Question about BM in the Castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about BM in the Castle Question about BM in the Castle

Unread 05-22-2002, 05:15 PM
Question about BM in the Castle

Help. I have been constipated for about 3 weeks. I thought it was because of the antibiotics I was on for an infection but I have been off of them for a couple of weeks and I'm still constipated. It's so bad that I have to take a laxative and stool softener every day or I can't go. Another thing, this is totally weird but I NEVER could go to the bathroom anywhere but at home. That has been forever. Well, if I can't go in the hospital, will they make me stay until I can which will be never?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2002, 05:41 PM
Hi Jackie

Have you talked with your DR about this? Could be you just need more fiber. I have IBS and before I started taking fibercon pills each day I was really bad to not go but now I am regular. even though sometimes I do get stopped up but not like I use too. You need to talk with your DR and see what they suggest you do about the situtation. God's Blessings.

Unread 05-22-2002, 05:53 PM
Do you take alot of narcotics?...M

One of the side effects of narcotics is constipation. That could be one cause. I don't know what the policy is for a hysterectomy and a BM but when I had my C-section I wasn't allowed solid food until I passed gas! I went the whole 4 days on liquids only!! They finally had to give me a suppository. I then got to eat breakfast before going home. Adding more fiber to your diet could help, but talk to your doctor and let him know your situation. He may be able to bend the rules if he knows this is a chronic problem for you.

Pamela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2002, 06:19 PM
Fiber

Thanks for getting back to me. No I don't take narcotics. What would they be?

I realize I should take in more fiber but when I do, I get very very gassy and my stomach blows up.

Strange things happen to me!
Unread 05-22-2002, 06:40 PM

Ji Jackie

I didn't have to have a BM before I could go home (good thing too, I'm like you, there's no place like home) but I did have to pass gas. My surgery was on Tues, Thurs AM they gave me a suppository cause I hadn't passed any yet. It helped.

Definitely talk to your DR about your concerns.

Do you drink OJ? I was drinking 2 glasses a day while I was taking an iron prescription, and it helped a lot. I was a lot more regular than I've ever been.

Narcotics are heavy duty pain meds, like Percocet or Codeine.
Unread 05-23-2002, 05:34 AM
Mary Lou

Thanks for reassuring me that I won't be in the castle forever because of my problem.

No I'm not on any narcotic pain meds. Maybe after this surgery, but not now. By the way, I bought a big bottle of prune juice for my recovery period.

Best of luck to you in your recovery.
Unread 05-23-2002, 07:13 AM
castle

I also have same problem. They didn't make me go before I went home either. I had to be able to go pee though. I drink Citrucel twice a day. Its a life saver. Don't buy generic brand!!! The Citrucel does not cause gas. Where as the Metimucil did and the generic brand also did...that is no fun)-: Try it and see if it helps. It changed my life(-: Best wishes to you. You will be just fine(-:
Cindee TVH 5-8-02 kept ovaries
Unread 05-23-2002, 07:57 AM

I have the same problem. I can't even pee with someone around. They did not make me BM but I did have to pass gas before solid food. As soon as I got back to my room I was given Doxidan and told to take 1 daily. I am still doing so because I am taking the pain meds at night. No problems so far.
Best wishes.
Unread 05-23-2002, 08:32 AM
Hot liquids

My Dr didn't make me have a BM before I left. I was passing gas though. I finally got to eat a solid breakfast. Try drinking a hot liquid and then follow it by a cold liquid. I prefer General Mills International Coffee (French Vanilla). Works everytime.

Good Luck.

Amanda TAH/BSO 1 week and 1 day postop

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register