Weight Gain/Loss after? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight Gain/Loss after? Weight Gain/Loss after?

Unread 05-26-2002, 02:21 PM
Weight Gain/Loss after?

I'm not sure if this is common, but I'd be interested in finding out:

I started gaining weight a couple of years ago & it was all around my middle, along with bloating, pain, cramping etc. I'd had a lifetime of menstrual problems, so with this added I had the MD check into it. It took quite a while to get the tests done & a referral to a gyn/surgeon, but ended up with an ultrasound showing the development of fibroids (early), which was all I needed to convince me to go the TAH route. In terms of weight, I tried everything - exercise, diet to try to keep it under control, but nothing seemed to help. Eating almost nothing only kept me at the increased weight, but nothing came off. My body kept getting thinner everywhere except my stomach, which kept going up in sizes! (I'm petite so I won't give sizes because it probably won't sound like much to anyone else!) I asked the MD about this & she said the weight wouldn't have anything to do with the fibroids, because they weren't big enough to make that much difference, so I just accepted that I was changing shape in my middle age, as she suggested!

Well here's the nice surprise - following the surgery, even with all the fluid retention & swelling, I was a good 5 lbs lighter! In the following week, I dropped another 2-3 lbs. Since then I've been able to eat just about anything I want (more than I have in quite some time) and kept the original 5 lb loss! My stomach is still about a size bigger than the rest of me, but I'm sure once I can get exercising & moving around I can reduce that a little more, but it's smaller than pre-surgery even with swelling & fluid. I'm confident that once I can resume my regular activity levels again & am back at work, I should be able to trim a few more lbs to get into some of my work clothes that have been in the closet for a couple of years.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is weight loss like this normal or is the opposite more common? I'm curious now, especially since the MD said this wouldn't have any affect on my weight...thanks for any comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 03:39 PM
Weight Gain/Loss after?

Hi there SKA

My experience after surgery has been just the opposite. The first time (2-4 wks post op) I saw several friends after my visit to the castle, they all questioned as to whether I'd lost weight! And I had--just 5 pounds, but enough to notice. When I went for a 6 wk post op visit, I weighed 8 lbs more than at my 3 wk visit!! I asked the dr why, if Premarin could be the cause, since most comments on this website have been that fellow sisters have lost weight after hysterectomies. His reply was basically that they were motivated and I was not!! GGRRRR!!!

Granted I did not do alot while recuperating, but definitely ate healthier than ever before as my diabetic hubby was on a very low carb diet and we ate lots of veggies.

Since I don't have a reliable scale at home, I must wait till the next dr visit (about 1 wk away) to see if walking and yard work have helped.

I'm also on Lotensin for BP and general practictioner said weight gain is not side effect. My mid section and abdomen seem to be where the extra lbs are and my waistline has wasted away-- it is no more.

Since the BP med was started while still in the hospital, I'm not sure why I felt better for the first 6 wks post op--was it the BP med working or the results from surgery?

Consider yourself fortunate to have lost wt. Meanwhile, I'll keep working at it.....
Unread 05-26-2002, 04:27 PM
Weight Gain/Loss after?

My weight has been doing a yo-yo thing. One time I go to the doctor I'm up 5lbs the next time I'm down 5lbs. He said is was due to swelling and water retention. If I'm up alot my weight goes up because I get the swelly belly thing. If I lay down all day it is down because the swelling is down. He said it would probably level off in a few more weeks. Rather distressing though. The one time it was only a one day thing went in tues it was down went in Wend it was up.

Time will tell and I'm not gonna worry about it. I'll just
and and be a pampered princess. The rest will take care of itself until I am fit to tend to it.

Tracy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 05:06 PM
Ten Pounds

I just returned from the castle this afternoon and one of the first things I did as I was getting ready for my shower was to hop on the scales (well, crawl on the scales might be more accurate.)

Much to my surprise and delight, I'd lost ten pounds! Of course, my apettite has been non-existant since surgery, but I'm hoping some of it is permanent. My doctor said that my uterus was the size of a cantelope, so that had to weigh a couple of pounds at least.

Lisa

PS I guess this is officially my first post as a new princess on the Post-Op Board!! Wheeeeee!! I made it!!
Unread 05-26-2002, 05:28 PM
Weight Gain/ Loss after.

