You Sisters Said Anything Goes - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

You Sisters Said Anything Goes You Sisters Said Anything Goes

Unread 05-23-2002, 09:45 AM
Oops, wrong doc icon... LOL

okay, so it gave me the wrong icon for the doc.... it showed me that it was going to be a big gruff doc, snapping a glove half way up his arm! LOL,.... oh well, but would have been funnier though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2002, 02:16 PM
You Sisters Said Anything Goes

I don't know Tahnee...the BIG glove sounds better to me than self inflicted misery!!! But then I can't put a contact lens into my own eye either

Maralyn
Unread 05-23-2002, 03:04 PM

Cecee,
I had 2 fleet enemas before my surgery on May 8th. I had to do one the night before and one before I left for the castle in the morning. It wasn't bad though. After being constipated for what seemed my whole life, it was actually relieving. I would much rather do that then do the drink thing. I like to get things done and overwith. Then I don't have to deal with it anymore. It sure is quicker.
Good Luck and God Bless,
Barb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2002, 03:56 PM

The Fleets enema is almost exactly the same size as the douche most of us ladies have used before. It is done the same way only your goal is to try and hold it in rather then let it run out (and of course it goes in a different hole ). It is really not that bad at all. I have given them to little old ladies who have not had any problem with it. I wouldn't sweat this one!! It has to be better than running to the bathroom every five minutes for half the day!!!

Caren
Unread 05-23-2002, 04:01 PM
Definitely Enema

Cecee, this past monday was the fourth time I had to do an enema. This past sunday was the fourth time I had to drink that awful fleet soda!!! YUK!! If given a choice between the two, I would definitely take the Fleet Enema. The enema is not so bad, the end of the bottle that you have to insert, is like the tip of the Preparation H, that you have to insert. I've done both four times (Hopefully my last) and I know by now which is easier. The Fleet Enema.

I hope this helps!!!
Unread 05-23-2002, 04:39 PM
enema!

GO FOR THE FLEET ENEMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to give myself two before a colon test. (not colonoscopy) and believe me, it's much easier doing it to myself and being done with it! The thought of it is much worse than doing it. Good luck. I wish that's all I had to do. I have to drink something. Not the go-litely though, fortunately. I just can't remember what it is!!!!!!

TC
Unread 05-23-2002, 05:00 PM

Just tell me - does it hurt?????

<this from the baby chick in NH with an extremely low threshold for pain>

I don't go for preop for another week and a half, but I want to have my ducks in a row - and if one is ordered, I want to know what I'm in for!
Unread 05-23-2002, 05:10 PM
They don't hurt!

I had one when my dd was born 9 years ago, and it didn't hurt.

I too am a big chicken so I wouldn't lie to you about a thing like this!!! I PROMISE!!!!
Unread 05-23-2002, 07:22 PM
Now I'm all stressed out!

I have to have a Barium Enema on June 6, followed by an IVP. The bowel prep for this is disgusting to say the least and I am totally stressed out about it. I can't eat anything all day, just liquids then at 4PM I start with a Magnesium Citrate cocktail, 10 ounces worth. I have been told it is really pretty gross. Then besides drinking 8 ounces of water every hour on the hour for the rest of the evening at 7 PM I take 2 Dulcolax tablets and then 2 hours before the procedure I have to use a Dulcolax suppository. OMG!!! I think this is bothering me more then the thought of surgery.

Then at pre-op a few days ago, dr informs me that because of my bowel being adhered to my uterus I have to have the big time, heavy duty bowel prep the day before surgery. That day will consist of no eating once again, and starting at 1 PM drinking Fleet Phoso-Soda and 8 ounces of water every hour. And then at 2, 4, and 6 PM I have to take 1000 mg of Erythromycin and 1000 mg of Flagyl. And that's not it. Just found out today that I have to do a Fleet Enema the day of surgery. What will possibly be left in my system after all that?

I am figuring on absolutely no sleep because my surgery is scheduled at 7:30am and the hospital is over an hour away. I have to be there at 5:30am.

Now after reading all these posts on how everyone would choose the enema anyday over drinking stuff, I am totally scared. I have to go through this twice in two weeks time.

Well, I guess I could look at it from a weight loss stand point. I should definitely drop a couple of pounds before surgery. LOL!!

Donna
Unread 05-23-2002, 07:50 PM

I had to do the "drink" thing and the enema. Honestly, I am the biggest baby there ever was, it is not bad at all. There are explicit instructions. You lay on your left side, you stick this very small nozel into your rectum, which you hardly feel and you squirt "most" of the contents insdie of you. It goes in easily and in not uncomfortable. It takes a very short time to work. They tell you to try and hold it for 15 min. You feel like you have to go, but you are told to hold it as long as you can. That might be a little uncomfortable. Then you go and that is it. I did a 24 hour clean out with no food, drinking every hour, pills, the "drink" and the enema. Believe me the enema was the least bothersome. Don't worry a bit about it. Really. Good luck and take care. LIZ

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register