Words of Wisdom | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Words of Wisdom Words of Wisdom

Unread 05-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Words of Wisdom

My TAH is scheduled for June 24th and my emotions are ranging from "Let's get this over with" to "well, maybe now is not a good time". I am not going to cancel as I am really looking forward to having the summer off - heck of a reason to have a vacation, huh? Anyway, I was wondering if any of you ladies that have already been through this had any little words or sayings that you kept repeating to yourself the previous day or on the day of your surgery that may have helped to calm you down. For instance, when I was quitting smoking, I kept saying "you can smoke or not smoke and the craving will soon disappear - either way it's your choice". Was there one phrase that really kept you from going out of your mind? I don't have much mind left to go out of :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 01:38 PM
Words of Wisdom

The thing going through my mind is....

Relief is coming...relief is coming...

I just can't wait...and I don't even have my surgery date until Tuesday

Best of luck...keep smiling, stay positive and keep us informed as to what's happening!

Tess
Unread 05-24-2002, 01:57 PM
Words of Wisdom

Hi,

Please change your surgery date in your profile as we want to make sure to have enough brownies and tea on the post-op side!

Words of Wisdom~The waiting is really the hardest part. You have heard that a lot around here, I bet, right? Why is it the hardest part? Well, this is my version of why:

Your mind takes over and you have thoughts of dying, being crippled, etc. Which is really human and normal. After you get done with those thoughts then you have the thoughts of canceling surgery because you don't want to die. Then, you finally accept that it will happen.

These are the phases of a loss, if someone dies, you go through these as well. Losing your uterus and other organs possibly is scary and we in our minds, equate it with death. (Grieving, denial and acceptance)

This is just my opinion~ but that's how it was for me. You will be just fine and soon you will be on this board, giving your words of wisdom to a new

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 02:06 PM
Words of Wisdom

I kept thinking of the relief I would feel, no more monthlies, and I have a prayer that I repeat whenever I or someone in my family has something big coming up. I just adapt it to whatever the situation: This is what I kept repeating: Dear God in Heaven Above, Keep me safely in your care, before, during, and after my surgery. Keep my surgeon's hands steady and sure. Amen. And like Gadget Girl said the waiting is truly the hardest part.
Unread 05-24-2002, 02:07 PM
I tried

I tried to change my surgery date - but couldnt figure out how to do it. Do you know? Thanks,
Unread 05-24-2002, 02:10 PM
Words of Wisdom

I sent you a PM

Sara
Unread 05-24-2002, 02:14 PM
Thanks

I think I did it - thanks for your help!
Unread 05-24-2002, 02:15 PM
Words of Wisdom

I see and you are welcome! Now I know when to make you some brownies~

Sara
Unread 05-24-2002, 07:06 PM
Words of Wisdom

My cousin and I email back and forth. Our keywords through our assorted struggles are -

This too shall pass..this too shall pass. Repeat as many times as needed till you believe it or people start lookin' at ya funny :-)

And keep reminding yourself how you will feel after it's over and have healed.

Cheers,
Unread 05-24-2002, 07:45 PM
Words of Wisdom

I have meditated for over 20 years. I have many mantras because of this. 1. The Lord's Pray 2. This too shall pass. 3. Take it easy; take it as it comes. 4. In a year this will all be just a vague memory(and that was really true!) 5. One day at a time.
These worked for me! I never even took any medication to calm me down on the day of surgery, and I am always a wreck! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register