falling out? hair falling out?

Unread 05-22-2002, 04:01 PM
hair falling out?

I'd like to know if any of you have had a problem with your hair falling out? Mine has fallen out for 2 years now... thankfully, it keeps growing back in nearly as fast as it falls out so I don't have any baldness or thinness (started to for awhile),... we thought it was due to my Graves Disease, but that got corrected a LONG time ago, and my hair has continued to fall out rapidly.... i get handfuls of loose hair out of my hair daily,.. every time I wash my hair I clog the drain, and DH has to take it apart and unclog it. I read somewhere that female hormonal problems and whatnot can cause this too so perhaps when it was worse during my Graves Disease it was worse because it was also all these female problems too? But, it's never really lessened up much........ can anyone relate to this? Does it stop after the surgery, I hope? Thankfully I have extrememly thick hair, otherwsie who knows what I'd look like, ROFL,.......... but, seriously, can anyone relate to this? Anyone else experience this?
And while I'm on the subject of hair,.... mine is below shoulder length and being that it is so thick, it's alot of work to wash, dry, maintain,..... I'm wondering has anyone else cut their hair shorter prior to surgery in order to lessen the agony of maintenance? I'm thinking of a layered shoulder/chin length bob type style,.. cute, still feminine, but easy care........ anybody else think of this or do this? I'm silly this way........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2002, 04:27 PM
hair falling out?

Hi,

My hair is very fine and my hairdresser told me after my surgery that she had been very worried about me because my hair was falling out. About 4 months after surgery she was really pleased that my hair had grown back (and she told me so) she wasn't brave enough to tell me before.

I don't know if it's normal but it happened to me.

Hopefully yours will go back to normal.

Jx
Unread 05-22-2002, 04:33 PM
Hi Tahnee,

I've been having a problem with my hair falling out for about a year. I dyed my hair for a job interview, but switched brands and it came out red, instead of the dark auburn I was going for. I tried to fix it by redying it immediately and then again the next day. Didn't work. I showed up at my interview a red head!

Anyway, since then, my hair has fallen out by the handfuls. Like you, when I wash my hair, there's enough left in the drain to make a wig. And I can scoop up handfuls off the bathroom floor after I comb it, not to mention what's in the comb.

But luckily, my hair is very thick and grows very quickly, so though after the horrid red dye episode, it thinned out a lot, it's pretty full now.

I toyed with the idea of getting my hair cut to shoulder length, but decided on just a trim to an inch below shoulder length. I don't have the guts to go any shorter than that.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2002, 05:30 PM
hair falling out?

Hi sisters! I am a hairdresser. I'm sorry your hair is falling out. That is a terrible experience. I just want you to know that cutting your hair and layering will not stop it from falling out. I want you to know you will not go bald.
Sometimes the chemicals in your body change from the medicine.
Alot of times your hair will fall out just from the Meds. It could also be hormonal. Every seven years you will notice a change in your hair because of hormones. I would talk to your doctor a little more. Have him do some bloodwork on you. (by the way my mother thought she had a thyroid problem because her hair was thinning out terribly. She didn't have much to start with. The doctor tested her she had Diabetes.) I'm not saying you have Diabetes. I would look elsewhere.

good luck!!

Melissa
Unread 05-22-2002, 08:25 PM
anemia??

hi
wow can i relate, for almost 2 years i too have a thick head of long hair. It was falling out in handfuls , then let up a bit when i cut it so not as much weight. whenever i went to dr i would ask about my thyroid and all checked out ok etc,
Ok enter a year with heavy bleeding getting worse and worse. i went in to the dr for something else and mentioned i wondered if my thyroid could be messed up as it runs in the family with my dad etc. I complained how absolutely wiped out i have been as i did to my gyn and my internal med doc. I mean whenever i wasnt working if i could i would sleep ALL day. Major fatigue and i happened ot mention my hair falling out.
THAT somehow was a clue to her to see if i was anemic. i had a call back the next day . She was shocked.. i was SO severely anemic and had NO iron storage or binding capacity so she immed put me on iron supplements 3 times a day 325 mg. in days i began feeling better i think and in weeks i did notice my hair wasnt falling out as much. I continued to bleeed the entire next month and severely and that had alot to do with my gyn saying it was TIME to do a hyst.
NO one put it together til i mentioned my hair falling out and sighs it was so thick and nice. Well i had so much that few else would notice but i sure did.
Ok in 3 monts i ended up with iron levels normal at least prior to the surgery. After surgery 6 weeks ago i stopped the iron.. bad girl i know but the constipation post op gave me such intense bowel pains i couldnt bear adding to it with MORE constipation. but several weeks ago i noticed losing my hair again// not quite as bad but i am also tired too . I cant tell of the tired is partly due to recovery or what but i saw my doc a few days ago and she emphasixed how important taking the iron is still! my stores of it might have depleted from the surgery and blood loss then. duh but here we go again. IF u havent had your iron checked PLEasE ask to be tested as severe hair loss is often related to thyroid problems or anemia. I am sure hormones have an effect too but i know for ME it was/is anemia.... Dont take iron supplements however as they can be toxic if u arent anemic and need to be under a doctors guidance. good luck and hope this helps someone
jandrie
Unread 05-22-2002, 08:31 PM
hair falling out?

