Did any Of you have any symptoms?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did any Of you have any symptoms?? Did any Of you have any symptoms??

Unread 05-22-2002, 07:36 PM
Did any Of you have any symptoms??

Hi girls,
I have been sitting here reading all the posts, totally dumbfounded as to the courage all you gals show. But tell me truthfully...did any of you have any idea that you were carrying a cancer around with you? It seems to me that all the discoveries are mostly surprises--pretty darned nasty ones at that..but no one felt terribly ill for years or had odd symptoms,apart from bleeding and bloating, they now can say attribute to the dreaded C?? I guess i am just trying to find someone out there who has beeen down My path, so I can say--hey thats what I have, or could have!! Take care all of you. If MEN had to do this they would be in a mental institution by now.GilrPower certainly needs to be recognised!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2002, 07:47 PM

HI THERE,
NOPE, I CAN'T SAY I HAD ANYTHING OTHER THAN A BROWNISH
HEAVY DISCHARGE THAT LOOKED TO ME LIKE OLD BLOOD.

IT WOULD'NT STOP SO I FINALLY SAW A GYNE.
SHE DID A PAP, IT CAME BACK ABNORMAL, DID A D & C AND FOUND
ENDOMETRIAL CANCER.

WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOUR SYMPTOMS, IF ANY??
Unread 05-22-2002, 08:00 PM

s Goodgal

I don't know what your symptoms are, but please see your doctor if there is anything unusual going on. Hopefully your doc will put your fears to rest.
I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and in hindsight I did have vague symptoms for almost a year before I was diagnosed.
I hope you stop back and let us know how you are.

karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2002, 03:32 AM

Hi Goodgal,

I too had my hyster for endo cancer and I believe that I may well have had it for some time. I had a D&C in 1994 because of constant bleeding in the 2 weeks leading up to my period. I was clear of cancer then, but was told I had hyperplasia (overgrowth of the lining of the womb) and that the D&C could clear it, but that it could well come back. (I have since learnt that some kinds of hyperplasia can lead on to cancer, but was never told this, or what kind of hyperplasia I had)

Some time in 1995 or 96, I lost a tiny bit of blood in mucous and thought: 'Oh no, the hyperplasia is coming back', but I had no further problem at that time. From then on I would have this happen to me very occasionally, months and months apart - just a tiny bit of blood in mucous on the toilet paper when I wiped myself. Every time I thought it was just the hyperplasia coming back.

I mistakenly thought that I was well-informed about health matters! But I believed that, if the bleeding had been for any serious problem then it would have got steadily worse and not gone away completely for months at a time. It was only because I had a smear test in June 2001 and bled a lot after it that I went to see my doctor to get checked out. Even then, I really wasn't at all worried and in fact cancelled 2 hospital appointments before finally being seen in January this year!

Looking back, I had been pretty tired for the past few years but had absolutely no idea that this cancer was growing inside me. I sometimes wonder exactly when it started - was there one particular moment when the cells suddenly decided they were going to rebel and go out of control? What was I doing on that day? How did I feel? I guess I'll never know!

One thing I do know is that I was very lucky - my cancer hadn't spread and I didn't need any further treatment other than the hyster!

Goodgal, I hope your hyster to deal with your fibroids and ovarian cyst goes really well and that you find that you are completely clear of the dreaded 'Big C'.

Unread 05-23-2002, 03:59 AM

Goodgal, I had no clue I had cancer inside me. I had heavy bleeding with large clots. I went to a new DR. (old one moved)and he scraped the uterus and sent it away, and lo and behold, the shock of my life Cancer! I was lucky in that it had just started and the radical hys. was all I needed. I don't know what kind of symptoms you are dealing with, but I'm sure someone has had something similar. Take Care,
Unread 05-23-2002, 04:43 AM

Hi Goodgal,

The only symptom I had has a little spotting now and then. I was post menopausal so didn't have periods anymore. The strange thing is I had a normal pap test. The doctor said I needed estrogen which made the bleeding worse. I went to a well known highly recommended gyn who diagnosed stage IV cervical cancer. It was only three months between the pap test and cancer diagnosis. I'll never understand how this happened as long as I live. Even if you have no symptoms if you haven't been to the doctor in a while, go immediately! And go to a good doctor - not walk-in clinics which I think was my mistake. Best of luck to you - I hope everything is OK. Take care.
Unread 05-23-2002, 06:35 AM

Hi goodgal, welcome to cancer concerns.

I , like the rest , had no symptoms at all.

It is frightening to know that you have cancer but somehow you do get through it. With a little help from the gals here We are here for you always . Love and hugs xxx

* If men had gyn. cancer there would be a cure *
Unread 05-23-2002, 07:58 AM
I had what I thought was diverticulitis

I don't eat right, never have, never will probably. But I thought I had bad diverticulitis. A coworker had a history, and this was just what hers was like. Finally the pain got so bad I couldn't stand to get up from a chair or out of bed. It began off and on, worse when I ate nuts, etc. Would clear up, come back, but finally was consistent. Went to my doctor who poked and hit on the right ovary. I think I levitated off the table and when I could breathe again, I said, "that's it!" He ordered the transvaginal ultrasound and the rest is history. I also was having what I thought was a problem with the HRT. I'd had that about two years earlier, same thing. A TVU at that time was clear. I did need a change in HRT and all was well. Then I was in the hospital via the ER for four days with bacterial gastroenteritis and the day I went in the period should've started--a touch of spotting, nothing. It took about six months to straighten out, which I assumed was the aftermath of that episode, then went back awry. I had an appt. with a GYN (not the one who did surgery) to followup on the HRT problem and it was the day after the TVU and he had preliminary results... There is very little cancer in my family on both sides----no gynecological and only one breast cancer--tons of heart disease. Never thought of this.
Unread 05-23-2002, 11:20 AM

I too did not have any symptoms. I had, had heavy bleeding, clotting anemia etc., that was probably due to fibroids.
When I started periods that would not stop and then a clear discharge the doc biopsied it right away. I think the endometrial cancer had just started.
The cervical carcinoma in situ did not show up until after the surery and I had, had a normal pap at the same time as the biopsy.
The vulva cancer was caught by the first surgeon I went to to schedule the hysterectomy. I did have a little white spot there that sometimes got itchy. I think it had been there a long time and no other doctor noticed it or biopsies it even during annual exams and paps! Fortunately it was in situ also.
But I was taking alot of Iron and vitamins right up til my surgery and felt really good.
I had been healthy my whole life so was sure nothing was wrong down there.
This all just underscores the importance of good thorough exams and being your own advocate if something doesn't seem right. And not being in denial that it can happen to us.
Unread 05-23-2002, 01:33 PM

I had no symptoms at all, although in retrospect I did have a very slight discharge that I initially thought was a yeast infection...maybe it was and maybe it wasn't!! I went for routine pap smear, found to have high grade dysplasia, had a colposcopy with biopsies and pathologist recommended a cone biopsy, which confirmed the diagnosis of invasive cervical cancer. Had my radical hysterectomy 7 weeks ago.

What symptoms, if any do you have? What has your doctor said?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register