the right incision?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

the right incision?? the right incision??

Unread 05-24-2002, 07:44 AM
the right incision??

A friend is about to have her hysterectomy & is debating which cut is best... the horizontal or vertical? I was under the impression that if you could have the horizontal, bikini cut, it was better? Is this correct?

Charly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 07:49 AM
the right incision??

I have heard that the horizontal cut heals better than the vertical because of less stretching and pulling while healing. That is only what I've heard, though, so I'm not sure. My vertical cut is in a natural fold of skin anyway, so it makes sense to me.

Unread 05-24-2002, 10:51 AM
the right incision??

It's up to the dr about the type of incision for an abdominal hyst. If there are huge fibroids or questionable growths, the dr may need to have a large field to get a good visual of everything in the abdominal cavity. There have been several hystersisters here who had a vertical incision, and they say they healed fine, though of course the scar will be more noticeable. Best wishes to your friend.
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 03:32 PM
the right incision??

The following is from a site called The Pelvic Floor. It is by a DR and shows pictures from actual surgeries, it is very graphic; I don’t want to offend anyone so I am not including the link.
"It has to be made clear that the smallest or most inconspicuous incision, is NOT always the best. Unfortunately I can't explain here why that is, but trust me, its true. Or better yet, don't trust me at all; ask your own doctor...
It is important to note that NO abdominal muscles are usually cut. The rectus muscles are separated from one another, and spread apart, using the retractor. The bowel is then carefully packed upward and out of the surgical field, using swabs"

Hope this helps!
Unread 05-24-2002, 06:57 PM
Question For Mary Lou

I would like to visit the site you were referring to - The Pelvic Floor. Would you please email me privately with the web address? I would greatly appreciate it. Send information to: [email protected]

Thanks!
Margie
Unread 05-24-2002, 11:27 PM
the right incision??

It's PelvicFloor.com. All people have to do is understand that it's graphic -- it's surgery after all. Women have the choice to go to the site or not. It's informative, but if you're squeamish, don't go.

Flippy
Unread 05-25-2002, 01:50 PM
I've had both types of incisions

Charly,

I've had both types of incisions. The healing time and the way I felt after each surgery was almost exactly the same. The only difference I can remember is that I could stand up straight sooner with the vertical than with the horizontal.

HOWEVER, if I would have had a choice, I would have had the horizontal both times. The scar is from my belly button down to the hairline. It is not very attractive! My fibroids were too large and the endo had attacked my bowels......there was no other way.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Kristi
Unread 05-25-2002, 01:58 PM
the right incision??

It's true...the decision on what type of incision and where is strictly up to the doctor. Everything depends on your specific condition...what they're looking for and expecting. I don't think one type heals better than the other.

I suppose cosmetically that a horizontal incision would be preferable; however, I know that my bikini days are far behind me, so I really didn't care as long as they remembered to SEW IT UP!!!!

Talk this over with your doctor; I'm sure that s/he will explain the surgical plan to you so at least you'll know going in what you'll be coming out with!

Good luck to you.

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register