Did anyone go back to work part time after 8 weeks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did anyone go back to work part time after 8 weeks? Did anyone go back to work part time after 8 weeks?

Unread 05-24-2002, 02:57 PM
Did anyone go back to work part time after 8 weeks?

And if so, how many hours and for how many weeks did you do this? Just curious, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 03:11 PM

Hi Lisa,
I went back to work as a teacher full time after 6 weeks. I drive and hour each way and have had no problems with fatigue etc. At 9 weeks now I feel 100% recovered. I joined a gym last week, have been exercising every night and feel better than I have done in years.

All the best,
Diana
Unread 05-24-2002, 03:32 PM

I am diving in full time next Wednesday back to work after my TAH/BSO, but I hear many stay home another couple of weeks. My dr. approved me for six weeks off, but said to call him if I needed more time. I feel ready to be back in the real world again. Hopefully I can keep up!!

Best Wishes,
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-24-2002, 05:53 PM

Lisa, I went back full-time on the 13th, which was twelve days after my surgery. I had my doctor's approval to do so, because I sit at a desk all day and talk on the phone. (no standing on my feet for hours or heavy lifting, etc.) In retrospect, I wish I'd requested that she clear me for part-time for the first two weeks back instead. Even so, I'm doing just fine with being back full-time, although last week (the 1st week back) really wore me out. My biggest problem has been insomnia, which doesn't help when one is trying to get back on schedule at work. I've also had pain from my incision at times, but that's because I'm obese, and sitting upright tends to put pressure on the incision.

I think a lot of it depends on your personal situation, such as the type of job you have, and on how your body is responding. Apparently Diana hasn't had any problems going back to teaching after 6 weeks, but someone else might have a big problem with that. (I know if I had to be on my feet that much... well, to be fair, even before the surgery I would've had problems with that. ) My advice would be to start out as slow as you can (or with as few hours as you can get away with) and then see how you feel. If at all possible, take it slowly and build your way back up to full-time gradually.
Unread 05-25-2002, 12:11 PM
6 weeks part time

hi
i returned to work this past week at 6 weeks post op after a tvh. i had a good recovery BUT i am only back 4-5 hours a day and only 3 days a week. i am on my feet alot and up and down doing all kinds of movements and it was MY call not to delve back in full time. after 3 hours i was exhausted both mentally and physically and i have alot of decision making and responsibility. i am going to work part time until i can muster up the stamina. My pay checks will be scary but i also dont have alot of home help and have a disabled spouse so i NEED to make sure i dont overdo everywhere.It all depends on your stamina and how you feel but i have already decided that i will gradually even work into more days and 6 hour days until i am really ready for more. i hope you have the flexibility to do so. i am SO glad i DO!!!
jandrie
Unread 05-25-2002, 12:22 PM

Hi Lisa!

I waited 8 weeks and returned to work for 1/2 days for the first week. That worked well for me; if I could have, though, I would have worked the 1/2 days for a few weeks instead of one.

For me, it just worked best to approach it very gradually. Luckily I was not bombarded with projects upon my return. Luckily there wasn't so much going on that I was overwhelmed, which could have easily happened and I would not have handled it well, I don't think.

Best wishes to you!

(((((HUGS))))))
Unread 05-25-2002, 01:53 PM

Hi,

I went back full-time after 3 weeks because I was out of sick days and bored to death! I have a job where I can sit down, get up, walk, whatever I want to do. Had absolutely no problems. Insomnia finally went away when I got back on a regular schedule. Not everyone heals at the same rate, so listen to your doctor and body.

Debbie

Unread 05-25-2002, 05:47 PM
full time right away

I went back to work this week after 6 weeks. I wish I had could have waited another couple of weeks, gone back part time for the first couple of weeks, and then full time. I ran out of sick time and actually was starting to feel pretty good. This week has been really busy at work and next week we will have someone out on vacation. The last week of the month is extremely busy for us as I work in a finance office. I get up and down a lot and there is a lot to remember. has been troublesome when I get tired. My recovery was slowed somewhat due to rainy weather not allowing me to walk outside along with being depressed about not being able to work in my gardens. :cry: Spring is my favorite time of the year but I could not postpone the surgery. This week the weather was gorgeous and I know that I would have been truly ready to work next week. My dh and I just came in from doing some planting (I directed and he worked) and I feel wonderful.

You need to listen to your body and follow your dr.'s instructions. Each person is different, so what works for one may not work for you. Take care and let us know how you are doing. s
Unread 05-25-2002, 08:37 PM

I had my TAH May 2nd and plan on going back to work part time on May 28th. I had no sick days and work in an office where all the normal bookkeeping and order processing is my responsibility, so I need to get back to pay bills, do the payroll and get all the orders processed that have come in the past month. I will have to forego my monthly inventory unless I can get my boss to help with the stuff on the high shelves and do any lifting. It's tough staying home when you know there's no one else at the office to cover my responsibilities. A temp wouldn't work out as there's no one there to train one! So back I go next week. I will try to go slow and pace myself, but I'm not looking forward to it. Luckily my energy level seems to be increasing and the overwhelming fatigue I felt the first few weeks is getting better.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register