Big Bowel Prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Big Bowel Prep Big Bowel Prep

Unread 05-26-2002, 06:22 AM
Big Bowel Prep

I am new to the forum with a lavh scheduled for 5-28.

At my pre-op appt. I was very surprised to learn that I must have a bowel prep. My DR does not prescribe them for any type of hysterectomy except LAVH. The prep involves clear liquids on the day before surgery and drinking 8 oz of Magnesium Citrate and then, one hour later drinking as much of the gallon of nulitly as I possibly can. (Maybe that won't be too much.) Any hints??

JaneR
LAVH 5-28 due to fibroids, excessive bleeding and mass on right ovary.
57 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 06:41 AM
Jane

Looks like we're hyster buddies. Going to the castle the same day. I found out at my pre-op Thursday that my doctor has ordered an enema to be done at the hospital. I was really hoping I could do it at home or at least do what you are doing.

I don't think what they told you to take is too much. From what I've read on here, that is normal. They definitely want your bowels completely cleaned out. Less chance of nicks to other areas during the surgery.

Best of luck to you Jane. I will be thinking about you Tuesday.
We will soon be

Let me know how your stay went after your home and feeling up to it.

Unread 05-26-2002, 06:47 AM
Big Bowel Prep

Hi Jane,

Welcome to Hystersisters!! I'm glad that you found us. I had a TVH, and had to use a Fleet's enema, but if you do a search (3rd little purple button from the right at the top of this page) on bowel prep you will find lots of threads about the subject.

Have you read our pre-op and post-op hints? You can find them here:

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

Hysterectomy Recovery Articles

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2002, 05:18 PM
Bowels

Hi! Welcome!

I had a concern about bowel prep too. Lots of good advice here! I have to have something called a physo-soda? (spelling?)! Sounds better than an enema, but I'll bet it's not! LOL

Already told my DH to stay out of my way once I start taking it. If he has any plans to use the bathroom, it better be the one in his Mom's house! LOL

Just keep telling yourself that it is only yourself you are hurting if you don't follow your Dr.'s instructions.

Good Luck!
Unread 05-27-2002, 07:11 PM
Big Bowel Prep

Some good advice I learned here (and it really did help...)

Eat lightly for a couple of days before the prep...no meat, nothing heavy or fatty. Easy in, easy out!

Keep the golytely COLD...shake it often before you drink it, and use a STRAW. I learned from my 8 million ultrasounds that it's much easier to drink large amounts of liquid with a straw than any other way. Even if it makes you a little gassy, believe me, it won't make much difference since it's all coming out anyway!

Invest in the softest TP you can find...no bargain brands for this adventure.

Get some baby wipes with aloe and no alcohol. Your bottom will thank you! Then buy the new issue of The Star or some such, and settle in for a few hours. It will go fast, and you can think of it as the beginning of your journey. It's really not that bad!!!

s

Karen
Unread 05-27-2002, 07:21 PM
Did that for colonoscopy

in January. It is no fun. I did the phospho soda stuff. A friend told em to find a soda or drink that I had never had before (or didn't like) and use that to mix it in. That was the BEST advice I got! It wasn't drinking the stuff that was too bad, it was the thought of it. I am glad I took her advise...I will never drink diet cherry 7 up again!!

Definitely get the soft tp. The thing I wasn't prepared for is that you feel like you need to go when there is nothing left. Almost like when you vomit and then dry heave, but its the other way.
I also didn't realize that I would still be needing to go on the way to the hospital....no fun.

You might want some Desitin or Prep H to use ahead of time from the beginning because you will get sore. I had never had hemmroids until after the procedure!

Also follow their instructions for eating light a few days before and then just liquids the day before the prep, that will make it easier on you!

Good luck!
Unread 05-27-2002, 09:07 PM
Big Bowel Prep

I too have to have the Magnesium Citrate. Not sure what it's going to be like. Not really excited to find out either, but I guess I will soon enough.

OK, light meals, then liquids, then bowel prep, then nothing. Ok, I understand this, but can I really do it? There's a reason I weigh what I weigh!!! I guess the diet will start on Friday 5/31 instead of 6/4.

TC
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:56 AM
Big Bowel Prep

Hmmm, I wondered about what the prep was. For my colostomy reversal I had to give myself 3 enemas and drink the gallon of yunky stuff - be sure it's cold. It's horrible but necessary and it doesn't last that long (it just seems that way).
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:53 PM
OMG!!!

OMG! 3 enemas and a gallon. Oye vey! Here I am thinking I might just be able to drink the magnesium citrate.

I just keep repeating to myself "it will get better when it's over....no more periods..."

Shelley

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register