Weird pre-op/need answers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weird pre-op/need answers Weird pre-op/need answers

Unread 05-25-2002, 06:31 PM
Weird pre-op/need answers

Okay - so I have a few more questions!

I went for pre-op visit on Fri. (surgery is Thursday). I have to admit I was more than a little freaked by some of the posts I've seen here about the "prep" the night before surgery, but I figured I would just be a big girl about it and either swallow or squirt!

So I get there, trying to be cool about it and the nurse asks five thousand questions, three thousand of which were exactly the same, and then she does the blood work and blood pressure. Needless to say the pressure was up just a bit, mainly thinking of the big poo:explode: I was going to have to deliver sometime Wednesday.

We get through all of this and I finally ask THE QUESTION - Enema or the yucky drink? She looks at me funny and says, "neither". Neither! I exclaim. But how could that be? I have planned more for this than for the surgery!! She went on to tell me that my Dr. had only one standing order for the morning before, and that was to take a Pepcid AC w/ water (just a little) before I came!! I am now convinced that my Dr. is either a masochist or a saint. And I really don't care which.

My question is this though, has anybody else ever NOT had to do a prep? And has anyone else had to take the Pepcid?

I guess I should just sit back and thank my lucky stars, but with the info I've gotten from all you 's, I just want to make sure that everything is going according to plan.

Thanks for any help, your all wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2002, 06:45 PM

The one thing we try to convey about the "bowel prep" issue is that every person is different. Although we all have the same basic surgery in theory, everyone's innards are quite unique, as is their medical condition.

And every doctor is different...so for as many women as there are having the surgery, everyone may have different pre and post op orders!

Many women do not have to do any bowel prep...which is why we stress that you must do EXACTLY as your doctor orders...no deviations! Only your doctor knows what s/he has planned...and we are not doctors. If you want to double (or triple, in your case... ) check, call the office and ask the doctor personally.

But the message here is: Everyone's orders are different....so listen and obey!!

Karen
Unread 05-25-2002, 07:14 PM
Hi Charlotte

I too was suprised to find that my doctor did not want me to do the bowel prep either. But blieve me, I did not feel cheated. The only thing that I had to do was shower with Hibiclens the night before and the morning of. They gave it to me at my pre-surgery testing at the hospital. There were no other special orders. I guess that it veries from doctor to doctor, and patient to patient. Good luck! I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2002, 07:37 PM

Hi Charlotte

I also had no bowel prep. Only instructions were the basic, nothing by mouth after midnight. Once I arrived at the castle, they gave me a pill similar to Pepcid, which will help reduce stomach acid production which is supposed to help with the post op nausea.

So, consider yourself lucky !!!

Best of luck to ya!
Unread 05-25-2002, 08:33 PM

Hi, Charlotte -

My doc usually does NOT have you do a bowel prep. I had to do one because of the possibility of cancer, in which case the oncologist may have had to do work where bowel prep would be good to have.

In any case, I suggest eating lots of water the few days prior to surgery, and a light meal the night before, to help with post op constipation and gas

Cheers,
Unread 05-25-2002, 08:41 PM

Yep, I say sit back and thank your lucky stars, Charlotte!

Cecee
Unread 05-25-2002, 08:55 PM

Thanks to all of you!! I feel much better now knowing that my orders weren't "weird" ! (as if all of this isn't a little weird to begin with!)

I thank my lucky stars and God above for all of you!

Good night Goddesses!
Unread 05-25-2002, 09:19 PM

Nope... got to keep my poo :explode: Just no eating or drinking after 8pm the night before. I did myself a favor though and ate very light. I didn't want more in there then need be. Karlene
Unread 05-25-2002, 09:31 PM

I'm jealous! Friday night at 10 p.m. is my lucky hour for the awful enema. Part of me is hoping it's a mistake and I'll get a call telling me I don't have to do it. Wishful thinking!
Unread 05-25-2002, 10:11 PM
pre-op prep

I also was one of the lucky ones that had no pre-op enemas or yukky stuff to drink. I did wonder if they gave me an enema after I was asleep. They gave me a little pubic shave I wasn't told about before hand after I drifted off. I too ate a light dinner of salad and then decided that after a year of dieting and losing 90 pounds that needed to come off I wanted a yummy treat and ordered and ate most of my piece of chocolate cake with hot fudge and ice cream and caramel and chocolate sauce. Sorry, I should have forwarned anyone who might be at the fasting stage right now not to read that. Anyway, I also drank all the water I could get in me right up to my midnight cut-off. With surgery not until 3:00 PM the next day I found I didn't feel thirsty and not terribly hungry either. Keeping busy helped too. The other thing I did was drink some prune juice and eat some prunes before midnight. Luckily, I'm one of those people that likes the stuff. I had read the posts of the poor princesses that are constipated a week after surgery and did what I could to avoid being in that condition. Now 5 days post-op, everything has been and is moving along smoothly, literally. I had read of another princess that drank prune juice every night followed by a cup of hot tea post-op. I haven't had the tea but my cup of juice is in front of me now. I pray that your surgery goes well and count yourself one of the lucky ones that doesn't need the bowel prep.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register