Did any Of you have any symptoms?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did any Of you have any symptoms?? Did any Of you have any symptoms??

Unread 05-23-2002, 10:19 PM
Did any Of you have any symptoms??

Like most sisters, I didn't have any ongoing symptoms. One day at work I suddenly had pelvic pain that didn't go away. I was unable to sit down, so one of my co workers took me to my internist. He sent me to a gyn who did the transvaginal ultrasound. There they found both ovaries to be enlarged and ultimately malignant.
The gyn said that it was unusual to have the symptoms I had early in the disease (it was found at stage 1) and that if it had gone on for 3 more months it would have have spread and been much more difficult to treat.
I credit my ovarian angels (2 girlfriends who died of ovarian cancer) for my warning signs.
If you have any funny feelings about your body, anything at all, go check it out. Be persistent. Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 08:57 AM
No signs

No warning signs for me either. I went in for a pap to get 6 more months of birth control pills before my new husband and I started trying for a baby. We had been married six weeks before I got the "terribly bad pap" call. I had a D&C a few weeks later and found out I had a rare form of uterine cancer. Which is weird because paps don't usually catch that form of cancer. I was lucky in that respect. My cancer is in the muscles of my uterus.
It sounds like none of us knew we had a silent killer in our bodies.
Monica
Unread 05-24-2002, 01:31 PM

Yes. I knew.

I had cervical cancer stage 1b (when they found it). I had a slight bloated feeling, not real noticable, kind of like PMS. I had vaginal odor that would not go away no matter how often I washed or douched. I had pain during sex that was always in the same location and felt like tearing inside my vagina. I had bleeding during sex that gradually built up to each and every time. I had not had a pap smear in 4-5 years.

I am very much in touch with my body's energy and in tune to the earth. I try to listen to my intuition no matter how crazy it may seem. I meditate and ask God for insite. I remember one day being in the shower, and as my hand was washing around my abdomine, the word "cancer" popped itself into my head. It was very much an intuition, although at the time I did not pay it much attention. Denial is a powerful thing! The word "cancer" came into my head a few times after that, but it was that particular incident that was strongest. It was still a few weeks before I had to give in to the fact that all of my efforts to take care of the problem was not helping. Then one day during foreplay, my boyfriend at the time noticed that something was not right inside of me. He said it felt as if there was something else in there. (sorry if that's too much information, but that's when I knew I needed to get checked) So I went for a pap smear, then was sent for a coloscopy, then got a call that the doctor needed to see me sooner than the appointment that we had scheduled in two weeks to go over the results. The doctor's going out of town my foot! I knew right then that something was wrong. When he told me I had cancer, it did not surprise me. Mind you, this did not make it ANY easier to hear! After my hyst, I knew it was gone. I could feel it removed and even had a dream about a week before my hyst in which I was post-op and cancer free! Because the path report showed it had spread into the lymphatic vessel, we chose to do radiation. I still feel that the surgery removed it all, but I saw no reason not to do the radiation to double my chances of staying cancer free. It did throw me into menopause, but chances are that I would have had to deal with that in a few years anyway, since often (not always) the ovaries will shut down within 5 years of a hyst.

So anyway, I hope that helps you. You hear about 'woman's intuition' often enough, but I know not everyone takes it too seriously. I usually only recognise it after the fact, but once in a while am lucky enough to recognise it as an insite to future events. You're not crazy or paranoid. You know yourself better than anyone, so listen. One of the sisters here even has in her signature that ovarian cancer "whispers, so listen". I don't know if you got to see the recent movie about Gilda Radner, but I found it interesting that after she went through many doctors, asking again and again if it was cancer, when she finally got the diagnosis, you saw a close up of her lips, whispering "cancer...cancer". That is exactly how I'd describe it, like a whisper. You did not say whether you had had cancer or if this was a present concern. Please let me know and I pray for your and all the sisters' health!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 09:11 PM

Hi Goodgal!

Its kind of hard looking back trying to figure out if anything I had experienced prior to my surgery finding the cancer might have clued me in.

I have always had irregular periods so while I had them prior, they wouldn't have necessarily given me any forwarning. I also had had irregular bowel movements prior so again, not anything that would have worried me. I had a pretty severe kidney infection a couple of years prior to finding all this out and from that point on, had problems with "urgency" so didn't recognize this as any clue either.

I feel very lucky that mine was caught when it was, I don't like to even think what might have happened if I hadn't requested some blood work be done given my families history.

I hope that if you are having any symptoms that are worrying you, go see your Dr and have them take a look. If you are still worried after that, get another opinion.

I wish you the best and hope that all turns out okay for you.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 05-25-2002, 06:45 AM

hi all, just checked back to read all the lovely replies, it must be difficult for some of you to try to remember. My symptoms??--well i have been unwell for a year now but im not sure it is all related to my enlarged uterus and the fibroid,although now that i have been diagnosed, i definitely know the bloating, the back ache and perhaps even the leg numbness may be related. Im not sure about hormone levels--like--what comes first ...the chicken or the egg..... do the hormones go wonky first and then you get all the trouble or you get the trouble and then the hormones just go off the deap end and stay that way until you get balanced out atgain??
I was pretty worried about the "follicular cyst"on my ovary but that seems to not be such a worry and normal???
And im also realy curious as to the waiting time you girls had in between finding out you had a problem and getting surgery. I have now known for about a month but I am still in the process of finding a good Gyno AND a good hospital to get even my hysteroscopy done. It is important because i may have to get other surgery (perhaps gallbladder, perhaps something more serious)) done as well, but my poor old head is going nuts trying to figure out priorities and the horrible C word is making me a bit stressed.Does anyone have any idea how slow you can take this?
Unread 05-25-2002, 09:08 AM

Hi again, Goodgal!
I'm a bit confused... Are they looking for cancer in you or have you been diagnosed?? As far as how long to wait, that depends on the type of cancer, where it is, etc. As for me, I was fortunate that since the uterine wall is so thick and strong, it took longer to grow. But don't wait!!! Each cancer behaves differently. If cancer meant the same thing every time, it would be easier for doctors to diagnose and to find a cure. The fact is that there are many different types that behave in many different ways. The only thing they all have in common is the abnormal growth of cells. If you suspect that it could be cancer, tell your doctor! If s/he tells you you're being paranoid, find a different doctor. I mean, really! What does it hurt to run the tests, do the scans or whatever to find out? If the tests come clean, your doctor can say, "I told you so" and you can have the peace of mind. Sounds like a fair trade to me!
Unread 05-25-2002, 12:29 PM

s Goodgal

Different gyn cancers grow at different rates and opinions vary. My ovarian cancer was found by ultrasound, a very large tumor on each ovary. I then had a complete blood count done and my platelets were dangerously high. My surgery was delayed for seven weeks while they investigated the cause of the high platelets. When my surgery was finally performed, I had one lymph node involved. All other pathology was normal. This made me stage IIIc. Sometimes I have wondered if I may have been an earlier stage had the surgery been done sooner. I'll never know. But I do know I could have had a stroke had they done the surgery with my platelets so out of control.
So you have been trying to decide what to do for a month. It seems to me like it is time to make a decision! I hope you are seeing a gyn oncology surgeon. Having surgery with the proper surgeon is the first part of hopefully being cured and staged properly. If your gallbladder needs to come out at the same time perhaps they could have a general surgeon standing by.
Best wishes. Let us know what you decide.

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register