When can I return to work after a hysterectomy? UPDATED - returning to work 2/1 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When can I return to work after a hysterectomy? UPDATED - returning to work 2/1 When can I return to work after a hysterectomy? UPDATED - returning to work 2/1

Unread 01-10-2016, 04:23 PM
When can I return to work after a hysterectomy? UPDATED - returning to work 2/1

surgery 12/21. thought 4 weeks would be enough but not bouncing back that fast. now I'm thinking 6 weeks. I know everyone is different but what is your experience? I have internal stitches (and spotting dsily) and 3 laprasopic incisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2016, 04:31 PM

I thought the same thing, but six weeks is standard. I went back at 5 weeks because I had to. Keep resting and don't push it! Your body will tell you. I am still not lifting, pushing, or pulling, and after working all day I get sore and have some pain. So then I stay down for the rest of the day. My spotting is only minimal after a bowel movement-strange right!!
Unread 01-10-2016, 04:39 PM
Re: when can I return to work?

I had my surgery on Novemer 25th 2014 and returned to work Jan 5th 2015. I should have taken another week or two. if you can stay out longer then take advantage and stay home. Get plenty of rest. Take naps in the afternoon. I felt tired by about 2 in the afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Re: when can I return to work?

Hello....
I had surgery 12/21 and was hoping to return to work 1/19.... Had post op appointment 1/8 and was told that I'm not being released until 2/8! Ugh. It's all good though. I have the leave time available and if this is what is best then do be it.

Cash1$
Unread 01-10-2016, 05:43 PM

I had originally scheduled 4 weeks off, but it wasn't enough. I'm going back tomorrow (at 5 weeks), but half days. I feel like I need another couple of weeks.
Unread 01-10-2016, 06:33 PM

[quote=Wroady;4714574]I thought the same thing, but six weeks is standard. I went back at 5 weeks because I had to. Keep resting and don't push it! Your body will tell you. I am still not lifting, pushing, or pulling, and after working all day I get sore and have some pain. So then I stay down for the rest of the day. My spotting is only minimal after a bowel movement-strange right!![/QUOTE thank you! will let you know Tuesday what my dr says too about my progress. curious to find out how my stitches are healing!
Unread 01-10-2016, 06:35 PM
Re: when can I return to work after a hysterectomy?

I went back at 3 weeks, I felt great,was bored and went back with no problem
Unread 01-10-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash1$ View Post
Hello....
I had surgery 12/21 and was hoping to return to work 1/19.... Had post op appointment 1/8 and was told that I'm not being released until 2/8! Ugh. It's all good though. I have the leave time available and if this is what is best then do be it.

Cash1$
Hi there! out of curiosity what made them say 2/8? I will let you know Tuesday what they tell me! we had surgery the same day!
Unread 01-10-2016, 06:48 PM

I'll be 4 weeks Wednesday, and classes start tomorrow. I'm a full time student. My doctor has released me for school, but we had a conversation about being careful due to ice and stairs on campus (I'll be taking the tunnels and elevators, which will frustrate winter loving, athletic me!), how much my backpack weighs (notebook, pencil and water bottle only, no books), and my need to rest as much as I can when not in class. Lots of studying and working on my computer from my recliner!
Unread 01-10-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecream16 View Post
Hi there! out of curiosity what made them say 2/8? I will let you know Tuesday what they tell me! we had surgery the same day!
Icecream16
I was told that because I had really bad endometriosis, removal of a tube, removal of ovary, removal of cervix, & uterus....He wants to make sure I am ready to return... He explained that hysterectomies are major surgeries and he takes all precautions within his patient's interest. So six weeks it is. Next appt. is 2/5 and I can return 2/8.....

I've been his patient since I was 19 yrs old. I am 47 now. So if he says 6 wks. that's what I will do.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register