Hi SKa, Welcome To HysterSisters!! I actually lost 10 pounds from surgeory.I have always struggled with weight so this was a nice bonus for me.Depending on different scales it can be a 7 pound loss from time to time.I had heard alot of my mother's friends warn me about weight gain after such a surgeory I think it depends on if you end up on medications and so on.You take care and rest like you should.Take Care.Felecia.
Unread 05-26-2002, 05:41 PM
Weight Loss

SKA,

My experience sounds almost like yours! I'm a small person as well, and have pretty much maintained the same weight since high school. So when I started gaining a few pounds last summer, I could really tell the difference - and it was all in my abdomen! My clothes were fitting tighter in the waist, and it was getting harder to zip/button my pants/skirts. I never had problems with my periods, so I chalked up the weight gain to "mid-life spread" since I'm in my early 40's. Long about Feb. of this year, the bloating and pressure were unbelievable......I'd wake up most every night feeling like my abdomen would literally explode!

I too was exercising and eating sensibly which also only kept me at the increased weight, but nothing came off. When sex started to become painful, I knew something was wrong and went to my gyn. A 9cm fibroid was detected via an ultrasound as well as a second fibroid (don't know the size of that one). I have annual exams, and was surprised that the fibroids weren't detected at my checkup last year (perhaps they were still too small to detect).

Anyway, my experience was the same in that I too was 5 lbs lighter immediately after surgery, and in the days following dropped another 3 lbs. I have since kept my original 5 lb loss as well! My stomach is definitely smaller than pre-surgery, but a little larger than prior to last year's weight gain (still have some swelly-belly).

I can't wait to get back to "normal" activities, and start exercising more.....hopefully the swelly-belly will start to subside. I'm also looking forward to when I can wear anything I pull out of my closet!

Good luck in your recovery!

Henna
Unread 05-26-2002, 05:52 PM
Weight Gain/Loss after?

My weight hasn't changed at all since the surgery. Considering I was much less active than normal for the first few weeks that's pretty good, I guess. I did have a fantasy about waking up with a flat stomach but alas, the swelly belly has afflicted me. At 8-1/2 weeks, I am finally seeing some improvement in that area, so I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Unread 05-26-2002, 08:23 PM
weight loss

SKA,
Our stories are almost identical, except I am not petite. My girth kept getting bigger and bigger and I thought it was due to turning 40 and not exercising because of a bad knee. I was scheduled for a total knee replacement on 3-18-02, but had an unexpected TAH on 3-20-02. My fibroid tumor was 1000mg and my uterus was 22 weeks. I was asystematic and didn't have a clue. Looking back, the signs were there but I thought it was all due to the knee, meds, iron supplement, lack of exercise. I have never been so wrong in my life! I've lost about 17 lbs. since the surgery. I think it has been a combination of the surgery, getting rid of the tumor that was equated to me being 5 months pregnant and healthy eating with moderate exercise. Plus, all of the water. i feel pretty good and am trying to get myself both mentally and physically ready for my total knee replacement surgery on 6-17-02. My surgeries are 12 weeks apart.
I'm glad those clothes that have only been hanging in the closet finally fit.
Take care
Unread 05-28-2002, 10:01 AM
I lost 17 pounds...

My weight was also mainly around my middle! I did not have a very large uterus and only 2 small fibriods, but I had lots of endo in my pelvic cavity. I didn't think I had lost that much, but the scales kept saying I had. When I finally was out in the world again 6 weeks later everyone was amazed at how good I looked. My clothes are much looser and some I can no longer wear. I think all the endo in me was keeping me bloated all the time...

I hope I keep the weight off as I have seen some fluctuation, but seems to come back to 17 pound loss. A great bonus that I was not counting on since I was in my chair for almost 6 weeks post-op. I did not eat much as I had nausea, but I ate fruit and cereal, milk, etc. everyday..
Unread 06-12-2002, 08:13 AM
Pot belly

Hi sisters,
I'm just 5wks post op and I even had a potbelly before surgery. I'm not overweight and weigh 107 for my height of 5'. I've noticed that my belly looks like it did after I gave birth. It's a little flatter when awakening in morn, but as soon as I move around it grows. How long does it take for the jelly, swelly belly to go away? I'm on my feet most of the day now and really can't sit around the entire day on the couch.

I did notice that when arriving home from the castle, I had lost 5lbs. They fed me only broth - no wonder. Now that I've gotten my appetite back, I'm eating normal again. I don't eat in volume and can't understand why all the weight goes to my belly now. I even had one woman ask if I was pregnant. My response, "I wish I was, because I'd be famous"!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register