How long does it take to have surg. once you decide to? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does it take to have surg. once you decide to? How long does it take to have surg. once you decide to?

Unread 05-26-2002, 03:55 PM
How long does it take to have surg. once you decide to?

I was wondering how long it usually takes to actually have surgery? I know it obviously depends on the scheduling of the doctor. My reasoning is, if I have a hyster. this summer, I need to do it as fast as the doc/scheduling allows due to my husbands and sil work schedule- they are my only help (we have 3 kids)- I just was thinking about it. What has to be done? Bloodwork, etc? I was told last year I would need one, and have put it off. I'm just trying to get my duck in a row- I go see my ob/gyn Friday. Thanks for any info in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 04:08 PM

Hi,

I went to my doctor and we discussed options. He was able to get me into surgery in 2 1/2 weeks from that first discussion. He didn't want me to start bleeding again. I had a problem stopping once it started. Anyway it depends on doctor's schedule and why your having it done. If you explain to him your reasons for wanting to proceed quickly he may try to get you in a little faster.

Good luck and here's a in case you need one.

Tracy
Unread 05-26-2002, 04:20 PM

It took my doc longer. I went to him on May 2 and got June 12th as my date. I had to schedule with a general surgeon along with my GYN. I also had insurance issues. I hope you have good luck in getting a speedy date.

Rose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2002, 05:08 PM

Hi KC35!

I finally saw the gynecologist (after months of testing) on April 4 and am scheduled for June 4.

Wow!! Could it really only be 2 months? Longest 2 months I can ever remember.

I'm in Canada, so my experience is probably not indicative of what you'll face.

Everyone says the waiting is the hardest part. Hope you don't have to wait long at all, especially since your caregivers' availability is an issue.

Cecee
Unread 05-26-2002, 05:21 PM

Hello!

My doc said to give him two weeks notice to fit me into the surgical schedule.
Unread 05-26-2002, 05:42 PM

KC35,

My wait was 5 weeks, but that had more to do with my schedule than the doctor's. She was available 2 weeks after we decided to go with the hyst, but I wasn't ready to do it that fast. The other determining factor is how long the insurance takes to approve it. Mine only took a week or so, but sometimes that can take longer.

Margaret
Unread 05-26-2002, 08:29 PM

I had to coordinate my surgery with 2 dr's schedules so that took longer. I was ready the day he said I needed it to do it the next day (so I wouldn't have to think about it). I waited 5 weeks and was actually glad for the time. I completely organized my house for the helpers after my surgery so no problems would arise. The time was quickly filled that way.
Unread 05-26-2002, 08:35 PM
quickie

I saw my dr on april 26th, told him the big decision on the 27th, scheduled on May14th after being TOLD the day on the 9th. Confused yet?
Unread 05-26-2002, 08:56 PM

My Dr. said 4 weeks ahead, but he preferred to do it after I was done with my period. So, ask your Dr. and see what he can do for you. I told him that I wanted to do it this year but had to talk to DH and my boss. Got back to him same day and scheduled it exactly 4 weeks later. I'm happy about that! Going to take the pill until 1 week before surgery to have the period out of the way (hopefully, the crazy thing ) So, ask away, as I had a full typed page of questions, including scheduling. He laughed and sat down with me. Cool guy. Hope I helped some. Take care!
Unread 05-26-2002, 08:57 PM

Hi KC35,
I had a pretty catastrophic prolapse and went to my DR within a few days. Once she saw me, it was only a week and a half until I had the surgery. She just requested the first available date the hospital had. Like you, I had constraints -- I had a committment to be in Japan and my DR told me she wouldn't let me go unless it had been 6 weeks or more since my surgery. Luckily I made it with a few days to spare and everything went fine!
Good luck scheduling yours...
s,
- Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register