I am soooo scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am soooo scared I am soooo scared

Unread 05-24-2002, 08:03 AM
I am soooo scared

I just found out this past Monday that I have to have a hysterectomy. I have been dealing with painful periods and heavy bleeding pretty much all my life. I sort of expected it a sometime in my life, but now that time has come, I am completely scared. I do not know what to expect or how I am going to feel or even if I am going to feel like a complete woman when everything is said and done. Are these feelings normal? I have 2 months before my surgery date, to me that is a long time to sit and think about everything... too long if you ask me!!! PLease could someone tell me what I should expect going into this!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 08:17 AM
It's OK to be scared!!

Hi Rena!!

's!!!

I can't give you a lot of advice about what to expect, as I am still a lady in waiting myself, but I had a 2+ month wait. My hyst is set for June 10th. Everyone here will tell you that the wait is truly the hardest part, and so far I would agree!! During these two months, I have spent much of the time second guessing myself, but I keep coming back to the hyst as the right decision for me! Unlike you, I do not suffer from overly heavy periods, but mine are EXTREMELY painful!

I will be saying prayers for you during this time!! Feel free to ask any kind of question. Nothing here is too personal or unmentionable!!

Again...'s!!!!
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:46 AM
I am soooo scared

Hello Ladies in Waiting....

You've read it in many other posts but it is true -- the waiting is the hardest part. I was going to have my surgery in January or February, but had to put it off because my mother had a bad stroke the first of the year. I had plenty of time to worry too. I kept coming back to this website every day (usually several times a day). I knew several women who had hysts too -- and they were all encouraging and supportive.

Now that I am on the other side I can honestly say that the recovery wasn't easy -- but it truly wasn't bad compared to the pain and heavy bleeding I had been dealing with prior. I honestly know I made the right decision. The best advice that I can give is to go into it with a positive mind and know how much better you will feel once it is all over. Since I've been home recovering the past five weeks I still pop on the site several times a day, it has been so incredibly helpful.

Best wishes to you. Better days are just ahead!!!

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 08:47 AM
I am soooo scared

Hi Rena:

I am having my surgery TAH/BSO on June 4th. I have been waiting since mid-March. This week I have been a basket case and driving my boss crazy. Next week I have to train a temp all week and I'm sure I won't be able to concentrate at all. The waiting is dreadful. But, because of this site, I am prepared for what will happen, I know what to pack for my trip to the castle and I know to have my house ready and waiting for my return. This site has helped me tremendously. don't second guess yourself. Your quality of life should improve tremendously after the surgery.

I will keep in touch and let you know how my castle stay is and how my recovery is going.

You'll do just great!

Nancy
Unread 05-24-2002, 08:51 AM
I am soooo scared

What am I going to need to do to prepare for the surgery and after I come home. I am a single mom and I really do not have a lot of friends to help out. My mother will be there when I first get home, but after that sunday I will be pretty much on my own. I am trying to send my little to stay with someone while I am in the hospital and for the next week after I get released, But I do not know what I need to take with me or what I need to do to get myself and my house ready for me for when I am home...PLEASE HELP!!!!
Unread 05-24-2002, 09:05 AM
I am soooo scared

Hi Rena!

Not only will you still feel like a woman, you will better than you ever have. I am post-op one whole month TODAY! YAY! Just imagine, no more pain, no more heavy periods... it's so freeing! You don't have to take anything to the hospital. They look after you very well. The only thing I needed to have was my slippers.

The few days before I went into hospital, I washed the floors, did a dusting and vacuuming around and a big laundry and that was that. You are not to lift anything or push yourself to any extent when you get home. Make sure you have lots of tea, fruit and fibre foods stocked up since you want easy and painless bowel movements.

The thing about housework is that it will always be there, so don't fret about it. It will be done in time or maybe a friend will come in once or twice a week to do the things that are driving you batty.

You are completely normal to be scared and to be thinking about it all the time. Just keep yourself busy and I found it REALLY helps to focus more on "waking up and it being over" than the actual surgery. You'll be asleep. You won't know what's happening. So just focus your positive vibes toward how much better you will be when it's all done.

Drop me an E-Mail if you'd like to talk. I'd be only too happy to share!

