3 weeks post hysterectomy: Painful to Severe sharp burning pain only on left side | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post hysterectomy: Painful to Severe sharp burning pain only on left side 3 weeks post hysterectomy: Painful to Severe sharp burning pain only on left side

Unread 01-18-2016, 03:59 AM
3 weeks post hysterectomy: Painful to Severe sharp burning pain only on left side

Hi,
I had a supracervical laparoscopic hysterectomy leaving both ovaries in on December 28, 2015.
Immediately following my waking up in recovery I had the urge to cough, but it was a hard cough and I felt severe intense pain below the left incision. Scared I that the cough had opened the incision I asked the nurse to check it. She said it look ok but would watch it.
Since my release that left side still gives me trouble especially when bending or when any kind of pressure is applied.
The location of this pain is low like in my bikini area on left side but radiates up between the left incision and my belly button incision. It is sharp and burning.
My post op is scheduled for Jan 25. So I called my dr triage nurse and they are aware of it. I'm on ibuprofen 800 mg and occasionally I must take a Percocet to help me with it. Has anyone else experienced this and if so is it healing? Or have I damaged myself somehow? Kinda worried about the latter. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2016, 07:18 AM
3 weeks post hysterectomy: Painful to Severe sharp burning pain only on left side

Hello I had DaVinci hysterectomy leaving both ovaries 12/21/15. I had the same time of pain through my recovery as well even more when laying down to rest. My dr told me to take the meds and since I had no fever or heavy bleeding it was all apart of my body healing. Take it easy and take your meds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExhaleJen View Post
Hi,
I had a supracervical laparoscopic hysterectomy leaving both ovaries in on December 28, 2015.
Immediately following my waking up in recovery I had the urge to cough, but it was a hard cough and I felt severe intense pain below the left incision. Scared I that the cough had opened the incision I asked the nurse to check it. She said it look ok but would watch it.
Since my release that left side still gives me trouble especially when bending or when any kind of pressure is applied.
The location of this pain is low like in my bikini area on left side but radiates up between the left incision and my belly button incision. It is sharp and burning.
My post op is scheduled for Jan 25. So I called my dr triage nurse and they are aware of it. I'm on ibuprofen 800 mg and occasionally I must take a Percocet to help me with it. Has anyone else experienced this and if so is it healing? Or have I damaged myself somehow? Kinda worried about the latter. Thank you.
Unread 01-18-2016, 10:03 AM

Hi! I actually had a tvh but I work as a surgical tech and thought I would give my input on your problem from that point of view. The incision you are worried about is generally a small incision in which a trocar is placed for surgical instruments to enter, if it's the incision for a small trocar it was generally only closed at the skin. Meaning no internal sutures, they are unnecessary for this closure. Sutures are expensive for the patient and if the placement is unnecessary your doctor will not use them. Anyway this means you didn't break anything internally, your cough may have just inadvertently made it sore at the muscular level.
On the other hand if this is your largest incision that means that a larger trocar was placed, usually the larger trocars are unnecessary since the uterus is still removed vaginally, but if you left your cervix, or larger instruments were needed they may have placed a 10mm trocar, this incision requires the placement of internal sutures, these sutures are way stronger than a cough! I have trouble cutting them if my suture scissors aren't sharpened recently! Anyway, I would bet you didn't bust those, you most likely 'pulled' on them, resulting in a soreness!
I hope this helps, surgery can result in pains and annoyances that surprise patients, because of all the things we touch or tug on! Take it easy hystersister!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2016, 12:58 AM
Re: 3 weeks post hysterectomy: Painful to Severe sharp burning pain only on left side

I'm in the exact same boat. I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy done on Dec. 30. I asked my doctor about it this past Thursday at my 2 week check up. He said it was a normal part of healing.
Unread 01-19-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettacst View Post
Hi! I actually had a tvh but I work as a surgical tech and thought I would give my input on your problem from that point of view. The incision you are worried about is generally a small incision in which a trocar is placed for surgical instruments to enter, if it's the incision for a small trocar it was generally only closed at the skin. Meaning no internal sutures, they are unnecessary for this closure. Sutures are expensive for the patient and if the placement is unnecessary your doctor will not use them. Anyway this means you didn't break anything internally, your cough may have just inadvertently made it sore at the muscular level.
On the other hand if this is your largest incision that means that a larger trocar was placed, usually the larger trocars are unnecessary since the uterus is still removed vaginally, but if you left your cervix, or larger instruments were needed they may have placed a 10mm trocar, this incision requires the placement of internal sutures, these sutures are way stronger than a cough! I have trouble cutting them if my suture scissors aren't sharpened recently! Anyway, I would bet you didn't bust those, you most likely 'pulled' on them, resulting in a soreness!
I hope this helps, surgery can result in pains and annoyances that surprise patients, because of all the things we touch or tug on! Take it easy hystersister!
Wow! Thank you for this detailed information it puts my mind to much needed rest. Now if I can just get rid of my medicine headache from the pain meds. I have stopped them both meaning the Percocet and ibuprofen yesterday because I am prone to migraines and have been getting horrible headaches turning into migraine headaches. I guess I just need to endure and ride it out. Thank you again for your reply.
Unread 01-19-2016, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie86 View Post
I'm in the exact same boat. I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy done on Dec. 30. I asked my doctor about it this past Thursday at my 2 week check up. He said it was a normal part of healing.
Thank you for your reply and reassurance. I had a very nasty bruise on the left incision. My follow up is not until Jan 25. But knowing you were in the same boat and had your follow up with the dr saying it is normal healing reassures me greatly. Thank you!
Unread 01-19-2016, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0830 View Post
Hello I had DaVinci hysterectomy leaving both ovaries 12/21/15. I had the same time of pain through my recovery as well even more when laying down to rest. My dr told me to take the meds and since I had no fever or heavy bleeding it was all apart of my body healing. Take it easy and take your meds.
Thank you for your reply. I've had no fever either or actually any bleeding. Just a nasty bruise on the left incision. That is my problem side.
But I had to stop meds yesterday because I am prone to migraines and due to the use of the pain meds I am experiencing a overuse headache turning into a migraine daily even though I am following the pain medication instructions to a T.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register