Weird pre-op/need answers - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weird pre-op/need answers Weird pre-op/need answers

Unread 05-26-2002, 08:56 AM
Weird pre-op/need answers

Hey, Melanie - Wasn't your cake a light chocolate color? I thought that makes it qualify as "light" :-). Kidding aside, I think the important thing is not to totally stuff yourself or eat a lot of constipating things.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 09:41 AM

Charlotte-
My surgery is the day before yours. My doctor also told me bowel prep will not be done---also I won't be shaved. Fine by me! I don't know why some doctors require bowel prep and others don't. He didn't mention Pepcid --- but I'm going to ask when I get to the hospital that morning--makes sense to me to help keep stomach acids down.
Best of luck to you---we will be recovering together!
Shelley
Unread 05-26-2002, 04:26 PM

I had just a small bowel prep. Just one laxative the night before and clear liquids after noon.

I was given pepcid IV at the hospital along with Reglan (anti nausea) and some really bitter stuff to drink. I was not nauseated when I woke up, but after they had me move from the recovery room streatcher to the bed (OUCH!!) I did vomit twice. Not a lot, but enough to send the nurse out for more reglan.

Good luck. Sounds like everything is going according to plan.

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 04:29 PM

I had no bowel prep.
No eating after midnight--could have 12oz of water before 5:30 am!
The nurse did give me a pill to calm the acid in my stomach also.
Thank god for NO BOWEL PREPS!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck
Unread 05-26-2002, 08:12 PM

Oh, I am so jealous! I had to do both the 10 ounces of magnesium citrate the afternoon before, PLUS the Fleet enema early that morning!

I can't really complain, though... my TVH went astoundingly well, I had hardly any pain or nausea afterward, and at 11 days post-op, I'm feeling really great and am still having to remind myself to take it easy and allow everything to heal properly. In fact, I had my surgery on Wednesday morning (5/15), and they sprung me before noon the next day! All things considered, I'd say my bowel prep was the worst part of all! (Yeah, okay... even IT wasn't really all that bad!)
Unread 05-26-2002, 08:25 PM
wheeee!!!

No prep here, I bargained my doctor out of it. Clear liquids only after noon, and cream soup for supper before 6.
Unread 05-26-2002, 11:39 PM

i had TVH , no bowel prep here or shaving as she said they would shave. i was given something in the hosp for nausea i think in the IV . No eating or liquids after midnight and to drink lots of water especially the day before. i wasnt told to eat light but i think its a good idea, and oh yes... not to take ibuprofen at least the day before either.
good luck!!
Unread 05-27-2002, 03:18 AM
charlotte 1128

hellow charlotte, i had my tah on 22-4 02. im five weeks post opp now and recovering well, no problems at all. i was given two suppositries the morning of my opp, i did it myself, the nurse came looking for them and was baffled where they had gone, i said i though that i had to administer them myself she found this very funny and said that i had saved her a job, another patient had told me that i had to do this myself, it was a joke, good job i new her, it was nice to beable to have a laugh before having my opp that afternoon. good luck dont worry it is,nt as bad as having a baby!!!sorry about the typing i have not had my pc long.
Unread 05-27-2002, 08:26 AM

I had no bowel prep either, and I was so nervous, I posted here, was going to do one anyway! I was worried about my bowels post-op! Well, I took my sisters' advice, and followed my Dr's orders. I was to not eat after midnight, but was allowed to have clear liquid up to 4 hours pre-op......I'd never heard this one, and I'm a nurse, so I was cautious, but grateful, since my surgery wasn't till 1pm. Everytime I woke up at night I took a couple sips of water, and then some in the morning. I didn't take pepcid, but in the past I have taken that before general anesthesia. This time, I was given Zofran IV in the OR.....that is one of the better nausea medications, and worked great, not even a hint of nausea! And talking about meds, to relax, I asked the anesthesiologist for something while I waited, expecting to be given valium or ativan, which are both good drugs, but instead got Versed, which is way better in my book! Wow, I was so relaxed, and yet could still walk and talk comfortably!
As for my bowels post-op, it was 6 days before I went, but it was not uncomfortable....I had gas, yes, but gas-x and warm tea helped. For constipation I started colace and prune juice and have had very little trouble.
Sorry, I babbled........good luck on your trip to the castle, your wait is almost over! (and the wait *is* the hard part!!!!)
Unread 05-27-2002, 09:56 AM
DONT QUITE KNOW WHAT IM DOING.

HELLOW, I DONT KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING IM NOT TOO GOOD ON THE PC YET. I HAD A TAH ON APRIL 22ND I WAS IN A LOT OF PAIN, IT SEEMS THAT I DID NOT NEED TO HAVE A HYSTERECTOMY BUT THEY DID ONE ANYWAY, THE DOC DISCOVERED THAT ONE OF THE METAL CLIPS HAD COME OFF OF MY TUBE FROM BEING STERILISED THIS IS WHAT WAS CAUSING THE PAIN! I DID GO FOR A SECOND OPPINION THE WEEK BEFORE MY OPP WAS DUE, THE SURGEON ASSURED ME THAT I HAD SCAR TISSUE AND THAT WAS WHAT WAS CAUSING THE PAIN. I WAS NOT MOST PLEASED ALTHOUGH IM GLAD I HAD IT DONE NOW, HAS ANYONE ELSE EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM, I PUT UP WITH THE PAIN FOR NINE MONTHS, NO PAIN-KILLERS WORKED NOW I KNOW WHY.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register