The rest of the story.... (Castle visit) long | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators. is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The rest of the story....  (Castle visit) long The rest of the story.... (Castle visit) long

Thread Tools
Unread 05-23-2002, 04:39 PM
The rest of the story.... (Castle visit) long

I returned home from the castle today. I had to be there on Monday morning at 5:30. I got up and took a shower and drove myself to the castle. I was amazingly calm that morning!! My mother stayed home to take care of my dogs, then my sister picked her up at 6:30 to come and wait during surgery. I arrived and had been instructed to go to the floor I would be assigned to and drop off my belongings. I arrived with donuts and think that made everyone happy!

I waited about 10 mins in the waiting room before going into the holding area where a nurse who was not overly friendly, but pleasent enough, started my IV and then I waited to talk to the Anesthesiologist. He reviewed my history and went over what he was going to do, then ordered meds for nausea to be given pre op and some Versed to relax me. My wonderful niece came in to the holding area to visit with me. She visited about 10 mins (I think!), then they took me to the Operating room. Moved me to the table and explained that they would put an oxygen mask over my face to give me some extra oxygen, then he would give me the meds to put me to sleep. That is all I remember until I woke up in the recovery room at about 11:30.

I don't remember too much of that, except that I was uncomfortable. But no nausea!! The nurse there started my morphine drip, but I was still uncomfortable. They took me to my room at about 1:00 and had me move myself to the bed (OUCH!!). The nurse came into the room and checked me in, then came back and said that the revovery room nurse did not give me the bolus of morphine before I came upstairs so she would. That was the last really bad pain I had. My Dr. had asked if I wanted the morphine pump set up to give a continous drip of morphine and then I could boost it if needed or to have it all controled by me. I of course opted for the first one. I pushed my control button a few times, but not that often. I joked about watching jeopardy and pushing my signaling button for each answer I knew! I started itching about half way through the first day but didn't say anything assuming that they would take the morphine away. Silly me, the next day after it was gone, the nurse said lots of people itch from the drip and my Dr had ordered benadryl for the itching if I needed. Since I was still itching the next night, I took the benadryl shot the next night and slept much better! So if you itch from the meds, ask!!

The second day I walked and drank water. The nurses were all very nice and pretty attentive, except for the second night it took about an hour for the nurse to bring me a pain pill. By the time she got there I was shaking and in tears. I don't think it was so much from the pain, but I was kind of emotional that night. I took two pills and slept for several hours. Got up and took a shower at 3 am and walked the halls for awhile. Then went back to sleep. I was all better then, and no more emotional break downs since!!! ( I am still waiting for the big one since I can't start hrt for a couple of weeks!)

I was ready to come home that next morning, but I think the nurses had told my Dr. that I had a bad night. So he walked in that morning and said he thought he would keep me one more day.

This morning I was up and had showered and had already started to pack when the Dr got there. He guessed I was ready to go!!

I have felt good since I got home. I'd not had a BM since surgery, so he said I could take a laxitve when I got home. Let me tell you how challanging it is to clean yourself, trying to be extra careful and thorough to keep from contaminating the foley catheter right after having your stomach cut open!!!! I hope to have the catheter removed tomorrow when I visit the urologist!

All in all it was a good experience. Most everyone was very friendly and generally attentive, not perfect, but not bad. The food was awful!!! But I didn't care much about eating anyway!

Hope everyone has as good an outcome and visit as I did!

(tah/bso for SEVERE, undiagnosed endometriosis. burch proceedure) (can't wait to get the catheter out!!!)
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-23-2002, 04:58 PM
The rest of the story.... (Castle visit) long

Welcome Home Caren!!

I'm glad that you are home and hope that your catheter can come out real soon. Please be careful not to do too much too soon - even sitting at a computer is an activity that puts strain on your new stitches.

Be sure to get lots of , lots of fluids, and a little each day.


Unread 05-23-2002, 05:01 PM

You made it!!! I'm so happy for you that things worked out for you the way you wanted!! Now, as I'm sure the others will tell you, remember your princess training...REST, DRINK lots of Water and last but not least walk!!!

's!!! You're a !!!
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-24-2002, 06:51 AM
The rest of the story.... (Castle visit) long

Hey Caren! Welcome Home!

That may have been long, but it was exactly what I was looking for - details. Thanks for posting and for the itching tip.

I'm so glad that it all went well for you. I will be watching for your posts and hoping that your recovery is smooth. But, echoing KDeit's concern, careful about long sessions at the keyboard, okay?!

Congratulations, Caren

Unread 05-24-2002, 07:02 AM
The rest of the story.... (Castle visit) long

Glad your home and doing okay. And thanks too for the itchy advice.
Unread 05-24-2002, 07:15 AM
Thank you!


Your post wasn't too long. Us LIW thrive on these kinds of posts. I need structure so as long as I know what to expect, it calms my fears. Take it easy and post again as you're feeling better.

Unread 05-24-2002, 07:33 AM
The rest of the story.... (Castle visit) long

Welcome home Karen,
So glad things went smooth, except for that mean ole' nurse. I appreciate the heads up about the itching. I will also have the morphine drip, so that was good info that I hadn't heard yet.! I go in 5 days. My doc is going to try and do a TVH/BSO, but may have to a TAH. I may also be having bladder repair, but won't know until the day before my surgery! Take care and
s to you,
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:21 AM
The rest of the story.... (Castle visit) long

More good news. The catheter is OUT!!! They put 200cc of sterile water in my bladder and I gave them back exactly 200cc of it. I came home and urinated a small amount again without any problem. Looks like that was a success too!

