Ideas for stuff to do during recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ideas for stuff to do during recovery Ideas for stuff to do during recovery

Unread 05-25-2002, 10:00 AM
Ideas for stuff to do during recovery

I'm posting this in pre-op, 'cause y'all can spend your LIW time getting things ready to do during your recovery later. Here are a couple of ideas - I hope other sisters will add to the list:

Get out your old record player and LPs you haven't listened to in ages, and go through the whole collection. Perfect for lying on the couch - you even have to get up and stretch your legs every so often to flip/change the record.

Plant seeds in those little ready-made trays, and nurse them to setting-out-in-the-garden size. By the time they are big enough, you'll be feeling strong enough to transplant them. (Hint - prepare the garden beds, and pick up supplies at the garden store *before* your surgery.)

There should be tons more easy/fun things to do - those are just two that popped into my head this morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2002, 10:13 AM
Thanks Horsewoman

I can use all the tips I can get. It's going to be a long summer.
Unread 05-25-2002, 10:17 AM

One thing I have on my list is to go through all my magazines I have laying around and cut out the articles I want to read, the recipes, etc and get rid of the rest. I have a habit of buying magazines and then not getting around to reading them, so I do have a bit of a stack. I also have a box full of recipes I've cut out and am thinking about going through them and getting them organized. That'll be enough to keep me busy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2002, 03:24 PM

Here's one idea I came up for post-op recovery time......

For those LIW's who have shoeboxes full of old photos (like I do--an accumulation of the last 25 years)! Think about going to the scrapbook/photo album store and stock up on items to put together some albums while your are "post-oping". I going tomorrow to stock up. My kids are 22 and 26---i have boxes full of pics of them way back to newborn----I'm going to make an album for each of them. Should be fun!
Unread 05-25-2002, 03:54 PM

Hi Horsewoman- Thanks for the tips they were great. Although if one of our younger sisters pops in to ask what an LP is I am going to be very depressed.

And Shelley2-you beat me to the punch! We all have those boxes of photo's sitting around that never seem to get into the album. Good luck with that project. But if you can really remember where you were when all those photo's were taken (especially in recovery) you will have most of the rest of us beat. Just don't lift the boxes okay!

Emarie- I have the stacks of unread magazines too. It is great light reading for post-op. And organizing the recipes what a good too. I think we all have a draw full of those too.

Have fun everyone!
Unread 05-25-2002, 04:49 PM

Oh my, I remember those days well last June. Here is my list:
1. Watch "JJ the Jet Plane" on public television. Kids' show! LOl
2. Watch "Wedding Show" and "Changing Places" on TLC.
3. Watch "Young and Restless" and "Bold and Beautiful" on CBS
4. Sit on front steps of house or deck and stare at birds and squirrels.
5. Feed birds and squirrels.
6. Walk slowly around your house.
7. Read catalogues.
8. Sleep.
9. Eat apricots, drink cranberry and apple Sips, and drink tons of water.
10. Play on computer.
Does all this sound mundane? Yes!!! You must devote your entire summer to healing! I did, and had very few problems. Drugs and new HRT will make you very tired at first, so take it easy. One year later, I am so happy! Good luck!
Unread 05-25-2002, 08:33 PM
ideas...

Thanks,Good ideas here,.. I really like the one on organizing the recipes. I've been meaning to do that one for ages, and now I'll have time to do it.
I too, hope to do the scrapbooking,.. something else I've meant to start for ages. I also have some cross-stitch I've wanted to do for ages as well,... I did huge birth records for my first two daughters, but by the third, I never found time, and have felt guilty ever since, so now's the time to get started! I'm creating myself a "Boredom-Buster-Basket".......
- writing pens
- notebook (for notes, questions for the doc, etc.)
- stationary (for some good 'ol fashioned letters)
- thank-you cards
- a journal (for personal thoughts, poems, etc.)
- cross stitch
- list of phone numbers (for both casual & urgent needs)
- scrapbooking supplies
- list of movie rental requests
- manicure set
- deck of cards
- tv remote
- walkman
- reading materials (books, magazines)
- healthy snacks
- a sleep mask (since I'll be recovering in the living room)
I also plan to keep my bill basket handy, and another for doing the recipe organization idea....... Hope this helps with other's lists for their "Boredom-Buster-Baskets" too.
I figure I'll have walking to do too, and once I'm feeling up to it I'll get back on the PC periodically too, and I have alot of plants I can water around the house too with my itty bitty watering can,.. don't worry it's not too heavy!
Unread 05-25-2002, 09:00 PM

Lots of good ideas here.
I too plan to do some picture sorting and scrapbooking. I have a friend who is planning on joining me for some scrapbooking. I will have company and she has a reason to scrapbook.

I also am planning on sorting thru the two boxes of paperback cookbooks, you know like the pilsbury ones. I plan on getting rid of ones that I know I will never use and saving recipes I want. The books seem to multiply and take up so much room.

I have several books, including a Disney Guide book. I hope to plan a Disney vacation post recovery. This is one of the ways I am keeping myself from spazing over my surgery. Something to look forward to.

Hope all these ideas I have been reading is helping you out.

Marylee
Unread 05-25-2002, 09:00 PM

Expanding on Tahnee's suggestion of movie rentals... If you have a hobby where there are videos available, this would be a good time to watch them. For horsepeople - check with the local tack stores - a lot of them around here have large collections of videos to rent about training horses, showing, etc. I own one 6-hour set that I don't usually have time to watch - recovery is perfect for that one. I know model train folks have lots of videos to choose from. Other hobbies must have similar things.

By the way, not two hours after I posted about listening to LPs a friend sent me a note asking if I had a record player, so I could listen to a record they put out. Wierd timing... (Seeshelly - s'pose the young'uns have every seen 78s, or 8-tracks? )
Unread 05-25-2002, 10:19 PM

I've been anticipating post-op boredom. The hubby and I went today and spent probably more money than we should buying things to keep me occupied.

After getting a tummy pillow, body pillow (that was so yummy we went back and bought one for my DH), and bed desk (it's neat because you can adjust the tray to hold a book or close it to make a flat surface, we bought:

A children's kit to make 5 mosaics with plastic tiles and a glue stick
A paint by numbers kit
A "sew your own teddy bear" kit
A coloring book
Several teensy tiny embroidery projects (they make into tags for Christmas presents)
Logic puzzle book
An armchair detective book of 1-2 page mysteries that you read and solve
Word puzzle book
Chinese game called "Tangram" where you arrange wooden blocks into certain shapes
A Sculpy clay kit to make little clay teddy bears
Logic puzzles.

As you can see I decided to relive my childhood and bought lots of little kits that I always wished my mother would buy me and she never did. I thought my attention span might not be too long so I didn't want anything big or complicated. We still plan a trip to a half-price bookstore to purchase a bunch of paperbacks. With the remote control, the computer, the telephone, etc. I hope to be in good shape. Maybe, toward the end of my recovery, I can tackle one of the unfinished "grown-up" projects I have tucked into cabinets and drawers around the house.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register