whats normal size? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

whats normal size? whats normal size?

Unread 05-24-2002, 08:21 AM
whats normal size?

Hello ladies,
Just wondering if any one knows the normal size of a uterus and ovaries, in inches or cm anything other than like walnut size or pair sizes? Or a site where I can find out, I haven't had any luck.

TAH poss BSO Fibroids,enlarged uterus,sick cervix stage 3
menmorrhagia,anemia.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 10:24 AM
whats normal size?

ezluvnz,

As I have found out, size of uterus can and will vary per person depending on if they have ever been pregnant. My uterus was 6 week size at time of hyster and doc noted it as normal. I had been pregnant 5 times. As far as ovaries, not sure but they resemble walnuts (I know you asked for inches or cm's). Maybe get a walnut and measure it? I don't know of any site where you can find this info out, sorry.

Best wishes

Amy
Unread 05-24-2002, 10:27 AM
whats normal size?

Well I just asked my DH because he was there when the DR came in to tell us the size of everything. We both think he said 8 or 18 grams. I do remember him saying that a uterus is pear shaped which really isn't too large. Mine was 288 grams. I don't know if you did a search on internet if you'd find that or not. Maybe you could call your DR, and ask. There are these purple buttons at the top of this page, search for uterus and see what you get.

Good luck with everything. I am 7 days post op and doing pretty good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 10:41 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh..................

I just glanced at my op report. Uterus weighed 70 grams and measured 8 X 4 X 4 mine was small size.

Amy
Unread 05-24-2002, 11:44 AM
whats normal size?

Thanks ladies,
I was just very curious and will continue to search.

Best wishes

Unread 05-24-2002, 11:46 AM
size of uterus

Hi: I know that when I went for my consultation my Doctor told me that the average uterus weighed 60 grams and mine weighed 2000 grams. My uterus size is a 22 week pregnancy. I am sorry but I don't know about the ovaries. I hope this helps.
Jumpyone

me too (originally)
Unread 05-24-2002, 11:57 AM
whats normal size?

I remember seeing mine in the O.R. and thinking it looked like the size of a baseball or larger. It weighed 152 grams and I was told before surgery by ultrasound that it was 9 week pregnancy size. Here's another link that talks about sizes and types of surgeries. From what I've read on the internet, normal size is somewhere between 50-70 grams https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ighlight=grams
Unread 05-24-2002, 12:01 PM
whats normal size?

Here's a site that gives measurements for both uterus and ovaries.
http://medicine.creighton.edu/radiol...ml#anchor65294
Unread 05-24-2002, 12:01 PM
do an engine search...

I was curious about this too,.. I didn't come up with much, but enough to learn that normal size averages 6-8 cm.
My said mine's up to around 11 cm (about a 3 mo/ pregnancy size) He said my normal average 8 cm,... I never heard that about being pregnant before possibly effecting it, that's interesting. I've been pregnant 6 times, the first three only made it to about where my uteris is now,.. just enough to stretch it out some, I guess, and then I had 3 full term pregnancies with very big babies so don't know if that effects anything or not, but good questions. Oh, I don't recall which sites I came across, but I did an engine search for uterine size,.. I have done a search on it at this site yet. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register