*HUGS*
Unread 05-24-2002, 09:24 AM
I am soooo scared

I've been away for awhile, but only because I've been enjoying the time away from stress.
I had my surgery on 4/16 and it was truly a breeze. I am not a person who worries about things I can't control, so I didn't worry too much about the surgery. I over prepared for when I would come home (and forget about the soups, yogurts, etc. and make sure you have FOOD - albeit high fiber foods and fruits and veggies - on hand. I bought Gas X - didn't need it. Filled the prescription for pain pills the doctor gave me upon my discharge - wasted my money, didn't need it.

There was an earthquake close by on the Saturday (4/20) after my surgery and I did make a mistake in struggling to get the 10 foot ladder out of the shed so I could climb up and check on a window in my house that shifted, so my advice is not to tug on ladders tangled up with lawn mowers in the shed right after your surgery.

Since my surgery, I've done what I felt like and rested when I wanted. I've also painted the ceiling and walls in two rooms of my house, fixed my shifted window, started my old lawnmower and mowed the lawn, driven 90 miles round trip to attend a full day conference (that was less than 3 weeks after my surgery), changed TWO flat tires on my car (only had two flat tires in the past 20 years and then I have two in two weeks right after surgery, can you imagine??). As a matter of fact, because I didn't need the pain pills, I was driving a week after my surgery.

So my advice - prepare, but don't stress, and do what you can without pushing too much. My recover has been a breeze and I really think it's because I didn't allow myself to be pampered too much and just went on with my life as quickly as possible.

Thanks to all for the encouragement before surgery!!
Unread 05-24-2002, 12:15 PM
I am soooo scared

Hi
It is perfectly ok to be nervous about your upcomming surgery.
What I did was visit this site alot, kept busy and tried not to obcess about my housework (easier said than done LOL). The wait is really the hardest part. I so looked forward to making it to the other side cuz first off, i wouldnt have any more pain, secondly, no more periods! YIPEE!!! I wont have to plan my life around all that anymore! I tried to focus on the good that can come out of the hysterectomy.

I had my surgery on 5-20 so i am only 4 days post-op at this time. Although I am somewhat groggy from the oral pain meds, I am breathing a sigh of relief that it is over now. Your time will be here soon. You have plenty of time to get things arranged for your recovery and get all your questions you may have answered.

You have found the best site on the net. We are so glad you are here and we are here to help you through this. Really, you will do just fine. You are in good hands.

Best wishes to you and a lot of s
Unread 05-24-2002, 12:59 PM
being scared about upcoming hyst.

Hi Rena,

This is my first post to the forum so probably longer than most (I promise to be shorter in the future). I have already found the information helpful, and am just very glad this website is here. I looked at the photos of some of the women who are part of this (website? forum?) and just smiled because they look so nice and friendly. It seems like a wonderful "community" to be a part of.

I can sure understand why you are scared. Maybe it will help if you know more about what to expect from the surgery, and about your recovery. My way of preparing for my partial hyst (at the end of July) is to get as much information as possible beforehand. Also, my GYN recommended a book/tape set (you need to get both) called "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster," by Peggy Huddleston & Christine Northrup (please excuse this newbie if that's already been suggested - I haven't read all the replies yet).

My GYN told me she would be glad to say some positive, healing affirmations aloud during the surgery. I was surprised and gratified by her knowledge and interest in the importance of the mind-body connection in surgery and healing. Maybe your doctor would be willing to do this?

There's another good book recommended here called, "Hysterectomy Before and After." I am going to order that one from Amazon.com this weekend so I willl know better what to expect about the surgery.

I am feeling pretty anxious now, two months out, but have accepted that it is necessary: a precancerous condition not successfully treated with hormone adjustments - estrogen and natural progesterone - over the last two years. So for me, it's time, but I am not looking forward to the actual surgery!

Wishing you the very fastest healing,

Bess
Unread 05-24-2002, 02:08 PM
I am soooo scared

Hi all new and welcome to Hyster Sisters!

Have you read the pull-down menus on the main page yet? www.hystersisters.com There is a lot of information on this site and those menus helped me answer questions and gather questions for me to ask my doctor.

Did you know we have a chat room? Please follow this link to learn more about chatting! https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...?s=&forumid=23

It's totally normal to be scared, girl, you are human! If you weren't scared, then, I would be worried about you, okay?

Sara

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register