what pain medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what pain medication what pain medication

Unread 05-23-2002, 07:09 PM
what pain medication

I had my surgery 5/20. It went well. No cancer anywhere TAH/BSO. I am home after 3 days in the hospital. Any suggestions on pain managment. I have a pill but it had codene in it and not sure how well it it working or if it is worth how I feel when I take it.

Thanks for the card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2002, 07:12 PM
what pain medication

Hi Kallie!

Glad you hear you are home safe and sound!

Talk to your doctor about pain meds...you should be following his/her orders regarding any medication you take. I took 800mgs of Motrin every four hours for the first few weeks and it worked fine for me, but everyone is different.

Please check with your own doctor on this. And remember, rest, drink, walk a little, and rest more!!

Karen
Unread 05-23-2002, 08:56 PM
what pain medication

Hi, I am 6 days post op and am currently taking darvacet for pain. It works well for me, although I understand it's in the lower end of the pain relief scale. I usually take it about one hour before bed time. They tried demerol in the hospital and I did not care for the drugged feeling it gave me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 01:58 AM
what pain medication

Definatly call you Dr. and ask for his or her opinion. Certainly you can try tylenol and see if that works, but there are several other options that don't contain "codene: (different from codiene!!). But if it is making you sick, get something different.

Glad you are doing well and no cancer. I am still waiting for the path report (surgery same day) but no cancer is expected.

Caren
Unread 05-27-2002, 11:39 AM
Percocet

In the hospital, I was given two Percocet every 4-6 hours. When I was in the Pre-Op area, I asked my doctor what he was going to give me for pain, the pump? He said that he was going to give me Percocet as soon as I was able to swallow a little water. He said it was better for me. The only reason I thought the pump would be good is because of the staffing shortage and knew that I COULD CONTROL THE PAIN with the pump. I don't remember anything about recovery or even being moved from the gurney to my bed in the room I ended up in! BUT, when I asked the first nurse for pain medication, I never got it. I don't know what happened, but at that time I wished I had the pump. When the second shift nurse came in and said, "My name is Diane and I will be your nurse this evening. If there is anything you need, let me know. Do you need anything now?" I said, "I need pain medication. I asked before, but I never got it." Standing next to my evening nurse was a gentleman (nurse tech?) who acknowledged that he was with nurse #1 when I asked for the medication. Diane promised she would be right back and she did come back with my Percocet. She told me to make sure I ask for it sooner rather than later because it takes a while to get into the bloodstream and it would take longer to work if I waited too long. I then received my medication regularly and had no more problems. I did notice that the Percocet works on the "wiring" in your brain. I was talking to my best friend on the phone and she said, "I think you want to rest now." When I asked her why she said that, she responded, "because you aren't making any sense." The next day, I was talking to her again caught myself saying something totally unrelated to our conversation. When I was ready to go home, my doctor told me that PERCOCET CAN BE CONSTIPATING so if the pain wasn't severe to use Motrin when I could. He gave me a precription for Percocet, but told me to try and only take one instead of two.
Unread 05-27-2002, 12:16 PM
medication

I'm glad I had the pump when I was in. Then he gave me hydrocodone/apap to take 1-2 every 4-6 hours. I tried 1 but so far 2 is what I need. It has seemed fine without any weird things going on. Looking forward to being able to do without though. Anyone have insight into an approximation?
Unread 05-27-2002, 04:03 PM
what pain medication

Hi, Kallie -

As everyone says, do check with your doctor.

I was on Percoset (actually Roxicet ..the generic), which is Acetaminophen- ie Tylenol - and a narcotic, and Ibuprofin (600 mg) combination as soon as my IV was removed the day after surgery (surgery was a Monday). I stayed on that several days, (occasionally skipping the percoset), then chose to begin weaning myself off of the percoset (2 reasons - addictive and constipating, neither of which I wanted - and I needed to start iron supplements which are ALSO constipating) on Friday morning - taking the percoset every other time. Stopped them Friday night, and used ibuprofin only for another week and a half or so. This worked well for me - I was never in any pain.

I was also told at the hospital to keep ahead of the pain, that by the time you really really hurt, it was going to take a long time to feel better.

Cheers,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register