Anemia??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-25-2002, 04:29 PM
Anemia???

I was looking over the last labs they did on April 5 and noticed that my hematocrit was 39.4, which is good. Well, last Saturday, I went to bank blood and it was down to 36. I had to go back today,( 1 week later), to give my second pint and my hematocrit was down to 35. My surgery is June 6, and I already take a multivitamin every day, and I don't want to eat alot of red meat b/c I'm trying to lose a few lbs. preop. Today I feel really sick to my stomach and very sleepy, which has been going on for the past 2 days now...Am I anemic? Does anyone know what the cut off number for the hematocrit has to be before they actually will not do the surgery? I'm looking forward to this op too much to have it postponed, and I'll eat whatever I have to get my iron back up as long as they don't postpone. I just wonder if after giving this last pint today, if my body will have enough time to build back up within 12 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2002, 04:41 PM
Anemia???

Ask your doc about iron supplements! I was so anemic that I had nosebleeds for years. They finally stopped about 6 months after my surgery last June 6. It did not seem to be a problem for my surgery, though I never did find out my numbers. I ate tons of spinach(cold and hot), steaks, and other green veggies. Good luck!
Unread 05-25-2002, 04:43 PM
Hi Shaw,

I don't know my hemocrit level, the drs here have been talking about my 'hemoglobin' level. It should be around 115. When I was in the castle in April for hemeraging, it was down to 77 and they said they would have to give me a transfusion if it went below 70. The dr told me he will not do the surgery if the level is not over 100 and I have just made it past 90 in the last few weeks.
My fingers are crossed that I will be over the 100 mark by June 5th so I can have the surgery.
My fingers are crossed for you that your hemocrit level is over 39 so you will be able to have your surgery on the 6th!
Right now I take 3 iron tablets a day (300mg ferrous gluconate) - that is the max dose you are allowed per day.
Keep in touch and let me know how your levels are - I will be thinking of you!!!
s
Kelley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2002, 05:50 PM
Anemia???

Shaw B,

The normal value of hemoglobin for women is between 12 to 16.
At 6 one barely functions; rapid heart rate, tiredness, no color in the nail bed or the lower eye lid, dizzyness, etc....
Please call your before taking any over the counter meds. Find out if you are anemic from him. Try the purple search button for hemoglobin, or anemia and read all the interesting suggestions from the sisters regarding their iron levels and iron supplements.
Good luck with this...you are going to feel so much better after your recovery.

Maralyn
Unread 05-27-2002, 01:56 PM
Anemia???

I have anemia now which is being caused by my heavy periods. I don't know what the cut off numbers are for surgery but will probably find out at my pre-op appointment on June 11.

They told me I was slightly anemic in January but didn't treat me when my hemoglobin was at 11.5 with 12 being the low end of normal & my hematocrit was 35 which I believe is the low end of that. When it dropped in February to a hemoglobin of 11 & hematocrit of 33, they started treating me for anemia. I take 1 ferrous gluconate tablet per day right now. My hemoglobin was 11.5 last month which was the 1st time its been taken since February but I don't know what my hematocrit was.

Becky
Unread 05-27-2002, 03:08 PM
Anemia???

My hemoglobin had dropped down to 7.8 in Oct. when I had a D&C and vaginal myomectomy. I had to take iron supplements for two months, drank high protein Boost, ate lean beef and liver and lots of green vegggies like collard greens, spanich and broccoli, and two boil eggs in the morning for breakfast and plenty of orange juice the help absorb iron before hyst. in Dec. it was up to 11.5 the day before surgery.

Jocelin
Unread 05-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Hemoglobin level

I was recently diagnosed with anemia. I was worried about my iron levels and how safe surgery would be. For my surgery I was told that 10 was the magic number for my hemoglobin number. If it was lower than 10 I would need an iron infusion (IV iron) prior to surgery. There was also a possibility of a transfusion.
My hemoglobin level was low, but good enough for surgery.
Unread 05-28-2002, 07:48 AM
Anemia???

Thanks for all the replies. Talked to dr's nurse this a.m. and she talkede to the dr. He said I wasn't anemic yet but borderline, and being that that was before giving the blood that I probably was now, and make sure it was built back up before surgery, they put me on iron tabs. Don't know how much though. He's calling it in to the drug store. Thanks again.
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:43 AM
Anemia???

Glad you got in touch with the DR. I am taking iron pills for the same reason. Be sure and take them with food and I have been taking mine with a vitimin C tablet so I absorb the iron better. It's made it a lot easier on my stomach doing it this way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register