I will keep my keyboard session short as instructed (thanks!).

Unread 05-24-2002, 08:28 AM
You have to come home with it?

I was reading your experience and saw that you stated they left in the catheter...why do they do that? I thought that they would remove it the nextr day like they do when I had a c section...that makes me even more scared to know that...
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:37 AM
Yea, Caren--you're a princess!

Hi Caren!

I am so happy for you that you did well! It sounds like all in all, it was a good experience for you, despite the few "hiccups." You are on your way, girl!

I understand all too well about the waiting on the pain pill. I had a real tough night the second night. I asked for a pain med at 9pm. I finally got it at midnight! The nurse would come in and say, "Now what was it that you needed?" And I'd say, "Just a pain pill." She'd say, "I'll be right back" and then she wouldn't come back. That went on for hours--I didn't want to bug her right away, so I would wait another 45 minutes before I'd call again. About 15 min. before midnight, I called again because the pain was getting pretty darn unbearable. Then something happened that just plain surprised me. That same nurse stuck her head in, said, "Just take some deep breaths---I got a patient whose bleeding out here!" And she disappeared again. Like every single time before. I totally understand that getting a pain med is not a priority, but it would have been nice if she would have asked a co-worker for some help.

At midnight she came in and loaded me down with all the "missed" meds from 9 on. I was asked to take all 5 pills at once (2 of these were pain pills), plus she put two "heavy" doses of pain meds into my IV port. She told me "that should take care of it." Since I hadn't eaten for 3 days, apparently it was an overload on my system. I got extremely nauseated. An hour later I threw up all over the floor, on my IV port, on my bed, etc. Guess what? a different nurse got sent in to clean it up. Then they came back in with more pills. I said, "If it's okay with you guys, could I just have a shot?" Throwing up was so hard because I had (have) a very large abdominal incision (due to them removing a baseball-sized dermoid cyst) and I really had to scramble to pull myself up so that I could heave. It was agonizing. I bawled my head off for the next few minutes.

After the shot, I slept so hard that night. 6 straight hours of bliss. It was wonderful.

I guess I'd say that if there are any LIW out there, my advice would be that if you aren't recieving your pain meds within a half hour or hour of calling them, then ask the nurse's desk if they could grab someone else temporarily to help you out. I made the mistake of trusting at least 4 times of "I'll be right back."

Caren, also wanted to say how critical it is that you take a laxative (under Dr's recommendations) if you get constipated--heck, I'd take it as a preventative measure. The first time can be pretty painful! The day after I got out of the hospital I had to go back to the ER because of it. I hadn't gone in 5 days and my system kept wanting me to "bear down" without any results. I had done everything right (drank a ton of water, walked, had stool softener in the hospital and at home), but my system just wouldn't cooperate. That evening, before going to the hospital, I tried two suppositories and a fleet enema with no affect. The pain was unlike anything I have ever experienced. At the hospital they did X-rays and said that I was temporarily blocked. They kept telling me that I was probably dehydrated, but my pee was clear, (like I said, I had been drinking a TON of water) so how could that be? They pumped two liters of fluids in me that night anyways. I was there from 10:30 in the evening until 2:30am. A very long night. The next morning the Milk of Magnesia finally kicked in and things were fine, but it was still tough getting through that "first" one. I will pray that things go way easier for you.

I am so glad that you are done with your surgery! Now is the time to get lots of rest and to be good to yourself. At times you will feel on top of the world, and at other times, you'll feel like sleeping all day. Just listen to your body and you'll do great!

By the way, when you have your first hard sneeze-- You will be sooooo thankful that you had the Burch. It's changed my life.

Just think Caren, no more periods ever (and all the stuff that goes with them)! It is so awesome!

God bless you, Caren--keep us posted on your recovery!



TAH with right ovary saved/Large dermoid cyst/endometrial implant/fibroids/Burch bladder repair--I can do this --without leaking!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
From This Forum From Other Forums
11 Replies, Last Reply 08-07-2006, Started By mandm91
4 Replies, Last Reply 02-15-2004, Started By ElenaM
2 Replies, Last Reply 08-11-2002, Started By Skeigh
3 Replies, Last Reply 07-15-2002, Started By Ria
2 Replies, Last Reply 06-25-2002, Started By gustogal
2 Replies, Last Reply 06-13-2002, Started By Haileigh
2 Replies, Last Reply 06-05-2002, Started By shelley2
5 Replies, Last Reply 06-01-2002, Started By pastaprincess
2 Replies, Last Reply 03-16-2002, Started By LissaLee
6 Replies, Last Reply 12-22-2001, Started By Bossy Teacher
9 Replies, Last Reply 09-02-2001, Started By julestoo
3 Replies, Last Reply 08-07-2001, Started By ZoomZoom
8 Replies, Last Reply 07-05-2001, Started By JackieMA
0 Reply, Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories
0 Reply, Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories
0 Reply, Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories
2 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
4 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)
0 Reply, Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories
4 Replies, Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)


Hysterectomy News

September 17,2021


HysterSisters Takes On Partner To Manage Continued Growth And Longevity
I have news that is wonderful and exciting! This week’s migration wasn’t a typical migration - from one set ... News Archive


Calendar - Hysterectomies - Birthdays

Request Information

I am a HysterSister


Featured Story - All Stories - Share Yours


Your Hysterectomy Date

CUSTOMIZE Your Browsing  

$vbulletin->featuredvideos is not an array!