Scheduled LSH Upcoming surgery 1/12: I am confused (for any nurses..how long did you wait to go back to work after hysterctomy?) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming surgery 1/12: I am confused (for any nurses..how long did you wait to go back to work after hysterctomy?) Upcoming surgery 1/12: I am confused (for any nurses..how long did you wait to go back to work after hysterctomy?)

Unread 01-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Upcoming surgery 1/12: I am confused (for any nurses..how long did you wait to go back to work after hysterctomy?)

Hello everyone. I have been in denial about this for a long time and now I have less than a week to prepare. My laparoscopic hysterectomy is scheduled for January 12th. My I am keeping my ovaries and cervix. I see some of the recovery stories and the recovery seems to vary widely for this same surgery. The scary part is that I am a nurse but don't work at all in women's health. What should I plan as being the typical or average recovery without complications? My doctor says I will be back at work in 3 weeks. I work 12 hour shifts 3 days in a row. Any other nurses go back to work after 3 weeks? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Re: I am confused.

Hi HeatherMcP to HysterSisters!

Recovery is different for everyone. But from the posts I have for nurses, many of them took 6 or 8 weeks off. You will be very tired, even at 3 weeks. I had a TAH BSO, and I did go back to a moderate stress desk job after 3 weeks, but could only handle part time work for another 4 weeks. After that, I went back full time (8 hours, 5 days), but could not do any OT.

We do have lots of ladies on this site. Hopefully a nurse or one with similar profession will see this post and respond.

Unread 01-06-2016, 09:24 PM
Re: I am confused (for any nurses..how long did you wait to go back to work?)

I had a TAH so it may be different for laparoscopic, but I waited 8 weeks and just went back to work New Year's Eve. Originally I thought 6 weeks but I did not feel ready at 6 weeks. In nursing for the most part there is no half shift option or option to rest during the shift. You have to be ready to go full speed upon your return. My first night back was exactly what I had feared as far as busyness and dealing with heavy equipment (I am a charge nurse in nicu and those high tech baby beds are heavy to push back from the delivery room). This confirmed it was the right thing to do to wait those 2 weeks. I would suggest if you have the time, overestimate what you need. It's much harder to try to get that extra time added to your sick leave later. You could always go back earlier if you are feeling stellar. I can tell you that at 9 weeks now I still have pains, swelling, tenderness, heaviness. By the end of 12 hours I feel like my innards are collapsing but I am surviving it. Like I said, might be different for laparoscopic but seems like still a big surgery with major organs removed. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-07-2016, 01:09 AM
Upcoming surgery 1/12: I am confused (for any nurses..how long did you wait to go back to work after hysterctomy?)

I'm a nurse in a rehab unit. My GYN won't even consider me going back to work until the 6 week mark as I have to be able to push a 30lb medicine cart and I work 16 hour shifts. I'm 3 weeks post op and feel I'm ready to go back. I guess Dr's know best tho. Take your time, everyone is different. I'm just used to being on the go all the time, so being off work has been a challenge for me. Good luck!
Unread 01-07-2016, 05:07 PM
Re: I am confused (for any nurses..how long did you wait to go back to work after hysterctomy?)

I am a surgical nurse. I have not had my operation yet, but have taken a leave of absence for at least 6.5 weeks off. My hospital has a job description that I must meet (including lifting 25-50lbs) before I can be cleared by my doctor and our occupational health department to return to work. No matter what kind of hysterectomy you have I cannot imagine a nurse returning after just two weeks if you work in a hospital.
Unread 01-07-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherMcP View Post
Hello everyone. I have been in denial about this for a long time and now I have less than a week to prepare. My laparoscopic hysterectomy is scheduled for January 12th. My I am keeping my ovaries and cervix. I see some of the recovery stories and the recovery seems to vary widely for this same surgery. The scary part is that I am a nurse but don't work at all in women's health. What should I plan as being the typical or average recovery without complications? My doctor says I will be back at work in 3 weeks. I work 12 hour shifts 3 days in a row. Any other nurses go back to work after 3 weeks? Thanks in advance.
P
I'm an OT and work at a hospital. I had the DaVinci but they did take everything but my ovaries, so you keeping your cervix makes a big difference. That being said, I'm at 4-1/2 weeks but there is no freaking way I could go back to work at 3 weeks.... I'm looking at 6 and then will likely be 1/2 days or every other day to ease back into my only 6-7 hour shifts! Everybody is different but I can honestly say I severely underestimated this MAJOR surgey. It's not typically the incisions that seem to matter it's the internal changes that hurt. Good luck to you.
Unread 01-07-2016, 10:38 PM
Re: I am confused (for any nurses..how long did you wait to go back to work after hysterctomy?)

I had 6 weeks. Nursing is very stressful and busy, on your feet the whole time often physically heavy work too.
You will likely need that long for recovery.
Unread 01-08-2016, 04:59 AM

Heather, I am a nurse and took 6 weeks.
Reason is that as a nurse, unless you work with newborns that do not weigh anything, you will have to lift, push, pull. There is a lot of on your feet and not much sitting.
If you have a regular floor job and can take more than 3 weeks FMLA you may be better off.
Unread 01-08-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriam45 View Post
Heather, I am a nurse and took 6 weeks.
Reason is that as a nurse, unless you work with newborns that do not weigh anything, you will have to lift, push, pull. There is a lot of on your feet and not much sitting.
If you have a regular floor job and can take more than 3 weeks FMLA you may be better off.
I do work with newborns but there is a bunch of heavy equipment involved. I work in the neonatal ICU.
Unread 01-08-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherMcP View Post
I do work with newborns but there is a bunch of heavy equipment involved. I work in the neonatal ICU.
I'd highly recommend taking as much time as you can to heal if you can. If you feel totally great afterwards you can always go back sooner. It's harder to extend time off typically...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register