Ideas for stuff to do during recovery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ideas for stuff to do during recovery Ideas for stuff to do during recovery

Unread 05-26-2002, 01:44 AM
mmmmmmmm

I am now 6 weeks post op doing fine......
what have i done ...let's see

I am addicted to really bad television....court shows, dating shows, bad sitcoms from past decades (i attribute this to having been doped up for a week in the hospital and lacking any attention span)...

I have grown accustomed to my afternoon nap and tea

Oh the best... ONLINE SHOPPING...oh baby....downside to this little activity is that it reminds me that I have to go to work soon to pay for my nasty little "send order" ways.....

and finally surfing the web for fab sites like this one....

my biggest concern is suffering from withdrawal when i return to work in 2 weeks.....what will Judge Joe Brown do without me???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 09:11 AM
the list keeps growing...

I still have to choose my tummy pillow, prob. just a bed pillow, LOL, and I'll have to consider getting another body pillow,.. I recall how nice those were during my pregnancies... good idea!
I too, have one of those bed trays with the incline feature, and highly reccommend them. I bought it a year and a half ago for my DH's surgery, and it worked great for meals, activities, reading, you name it... it's been nice for special "breakfast-in-bed" occasions since too... they are very reasonably priced too,.. I think mine was $12 at Freddy's. My MIL got one for during her recovery, and she loved having it for everything also.
I had already planned on coloring with the kids too,.. we actually like to have cooring wars,... rules are you have to color the ENTIRE page top to bottom, and you have to do everything as neatly as you are able,.. no 'on-purpose' scribbling,.. whoever is done first wins, and then you start another race once everyone is finished.... this can go on & on & on until finally we're all sick of coloring, LOL, but it's alot of fun, and it's quality time with the kids.
I also have a cabinet nearby my recovery spot with all their special story books so they can easily get them out and we can read alot together. I'm going to add the word puzzle book to my list for 'Boredom Busters', and where did you find the arm-chair mystery solving book? That sounds like fun too..... You know I've seen those books that teach the string games too like Cat's Cradle and whatnot,.. remember those? And I'm thinking oragami might be fun to learn while sitting around! We also homeschool so the kids & I plan to start our new fall lessons early... may as well, and we particularly are planning to work on our extra electives we've gotten interested in,.. Sign Language and Spanish,.. we'll have lots of time for practicing those too! There are alot of great Sign Language materials out there so if you were ever interested in learning,.. recovery time is a perfect opportunity too! We're in our 2nd year so far, and it's super!
Anyway,......... my list is growing so fast I probably won't have enough recovery time to accomplish it all, but alot of wonderful ideas, and I'm sure to keep boredom at bay!!
Best of luck to you all!!
Unread 05-26-2002, 09:31 AM
yet ANOTHER thought...

For some ideas on activites to do with DH or a friend,.. why not Boggle or Chess? Cards? I'm also thinking of games I can do with the kids, aside from video games & board games,.. things like "mother may i", "red light/green light", "simon says"... my oldest daughter loves to have no blinking contests, and my girls can go on & on playing "rock, paper, scissors" with me.... simple ways to continue quality time....... they also do "knock-knock" jokes, and cherades for me too,.. Anyway, I just thought I would add some ideas for family time. It seems we've mostly been bringing up activities to do alone, which we need also, but for those of us who have little ones, it's a good idea, I think, to have plenty of ideas we can still do with them, readily available as well. It will help them to continue to have special & fun time with mom,.. recovery time is going to be hard on them too,.. they aren't used to mommy not being at their every beck & call, and not being able to run around & play with them for awhile....... I hope this sheds some light & gives some ideas for those who might not have thought of them yet... Just some new thoughts I thought I'd share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 09:55 AM
Ideas for stuff to do during recovery

What I plan to do during recovery is catch up on my scrapbooking. I haven't worked on it in over 2 years. Plus I just bought some new stamps. I'm looking forward to it. I never have time for that kind of stuff!
Unread 05-26-2002, 12:34 PM
kid activities

I found Oriental Trading company has some activity kits and "goodies" to give kids for entertainment for the afternoon. I was planning on purchasing some of these for a few days when we (kids and I) get pretty desperate. They have some bead-stringing kits, some treasure box kits and some art projects for quiet time. I thought some of their toys would be fun to give them to take over to a friend's house when they are visiting; that way everyone can have multiples of a toy and no one gets left out. They are cheap toys and if they get broken, OTC sells them in bulk so you can easily throw it away for a new one.

good luck, sisters! I hope the boredom is kept at bay!!!
Unread 05-26-2002, 06:13 PM

We went shopping today and bought four more books to keep me busy. Now I have about ten! I too am planning on putting every picture in photo albums. Guess I'd better go buy some more.

I'm not doing anything for the first two weeks work related but after that I'll be writing from home working on my catalog.

Oh, and working on my tan, and playing with the dogs.
Unread 05-26-2002, 08:25 PM
Bed Desks

HELP! I have been trying to find out where to buy a bed desk. Where did you systers find yours? I need many suggestions. I live in the Cleveland, Ohio area.
Thanks.
Unread 05-26-2002, 09:51 PM

I got my bed desk at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They had about three different kinds. I don't know if they've got those in Ohio or not.

The mystery book is called "Armchair Detective #1" by Ken Weber. I got it at my local bookstore.
Unread 05-27-2002, 01:16 AM

Such great ideas! I just added a bunch of things to my list! Like almost everyone else, I plan on working on scrapbooking, and reading. I found when I've had past surgeries, the meds gave me a headache so reading wasn't too fun, so I got a bunch of books on tape from the library. I could still close my eyes and get a book in, and the time seemed to pass a little more quickly. I also plan on working on an afghan, and perhaps some cross stitching.

Good luck keeping boredom at bay!
Stacy
Unread 05-27-2002, 04:01 AM

Such great ideas! I plan to do some of them, too. Thanks for the ideas: Only problem is: we are moving to TX in 2 weeks! (3 weeks post op) Well, the stuff is going, but we are staying for the 4 week post op check So, when I get to where we are going, then I can do some of these great ideas!!
Here are some more ideas:
1. painting (be sure to use smock) (but think of the surreal, post op/coming out of anesthesia possiblities!)
2. writing up you hysterstory for your family 's use later (wish mother had done that 30 years ago)
3. getting back to piano
4. sewing (an embroidery machine would be fun)
5. practise your handwriting with Spencerian writing lessons (don't forget the cool writing pens)
6. planning for your own trading places style makeover (sisters are good for this) Must watch all those episodes on the tube first, though!
7. homeschoolers: (we were hsers) use the operation for older kids to study anatomy, surgery, and microscopic work, get new science catalog: Frey, Pitsco, Kemtech, or HomeTraining Tools, for example.) and preparing meals.
8. Organising your grandmothers' (or greatgrandmums') recipes. (with copies for other family members', of course.)
9. Learning that new, complicated program (I have one of these which I am going to learn :/)
10. geneology research online
11. planning a smart, new wardrobe for that great new body (I hope!)
12. writing/chatting with your hystersisters!

So glad to be on the other side!!!
Kathleen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register