~Help! I'm preoccupied with my Hyst.~ - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

~Help!  I'm preoccupied with my Hyst.~ ~Help! I'm preoccupied with my Hyst.~

Unread 05-23-2002, 07:32 PM
~Help! I'm preoccupied with my Hyst.~

I had my surgery 5/7 and I am here to tell you first hand the worst of all of this is the waiting. It's hell. I too was a nutjob before. I would have panic attacks, crying spells, thinking I should cancel times. One night, very, very late I even had myself convinced the pain was not so bad and that I was exagerating this whole thing. It is just fear of the unknown that makes us act that way. It is all very normal. Do something really nice for yourself each day. Go out to lunch or dinner, rent a good movie, go out for a drink with a girlfriend, take a long hot bath, and keep coming back here and read these post and reach out to these ladies. This place was my salvation. Also, what ever questions yu have, no matter how silly yu think they are, write them down and call your doctor and get as much reassurance from him/her as you can.

Good luck. I'll pray for you. You'll see every thing will be fine. LIZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2002, 10:10 PM

I too obsess about this surgery. I think about it all day long. Sometimes I think I'm going to lose my mind before my surgery FINALLY rolls around(notice my signature ). I think it's pretty normal. If only people were a little more understanding of my obsession
Unread 05-23-2002, 11:11 PM

I am with you. Seems all I do is think about having a hysterectomy. I am new to this website and I am so thankful to find I am not the only one having all of these feelings...

Sometimes I think I don't have it so bad there are a lot more women out there worse off than I am, it could be worse, etc.. My girlfriend asked me the other day- what you think you have to suffer?

Just seems like one minute I am all for having the hysterectomy- the next minute I'm thinking about changing my mind.

I guess I will just have to resign my self to all of these feelings until it is finally done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 05:56 AM

I feel the same way! That's all I think about! I'm on this website every morning, reading and reading. I am obsessed with my surgery. One minute I can't wait for it to be over, the next minute I'm having a panic attack over stupid things. The other day I freaked over the 'shakes' you get post-op. It consumed me for an entire day.

The only thing that works for me is to keep BUSY. If I have any downtime, my thoughts go right to the surgery. So, I work all day, when I get home I take care of the kids, run them around, make dinner, then I finish or start something to keep busy.

Since I have found out about my surgery (May 3, surgery is June 18) I have cleaned out cupboards, cleaned my garages (all 3 of them!), painted my laundry room, and my next project is, I am having 5 tons of topsoil delivered this weekend! I'm putting in my back garden. This should keep me busy for awhile. DH works out of town during the week and is only home on the weekends.

I know this sounds crazy, but it's all I can do to keep from going over the edge! It keeps me focused on using my nervous energy constructively.
Unread 05-24-2002, 07:10 AM

msmaureen,
I also frantically started redoing my backyard in preparation for returning from the castle. I put in a brickpatio with the help of my 10-yr-old daughter,plus shrubs and perrennials. I'll be the Princess of the Patio all summer after my TAV.
yes cyndi, I check this site everyday. for weeks the surgery has felt like a project to schedule and prepare for. Only now the realities of the physical recovery are starting to hit me. It's a big deal. the support of this site is fabulous. Take all you need.
Unread 05-24-2002, 07:26 AM
I'm sure I'm worse than you!!

Hi,

Do not feel bad..I am on this thing all day. Sometimes I check the posts every hour and am disappointed when there's nothing new. Last night, I made my DH read it with me..I made him. Through the entire experience, he had this pained look on his face.

I've also decided that I know the source of the sisters' pre-op headaches!! I read all kinds of posts about you all getting headaches before surgery and wanting to know why. It's because we've been staring at the computer screen too much!! My DH laughed at that one. (The poor man, I know he wants to gag me so I won't be able to talk about my reproductive system anymore)

Take care,
Unread 05-24-2002, 07:30 AM

I'm into it in a big way, too, Cyndi!

It's such a comfort to have a place where everyone wants to talk about what we're going through.

My friends and family are loving, supportive and forgiving people but, I've seen the glazed over look once or twice - they can't possibly want to submerge themselves in all of this, the way I do right now.

Unlike you, I don't have any doubts at all about my choice to go forward with the hyst - some anxieties and questions - but no doubts. If I did though, this would be the place to work them through.

I am thankful beyond imagining for all the fabulous sisters here. We're so lucky to have each other. Once again, hats off (or should I say, crowns off?) to Kathy!

Cecee
Unread 05-24-2002, 07:41 AM

Hi Cyndi and everyone else,
Yes it's normal to feel like you are feeling. I had my op just over 2 weeks ago on 8th May - the sense of relief at it being over is just soooo great.... AND it wasn't half as bad as I'd thought it would be! I found it good to busy myself with getting everything in order in the house that I can't do now - like vacuuming, dusting, tidying up work-clothes and ironing, and getting together some little projects that I can do while on the sofa (I'm doing some cross-stitch). Everyone on this board says that "the waiting is the worst" - it really is, and you will probably feel like this until the second they put you under the anaesthetic, BUT IT'S WORTH IT!! Hang on in there,
xx
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:22 AM
It's all I think about!!!!!!!

I have my surgery in 17 days and I am so tired of waiting. SO if your not NORMAL NEITHER AM I!!!. I know everyone around me is getting tired of my talking about it, I am tired of thinking about it. I hope everyone is right about the waiting being the worst! I too check this site every several hours to see if there are any new posts, I think I'm becoming OBSESSED!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I 'll go back to work know and try not to htink about the "H"! (yeah right)
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:53 AM
ME TOOOO

Hi Cyndi,

Iam new to the site to my tvh is scheduled for June 7. Since I found out that is all I think about and I am totally obsessed with this site. I too have been dreaming about the upcoming event.

I am sure we will get through this it seems to help just venting here on this site.

Lisa

TVH 2 WEEKS AND COUNTING (slowly I hope)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register