Nioxin! Nioxin! Nioxin! My hair is falling out because of a treatment I'm on- it was suggested I try these hair care products and they work. You can get them from hairdressers or beauty supply.

They are actually made for pregnancy related hair loss, so I assume that hormonal changes wreak havok with your hair. Nioxin!
Unread 05-22-2002, 08:43 PM
Re: Hair falling out...

I have a problem with that as well. I recently had all my hair cut off - it's about 3 inches long now on top and it was down below my shoulders! I did this for two reasons. One, I was tired of it clogging up the drain and second because I suspected that the weight of it was contributing to my migraines (which it seems to have been). It still falls out some now, but not as much. When it was long though, I would wash it in the morning and have a handful of hair - every morning! (I never developed bald spots, though.) I have noticed over the years, however that when my endo is bad, the falling out of my hair is worse. I had a lap 2 years ago and my Dr. did a really good job of "cleaning me out." For the next six months or so, there wasn't nearly as much hair that came out daily. When the endo grew back and started getting bad again, my hair started falling out worse. I don't know what causes it. I've heard that endo tissue creates is own estrogen (???) and if that is true, then maybe the overload of the hormones in the body has something to do with it. Either way, I'm happier with it short and that hyst can't get here soon enough!

There's my $.02 worth...

Good luck on deciding whether to get it cut!

Gillian
Unread 05-22-2002, 09:08 PM
OK this is wierd.....

I think I put a post about this a few weeks ago, but my hair started to fall out just after my dd was born (2.5 yrs ago) and It never stopped! My hair never grew back in; it is thin, fine, and doesn't grow fast. I have a "bald spot" in the back that looks like a huge extension of my part. I have to get it layered so that it rats up and I can comb over it to hide it.

I was hoping that post-op my hair would normalize and quit falling out in handfuls. Ugh! :hair: I wonder if having regular doses of hormones will help it grow in and stay in. Any thoughts???

Thanks for the Nioxin idea!!! I will try it and report back! Thanks you guys!
Unread 05-22-2002, 09:18 PM
on my soapbox

ladies
i just posted about anemia being a possible cause for women losing massive amounts of hair. I can't emphasive how serious anemia can BE. As a baby i was very anemic so i have heard this all my life and figured ok, low iron, common, big deal .... BUT if u are anemic and it gets severe it can be very very serious leading to the need for blood transfusions, heart attacks. racing heart, messing up organs, serious fatigue... worse case fatal.
So while it sounds trite PLEASe make sure u find out medical reasons for your hair loss first, as with women anemia is not uncommon, especially if you have menstrual problems like most of us have or had on this site. Rather than making assumptions please have it checked and make sure it isnt due to medical reasons which need to be treated prior to external means. ok off my soapbox now lol
jandrie
Unread 05-22-2002, 09:21 PM
hair falling out?

HI all
I too am a hairdresser and want to tell you something about Nioxin. I took a class in this product. Although they themselves teach that with woman hair loss is hormonal and not a mite that lives on the surface of the scalp (as hair loss for men...... well 90 percent of men). I have seen wonderful results wiith it...... on my self and clients.
For get the "scalp treatment" that is for men.
Just get the shampoo (either for color treated hair or regular hair) and the "strength and structure" conditioner.

I dont really like the way it makes my hair feel, so I would use it everyother time...... when I felt I needed it.

Very interesting point about hair loss and being anemic. I think for me that matches my pattern of anemia too.

Since surgery (3 week post op) my hair is thicker. And I am not on hormones......... it is weird to me, but I am not anemic anymore either........ who knows!

I have long hair........ and it was a drag recovering ... I just washed and dryed it and back up in a scrunchy band. Keeping it down it got all knotted from "bed head"..

best wishes
xo DonnaFay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register