hair falling out? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hair falling out? hair falling out?

Unread 05-23-2002, 05:44 AM
hair falling out?

Your story sounds exactly like my own. I am severly anemic and am currently taking iron supplements. I saw my doctor for one of my appointments and just casually mentioned the hairloss and he said it was indeed due to the anemia. Until my TVH which is on June 18th, I will continue to loose hair. The iron supplements aren't bringing up my levels and I am loosing way too much blood. Before I spoke with him, I just thought I was going nuts and had no idea that one thing had to do with another. My finger nails are also very brittle and curl because of the lack of iron. Talk to your doctor about it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2002, 06:55 AM
hair falling out?

Lisa Ba,
There was a post awhile ago about how to help body absorb iron better. There were a lot of good ideas ....... you might want to do a search to fimd the post.
I was told (and did this) to take a swig of pickle juice when taking iron and my blood count went up quickly.
Since there are so many posts with the word anemic in them, try searching for "pickle juice" I know I wrote about that (in the post), so those words will get you to the post I am referring to.

I am so amaze no doctor has mentioned anemia and hair loss...... and they did thyroid testing for the hair loss........ thyroid was fine.

take care
DonnaFay
Unread 05-23-2002, 08:45 AM
I'm a chronic drain-clogger,.. sniffle, LOL

Originally, we thought mine WAS due to my thyroid because I had grave's Disease (hyperthyroidism) 2 years ago, but after doing the RadioIodine and dissolving my thyroid entirely, it didn't stop. After I finally hit zero, then went hypo, and went on Synthroid,.. my hair still hasn't stopped falling out. Good thing my hair is so thick or I'd be in trouble. I've come to the conclusion that is indeed hormonal, but I do also suspect anemia, as I have gotten severely anemic so many times with my cycles, and I'm not good about eating iron rich foods... I had my initial pre-op consult yesterday (and find out my surgery date sometime today!), and he asked me when the last time I had labs to check for anemia... I can't remember!! Anyway, we're going to be checking that, but I have a feeling that won't solve the problem entirely because I stated before,... I think it's a combination of anemia & hormones. Hopefully, after the surgery things will get better in that dept. Oh, and I saw it mentioned that cutting your hair won't stop it from falling out, but that wasn't what we were saying before, LOL. The question in that portion had been on how mnay women decided to go shorter so tht their hair wasn't so long during recovery,.. so it wasn't such a pain to maintain during recovery, that is.
Donna, I see you said you just pulled your hair up in a scrunchie,... I do that all the time as it is, and wonder why I even bother keeping it long, but yet, I'm afraid if I go shorter again I'll end up regretting so still contemplating,.. I just want it to be easier & less fuss,.. one les thing to worry about during recovery,.. if you had it to do over,.. do you think you would've cut it, or still done the scrunchie? I still have a few weeks to decide, they are planning my surgery for the end of June sometime, and I'll find out later today the exact date, but this is something I need to start thinking about,........ besides, I have 3 little girls,.. I don't have time for long hair anymore!!
LOL
Good thoughts, girls, on the thyroid, anemia, diabetes, and so forh,.. I also want to say too, that often your Dr. will refer you to a dermatologist when your hair falls out, and rarely it has been found that some people even have Leukemia, and other forms of illness that are causing the hair loss so I just want everyone to stay heads up on what's happening to their bodies.
Much love to you all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2002, 09:04 AM
amazing isn't it?

hi
those of us that have found out we were or are anemic all seem to be saying similar things. What truly amazes ME is that our gyns don't routinely check for anemia!! I am also a bit surprised our regular docs don;t. With my annual physicals my internal doc does routine bloodwork cholesterol and overall counts, but the checking for iron stores etc are 3 specific tests . So a heads up to ASK to have it checked to see if you might be anemic seems wise as they dont even bother til pre op. for some, diet might help but for the slow gradual decline many of us seemed to have experienced, who would have suspected? Seems logical that all menstruating women would be checked!! I have a feeling my internal med doc was SO shocked at my low levels that she might consider testing others more frequently. My gyn doc said i obviously had a very high tolerance as i was at a level that many would have required transfusions!! She indicated for surgery that my tolerance was high so as not to rush into the need for transfusion but it scared the blazes out of me.
Iron supplements when prescribed are best absorbed with vitamin c . i take mine with orange juice or an orange now that i started again, but boy they wreak havoc with my bowels!

having long hair and surgery didnt pose any problems for me, I use scrunchies alot anyhow but make sure i dont use them too tight to pull out MORE hair. I showered normally post op and i blew my hair dry partially. I never have had the patience to pamper it and its naturally wavy so often i let it air dry. Shorter hair might be easier for some but not like you will be doing alot anyhow aside from laying around the house .... so will u really need to fuss other than washing it???

jandrie
Unread 05-23-2002, 09:08 AM
hair falling out?

Tahnee,
For me, if I had it to do over I would NOT cut my hair.
I like long hair. It is easier for me.

Besides.......... short hair + bed head = "exotic bird look"..

Only kidding to those with short hair.......
No offense intended.

I would rather have it up in scrunchie than style it, lay back down and have back all smashed flat again. to me that seems like more work.

I go for the easiest route when it comes to my hair.......... I do everyone elses hair all day......... the last thing I want to do is fuss on my own.

take care
DonnaFay
Unread 05-23-2002, 09:18 AM
too funny...

Thanks,... exotic birds??? TOO FUNNY,.. think I'll stick my scrunchies too!

And too true, on the not fussing with it during recovery anyway,... besides, even if I trimmed it shorter some, I'd still pull it back in a scrunchie, I'm sure! It's habit for me, anyway... I don't usually like it on the back of my neck unless I'm dressing up and want my hair down for 'pretty', and if I cut it, the first time I wanted to do that and couldn't I'd bawl..... thanks for helping me decide, girls,.. I knew I could count on you to help me reason with myself! I rarely do anything with it when I'm running around being mommy so why did I think it would be any different when I'm layed up after surgery? LOL It's that brain fog thing again.......................
Unread 05-23-2002, 11:13 AM
hair falling out?

Anemic going into surgery sounds very bad- my doc put me on Epogen to get my red blood count up, and it helped alot. Before that, I felt like I had wet sand bags strapped to my body!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register